test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Romulan Storyline Rework

Comments

• kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    this is their reason and it wont change.
    and yet that reason has been destroyed by players... and it was posted just a handful of posts just above yours no less
    He's integrated in the storyline, his presence is assumed. Changing that means reworking the story-line. But if that's the only reason for a revamp, then it's simply insufficient.

The Romulan entry story arcs still are among the best in terms of story-telling and map design in the game. Until that changes, there is just no sufficient reason to start a rework of them.

since you apparently didn't read my original post in this thread, I agree a re-write is highly unlikely. Specifically because it IS the best arc in game atm... and it still has terribad points... I was simple pointing out to mirror that the "developer given reason" has been debunked by dozens of players already
    feiqa wrote: »

Something else I would LOVE to see, and possibly more likely to happen, is Veril, Satra, D'vex, and even token bigass thug guy get more voiced lines so the plot is less about Tovan and more about your whole crew talking and interacting. It wouldn't fix the Tovan issue but itd make it a bit less annoying and greatly improve the experience by elevating OTHER characters up to a similar state.

Okay This I could really get behind. Finding Veril's father and she is in the party with you and no reaction at all? Seemed flat.

And this might seem trivial, but the beginning where you are asked to join D'tan. You can reply ready to jump right in or say you are not interested. Either way, you are at the fleet and have to say yes. Can we either lose the reluctant line since it never comes up again. Or better yet, use it. Maybe we help out on a few missions but we don't get the RR uniform chit since we didn't join up. Or maybe instead of dropped in the office and have to accept, D'tan talks to us to convince us that unity is better than running and hiding. After all it wasn't his group that attacked Virinat. It was the Tal Shiar with unknown alien allies. Or maybe when you try and find a new home for yourself and your ship full of refugees you keep hitting those Tal Shiar enforcers till you find you are assumed to be with D'tan anyway and no one else will take you in since you seem to be a trouble magnet.

that would be awesome
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    jexsamx wrote: »
    nightken wrote: »
    4. and this is the one that gets me, he gives orders. bad enough we get it from people who we both outrank and aren't part of the republic. but on my own ship! from a crew member? if I had any choice in the matter I space him for a white boff in a heartbeat.

See, I can't remember this ever happening. I recall quite a few recommendations, but never an order. Do you remember where these orders given occurred, and what the context was?

too many and been too long to pick out, try every time it has to be him speaking. the phrasing was never a recommendation. it was "go here" and "do this." not "I think we should" and "this would best" unlike every other boff in the game. thats why I don't replay early rom stuff, unlike the klingon only stuff, which I do when ever some groups of players get too annoying.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    coolbatman wrote: »
    very simple, just allow the option to dismiss him AFTER you find his sister at the end of the nimbus III arc...like you go to new rom or the rom floatilla to drop them both off to live happily ever after.......and btw where is my s'harien sword, i found it right ???? shouldn't i get a gold sword melee weapon to show that ??? i mean how many klingons are running around with the shard of kahaless ????​​

you'll get it when kdf get to get the real thing... so never.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Overall, I do not have a problem with Tovan Khev. He is useful for low to mid level characters. People who can afford to buy a SRO can replace him on the bridge at higher levels. So what? He takes up one Boff slot. Cryptic gives you plenty of Boff slots by the time players have reached level 50.

You also have the option to purchase additional Boff slots from the C-Store so it is not like Toven Khev is truly limiting players to a fixed number of Boffs to choose from. Don't feel like paying for Boff slots and don't like Tovan Khev at all? Then perhaps the Romulan Faction is not the right choice to play.

With LoR Cryptic attempted to do something different with storytelling which is some direct feedback from someone your character knows in the game. It also adds in a very short story arc interwoven into the mainstory. Obviously, this was a failed experiment because of all the backlash around Toven Khev. Thus, you should take solace in the fact that Cryptic will never attempt to flesh out the main story on a more personal level of a future Boff.

If there was to be a change to the Romulan Republic, it would be to make them a full faction. But that will probably not happen due to the fleet system. I am not in a fleet, but I assume there are Romulan players that are part of Fed / KDF fleets. Making the RR a full faction would ideally mean that Romulan captains should only be able to join RR fleets; thus they must break thier Fed / KDF fleet ties.

