test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

About the new Odyssey

vermatrixvermatrix Member Posts: 335 Arc User
While it's nice that Cryptic decided to update the flagships, theres one nagging problem with the new Odyssey versions that can use a change. The number of console slots are a little too limited on them for so many freakin consoles. Theres the three console set for the new ones, if we want to keep what we previously bought, theres the three consoles from the T5 Odysseys, that's 6 consoles, 7 if your running any of the sets. Doesn't leave much room for consoles that improve the ship. Isn't it about time we got a new R&D feature that lets you merge set consoles into 1 universal console? And before anyone says "just don't use them" That's like buying half a ship for the full price of a whole one.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    vermatrix wrote: »
    And before anyone says "just don't use them" That's like buying half a ship for the full price of a whole one.

Well, I won't tell you 'don't use them,' but I will say that the last half of that statement is highly debatable. Most people buy the ship for the looks, Boff Layout, trait, etc. Many players just trash the bundled 'gimmick consoles.'

If that's not for you, then cool.. by all means use them but understand that you're going to have to have a trade off if you want to use them all. No one is telling you that you have to use 6 or 7 bundled consoles, but if you wish to that's your option, but it comes at a cost. Simply put, you can't have it both ways, when you build a ship you have to decide what features and stats are most important to you and prioritize as such. There is always going to be 'give and take' and you're going to have to sacrifice in order to use them all.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    i never liked the old console's sure having saucer separation is nice but it wares off very fast with the AI the saucer has (seems to love explosions)
    At the end of the day you will just have to pick and choose which you want and if the set bonuses are really worth it.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    Build Space. You have limited slots. Choose wisely, because you can't have everything, as it should be.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    Would be nice if those ship specific consoles would play in the same league as all the others but they just aren't. I can understand where the OP is coming from but as it stands they really are just pointless underpowered gimmicks which are essentially wasted slots, set bonus or not.
  • erhardgrunderhardgrund Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    Well , I agree to some degree. While i like the old odyssey set for the saucer seperation and all the gimmikey reasons, it doest do much in either survivability or offense. The 2 piece bonus isnt bad, its just the aquarius doesnt do much. The workbees are a nice extra heal over time you can trigger in advance but again it doesnt do much. The old 3 set bonus isnt too bad but nor reliable.
    The old set is more for fun i guess.
    The new set including the 4th console however is excellent. It gives decent passives and you can really boost your damage, turnrate and sci cooldowns. The activatables are realy powerfull in their own right and lets you do realy heavy spike damage.

However. One of my oody loadouts mounts all the consoles minus the workbees. added ti it is a plasmonic leech and 4 critseeker phaser consoles. It still gets about 35k dps in isa. Sure it doesnt break any records but 30k is all you`ll ever need.

How about using a loadout slot with all the parts you want and another that is more optimized. You can switch while in mission afterall.

Cruisers ftw!
  • postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    The devs and cryptic are in a no win situation as buyers expect consoles and set bonuses and at the same time don't want some new shiny to become THE pay to win must have of the month, at the same time the lobi store toys must maintained at a decent enough level to encourage key purchases. On decent sets a combine console option will be OP, like valdore console + morrigu console, on other hand many sets would still not be worth slotting for the player that can afford entire sets.
  • thibashthibash Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    I actually like those 'gimmick' consoles. It makes for some variation in gameplay.
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    Personally, every ship with a unique console set should get their own exclusive console slots. Say the Akira and its variants for example, would have 3 slots exclusively for their consoles, which they can slot in without taking up normal console space. But if used on other ships (really, just the PD console), would only be slottable in one of the regular Tac/Sci/Eng slots. Same applies to the Fed Cloak console, only slotting in with the Gal-X series since it uses it for a set-bonus without taking up a Tac/Sci/Eng slot. Annorax alone will have 5 exclusive slots. Gal-X would only get 2 (Supplemental + Cloak) even though it can use the regular Galaxy consoles (vanilla Galaxy would get 3), for the same reason that the T6 Flagships would only get 4 slots for their T6 set while having to use regular console slots for the T5 console set.

