test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Alien Citys Need some help

Ok im trying to finish a 3 part series ive been making and the final mission takes place on an alien world specially inside a city.
My problem however is trying to make it look different from the usual fed kdf or rommie city's due to the limiting amount of buildings.
I was wondering if anyone had any advise or prehaps pictures of city's they have done that could help me finish the city.
0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    Here's a collection of urban/suburban maps I've done. I don't have much advice to give except that you should think about the space as an actual city environment. Use and position objects that make sense for that space.

CZ6Soc9XEAAdZBz.jpg
    CRoHbM5UwAAXxhM.png
    Resort%202.png
    Port%20City%202.png
    Styi.png

Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    You could always mix and match.

Maybe Federation buildings with Cardassian props.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Also you can disguise buildings by attaching props to the building.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Can you tell us about this city? What are the people like. What themes are you looking for? Is it modern, militaristic, medieval, artistic? Any particular color scheme?

So far, I've done two alien cities. The first was an abandoned city on a dying word:

9900_screenshots_2012_03_30_00001.jpg

The other is in an upcoming mission of mine. I was going for a more run-down, refugee setting.

CQ1_Tnih_WEAAi_C2_R.jpg
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    First off id like to thank you for all the responses.
    I found all of them helpful and they have greatly improved my design (still no where near as good as duncanidaho11 or thegreendragoon1citys.
    Here is what i have so far.
    screenshot_2016-02-25-00-59-00.jpg
    screenshot_2016-02-25-00-56-40.jpg
    screenshot_2016-02-25-00-57-44.jpg
    screenshot_2016-02-25-00-56-22.jpg
    screenshot_2016-02-25-00-58-08.jpg
    screenshot_2016-02-25-00-58-24.jpg
    screenshot_2016-02-25-00-58-30.jpg
    screenshot_2016-02-25-00-58-50.jpg
    screenshot_2016-02-25-00-58-39.jpg

0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    One thing you might want to try is more object combinations. That console-block arrangement isn't too shabby but the stand-alone generator and alien monument look a little lonely.

The thing I always do is just question myself why this thing is here and what else would be here if it was. The alien monument for example could have a small plinth (a block of a different color to the "street" set a few tenths higher than surrounding floor) and small plants around it. Then on the other side of the courtyard what might people like? A bench! Bam, a more city like city beings to take shape and you just keep going until you run out of space, pieces, time, energy, or all of the above. :)
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    yeah, adding texture to the ground goes a long way to establishing a city feel. Small platforms added to the bases of things are a great way to go.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • johnnysnowballjohnnysnowball Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    Or differing levels to the ground. Steps up to areas / steps down. Ramps. Gardens. Shops. Markets. Cargo areas? Ports. Game areas. Cafes. restaurants. What things do you see when you walk around a city?