test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tiered captain skill unlocks UI confusing, tiers unnecessary?

Two thoughts after having briefly been on tribble to check out the new skill system.

The whole tiered unlock thing in the new (and old) captain skill system feels kind of unnecessary to me. It forces you to spend points into areas you might not want just so you can unlock the next tier of skills you actually want to spend points on. Is this mechanic still required?

I think I'd scrap the tiered mechanic if I had a choice.
But, if it's staying...

It's been so long since I've specced a captain, I'd forgotten about the tiered skill levels and that you have to spend points to unlock the tiers. So when I was speccing a new toon on tribble with the new system I was confused as to why I couldn't choose the lower down the page (higher tier) skills from the get go.
After a couple minutes I figured out I needed to spend more points in the initial tier(s) to unlock the others.

My point is, the current UI doesn't convey very well this fact. The old one at least showed numbers for eg 2800/5000 meaning I needed to spend 2200 more specs points to unlock next tier. This new one, while it shows profession totals it does not show grand total to easily know tier progress.

I'd suggest at minimum add a grand total of points spent, so without math we can easily see how much we've to go until the next tier. And put the grand total next to each tier unlock number so it says something like "Tier unlock progress 8/15" or similar, instead of just "Unlocks at 15 points" or whatever it has currently.

An even better idea might be to have a progress bar going down one side of the window that fills as you spend points. When bar fills to where the next tier is, that tier unlocks. So it's visually easy and obvious to understand.
AFMJGUR.jpg

Comments

• dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Something even better, just let us fill the whole thing up if the devs truly feel that their is no bad choice anymore. It's not enough that they nerfed the hell out of most of the unorthodox builds that are actually useful, but they limit you on how you want to build your character. For example, if you wanted to go pure tactical, well, you are purely weak against practically everything in the game. Just doing damage isn't going to cut it if the devs don't also nerf the hell out of the NPCs.

At the rate it's going, there is going to be one build and one build only. Might as well just get rid of the skill system all together and just give us a set of perks for every ten levels in the game based on your career path.

As an edit, Why in the hell is hanger pets and hanger abilities in the skill tree? Not everyone flies those, so why would they even take those in the first place? Because the alternative choice is something they don't want either.