That way, it encourages use of the consoles and the time the devs spent making them work is justified (moreso since most "Universal" consoles nowadays are ship-specific rather than truly universal).

As to the T5 Odyssey console set, I found them useless even despite some of the set bonus passives and new passive boosts. You still can't even separate both the saucer and Aquarius at the same time. I'd have rather they just given us a single hangar bay and let us equip Callisto Frigates onto the T6 Odyssey, as well as offer an Aquarius-less version of the hulls to go with that.
  • vermatrixvermatrix Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    I won't comment on the whole over powered argument since people who make that argument are usually using vastly over powered ships already and are afraid someone may match them. I will say that an alternative would be if chevron separation and the Aquarius, if not the worker bee as well, were done as an intergrated feature of the ships simular to how the intel ships have intergrated cloaking which doesn't use a console. 'gimmick' without the set bonus thus not over powered
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thibashthibash Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    Integrated features would be nice, but on the other hand, does it really matter that much if you swap out one or even a few consoles? The specials is what make the ship stand out from any others you play. That by itself is enough reason for me to use them. Otherwise it's just a different visual for the same ship every time.

• raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    It would be a good idea to introduce separate consoles slots for the sets. Then those slots that are used for the sets would be free to use other consoles.
    raj011 wrote: »
    It would be a good idea to introduce separate consoles slots for the sets. Then those slots that are used for the sets would be free to use other consoles.

That is a lot of power creep. That is essentially 3-4 free console slots. Not to mention these sets will have set bonus with them. On top of that, a lot of the newer consoles have fixed, stats on them as well as likely having a clicky ability.

Like I said in my first reply to this thread:
    "Build Space. You have limited slots. Choose wisely, because you can't have everything, as it should be."
    XzRTofz.gif

That is a lot of power creep. That is essentially 3-4 free console slots. Not to mention these sets will have set bonus with them. On top of that, a lot of the newer consoles have fixed, stats on them as well as likely having a clicky ability.

"Build Space. You have limited slots. Choose wisely, because you can't have everything, as it should be."

The idea I have suggested is not for only the T6 odyssey but for all ships that have a set.

• lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    How would you go about balancing these console slots for the ship specific stuff though?

I mean take a T6 Oddy for example, with the 3 new variants it's got 3 fancy consoles, if you include the T5 version as well it's got 6 fancy consoles!
    By comparison the Eclipse for example has only a single fancy console it can equip, there is no set from having all 3 intel ship consoles.

So you either give every ship a single special console slot for only one of the set pieces so it's balanced, or you give enough so they can slot their whole set and some ships end up seriously undergeared.

Plus this is just pure unadulterated powercreep. You must choose wisely with you build so thee needs to be tradeoffs. Want that fancy 3-pc set...you gotta drop 3 consoles from somewhere to fit it.

Now I do admit that this does mean most people never use the ship specific consoles and I think adding passive stats to them is going some way towards helping solve this issue. But perhaps the big issue is that a lot of these consoles are just way too situational, and with long cooldowns they just aren't currently worth slotting. No point slotting a console with a 2 min cooldown that does some meh damage which you might get to shoot off once per mission.
    SulMatuul.png

The idea I have suggested is not for only the T6 odyssey but for all ships that have a set.

My answer would still be the same if that were to apply to other ships.
    XzRTofz.gif
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    How would you go about balancing these console slots for the ship specific stuff though?

I mean take a T6 Oddy for example, with the 3 new variants it's got 3 fancy consoles, if you include the T5 version as well it's got 6 fancy consoles!
    By comparison the Eclipse for example has only a single fancy console it can equip, there is no set from having all 3 intel ship consoles.

So you either give every ship a single special console slot for only one of the set pieces so it's balanced, or you give enough so they can slot their whole set and some ships end up seriously undergeared.

Plus this is just pure unadulterated powercreep. You must choose wisely with you build so thee needs to be tradeoffs. Want that fancy 3-pc set...you gotta drop 3 consoles from somewhere to fit it.