From a logical point of view it was stupid to have the Romulans be allied to both the Fed and KDF during the so called "war". That would not happen in real life. At best the RR would have bilateral non-aggression treaties with both Fed and KDF making the RR neutral. Otherwise the Romulans would be working for the enemy from both point of views.

It would also eventually lead to civil war within the RR where you have one faction that supports the Fed and the other faction support the KDF during war conditions. Such a situation would split Romulan populous in half so there would then be three Romulan factions including the non-playable remanence of the Romulan Empire. You would think that D'Tan is the Tal Shiar's (Romulan Empire) best operative because splitting the Romulan Republic into to ideological factions will allow the Romulan Empire to conquer each faction individually. Thus, allowing the Tal Shiar to expand it's reach and realize it's goal to subjugate all (or at least most) Romulans under it's rule.
    Anywaste...

This topic does not accomplish anything other than beating a dead horse.
    edited March 2016
    sophlogimo wrote: »

INDIVIDUALITY.

INDIVIDUAL. CREW. FOR. EACH. PLAYER.

Which is incompatible with a boff that everyone has. Let us rename him, let us dismiss him, whatever.

NO, THE INTEGRATION INTO THE STORYLINE IS IRRELEVANT. IT HAS BEEN PROVEN (using the Delta Pack boffs) THAT IT IS NO PROBLEM FOR THE GAME IF YOU DON'T HAVE HIM.

Or you can simply ignore him which is currently your only real option. The only flaw with that is when you play a mission where someone on the bridge contacts you... that person would be Tovan Khev.

I never stated Tovan Khev's mini story was relevant to the main story. He merely provides you with feedback regarding some of the events.

Given all the backlash Cryptic has received with regards to Tovan Khev and the fact that to this day Cryptic has not done anything to address it means it is unlikely Cryptic will change anything.

Who knows, maybe Cryptic plans to update the LoR expansion on it's 3rd anniversary coming up in May... but I would not hold my breath. Thus, my comment about beating a dead horse. But if you want to continue to stand on your soapbox to voice your opinion, then don't let me stand in your way. It is your right to do so as long as the mods do not deem it to be disruptive.

Stating the obvious.

True.

But role playing / the option to stuff Tovan Khev into an airlock w/o an environmental suit is not my personal gripe regarding the Romulan faction.

Rather it is the circumstances of the existence of the Romulan faction which basically revolves around it's alliance with both the Fed and KDF during the war and it's continued existence as a half faction rather than a full faction.
    Unfortunately, that is something I cannot simply ignore because the circumstances for the Romulan alliance do not make sense. The Romulan Republic should have been neutral to both Fed and KDF faction; this makes the most sense. If not then the RR should have completely sided with one of the two opposing faction. The only other alternative would be for the RR to be at war with both the Fed and the KDF.

You telling me to ignore the circumstances of the RR alliances during the war and the fact that they are a half faction would be similar to me tell you to ignore Tovan Khev. ;)
  • sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    I think one small thing they could do to enhance the Romulan story is to have Rinna Khev be in the tutorial and be a friend too the player character in addition to Tovan. Then have her be abducted during the mission. That way it makes sense for the player character to want to chase her down too.
    y1arXbh.png

• hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    I've become starved from a lack of Tovan threads. I can feast again... >:)
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    [...]
    You telling me to ignore the circumstances of the RR alliances during the war and the fact that they are a half faction would be similar to me tell you to ignore Tovan Khev. ;)

Uh, dude, seriously. What the Tovan haters want is a simple dismiss button that every single other boff in the game already has. Changing that would probably take about two minutes of developer time. What you ask for is essentially a half-year project for much of the dev team.

I mean in terms of how annoying it is. Not how easy it is to fix.
    edited March 2016
    Like I stated, I am referring to how annoying our personal gripe about the RR faction is to each of us. Regardless of how easy or difficult it is to fix.

My gripe is insignificant to you because it would require a tremendous amount of resources to fix the issue I have with the RR faction. That time, effort and resources are better spent on fixing smaller issues that are easier to fix and / or releasing new content. And it is something that you seem to have no problems ignoring.

Your gripe is insignificant to me because I am not into role playing and I generally am not annoyed with having Tovan Khev on board my ships. I can easily ignore him if I wanted to. Though if I assigned a different Boff as first officer I would like to see that Boff's face on the screen instead of Tovan's. But that is a very minor annoyance to me.

I have long ago adopted the statement in your signature...
    Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.

There is nothing I can do about the circumstances in which the RR faction exists in the game. Therefore, it is best to move on to other things that I enjoy within STO. Though I do reserve the right to voice my gripe(s) from time to time in the appropriate threads once or twice a year.
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    Lets take care of this first

*cast summon @askray or @jodarkrider *

Back on topic
    You know what is funny? Clowns, also backseat driving, and backseat cooking, and backstreet boys (Joey is a laughriot), and backseat programming.
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    Hrm what?

Lets stay on topic folks.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

Did you read the OP? His storyline rework is just removing Tovan
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    sle1989 wrote: »
    I think one small thing they could do to enhance the Romulan story is to have Rinna Khev be in the tutorial and be a friend too the player character in addition to Tovan. Then have her be abducted during the mission. That way it makes sense for the player character to want to chase her down too.

I like this idea. I also wish we had a chance to either recruit her or see her as a freighter captain in her own right after installation 18. Similar to the Break Even and the Azura2.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    gradii wrote: »
    Tovan Khev is always with us... like Kurland.

"Kurland here ...*Static*" lol
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    in other words...this thread is just another "I hate Tovan" vent.
    Go pro or go home
    baudl wrote: »
    in other words...this thread is just another "I hate Tovan" vent.

more "I hate Tovan plus" thread
  • shinnok918shinnok918 Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    aliguana wrote: »
    there isn't anything wrong with the Romulan storyline. I think it does a great job of setting up the whole Solanae/Iconian arc that all factions follow later on.

Tovan is your best friend, you both escape the destruction of your colony together, you don't then dump him and go off to conquer the galaxy, you're in this together. He's your bro, your wingman, your brother (in Army terms), you would do anything for him, and vice-versa. The Tal Shiar have kidnapped his sister? To hell with anything else, thats your primary mission. If you can take down the Tal Shiar and help D'Tan rebuild Romulus at the same time, that's a plus. The only thing I'd change is Tovan calling you "sir", that doesn't sit right. I know the RR has a military structure, but this isn't Starfleet.

i'd take just renaming him to fit my crew. he'd be a Nod general then

There are two things I would change, given chance and hindsight:

1) Make Tovan a Superior Romulan Operative. I get that you can't delete him, as he is integral to the storyline (up to a point), BUT he's taking up space that could be filled by a SRO. Bedblocking. So make him a SRO.

ive actually suggested this, directly, to a dev.

2) The discovery of the Iconian Gate on New Romulus SHOULD be part of the storyline, it should be the last episode you do before moving on to the Solanae Arc (or the first episode of the Solanae arc). And that goes for all factions. As it stands at present (hidden away in Rep 5 of the Romulan Rep tree) I didn't actually discover the Gate on New Romulus until well into the Iconian Invasion lmao

shinnok918 wrote: »
    Youd name him Vega and make him an incompetent junkie who steals your alien battleship plot wouldn't you? :D
    edited March 2016
    Youd name him Vega and make him an incompetent junkie who steals your alien battleship plot wouldn't you? :D

Probably, but then again since I cant get him off my bridge no matter what I do as far as officer assignment id probably give him a good name just to fit the theme. (if they'd make him SRO and let me rename him id make him Anton Slavik and train him to be intel)

Probably, but then again since I cant get him off my bridge no matter what I do as far as officer assignment id probably give him a good name just to fit the theme. (if they'd make him SRO and let me rename him id make him Anton Slavik and train him to be intel)

Yeah but then you'd have to name your ship Montauk
    edited March 2016

Yeah but then you'd have to name your ship Montauk

done already, I also have the tacitus
    @jodarkrider

Any chance with this thread closed? It's yet another "Cryptic should risk breaking the game to remove Tovan" thread.
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    This is Spart... I mean, F.C.T. folks. Moving on.
    /Closed
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

This discussion has been closed.