Now I do admit that this does mean most people never use the ship specific consoles and I think adding passive stats to them is going some way towards helping solve this issue. But perhaps the big issue is that a lot of these consoles are just way too situational, and with long cooldowns they just aren't currently worth slotting. No point slotting a console with a 2 min cooldown that does some meh damage which you might get to shoot off once per mission.

Yes, they have to balance it and there are a lot of ways this can be done. For example if they introduce separate consoles for the sets, each set will have an equal number of consoles. Example 2, if they introduce an odd and even number of set consoles, those with the odd number will have higher values compared to the equal or more numbered set consoles. Example 3, separate console or sets that are designed for a single ship can be built-in to the ship and have the number or numbers increased or decreased so it will balance with the other consoles. There are ways that can make this work and balanced.
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User

Totally agreed. The whole point of making the special abilities for C-Store ships into a console was to create a trade-off scenario. Sure, some of the consoles on some ships aren't great - some are awesome, but others are just plain usless in many builds.

So the key is modifying your build. Like the console? Then build around it. But opening up 'special' console slots would make some ships definitely OP. Could anyone imagine having a full 4 (or more) console set bonus, plus a full set of normal consoles? How is that not massively OP?
    chipg7 wrote: »

Totally agreed. The whole point of making the special abilities for C-Store ships into a console was to create a trade-off scenario. Sure, some of the consoles on some ships aren't great - some are awesome, but others are just plain usless in many builds.

So the key is modifying your build. Like the console? Then build around it. But opening up 'special' console slots would make some ships definitely OP. Could anyone imagine having a full 4 (or more) console set bonus, plus a full set of normal consoles? How is that not massively OP?

Read my previous post. I have suggested ideas that may balance the ships and not make them overpowered.
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Read my previous post. I have suggested ideas that may balance the ships and not make them overpowered.

I read the thread before commenting. And I disagree. The balancing needed is not only complicated (and would most likely be seen as a nerf by the community), but it's not needed. Balance is already built into the system by making the special abilities into consoles in the first place.

Intent of the system is clear. I'm not at all for changing that. In the case of the Oddy, the trade-off is clear between all the special consoles and their bonuses, and other available options. That's an intentional choice, built in by the Devs.

I don't agree that you should have access to all the Oddy consoles while running a full set of Spire tac consoles, unless you've made serious compromises with your Eng and Sci consoles.
    edited March 2016
    chipg7 wrote: »

I read the thread before commenting. And I disagree. The balancing needed is not only complicated (and would most likely be seen as a nerf by the community), but it's not needed. Balance is already built into the system by making the special abilities into consoles in the first place.

Intent of the system is clear. I'm not at all for changing that. In the case of the Oddy, the trade-off is clear between all the special consoles and their bonuses, and other available options. That's an intentional choice, built in by the Devs.

I don't agree that you should have access to all the Oddy consoles while running a full set of Spire tac consoles, unless you've made serious compromises with your Eng and Sci consoles.

You do realise the ideas I have posted are not only for the T6 Odyssey class but for all other ships as well. It will not be very complicated to do. How will it been seen as a nerf? Your are right that balancing is already built in to the system but a lot has changed and more changes are on there way. I respect your opinion and in my opinion, it is needed.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,903 Arc User
    The t5 set gives one thing lots overlook. The chevron seper enables a grav well which can come in handy
    sig.jpg
  • tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    Those c-store consoles should be built into the ship, just not sure how to add the 2 or 3 pack unless the system knows you own all 3 ships.
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • quammenquammen Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    One special console slot per ship would be nice. Those T6 passives are nice, but not always incentive enough to put the console to use.
  • g2g#3372 g2g Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    thanks for sharing :)
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,662 Arc User
    Perhaps if they allowed the t6consoles to have the abilities of both sets assuming you own the t5 version would be a solution, especially since neither set makes the ship op at all.
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • teranikuteraniku Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Honestly, I'd like them to be offered separately For 3,000 C-Store Points each, I can use my Tier 5 Console set on the tier 6. But I don't want to waste 3,000 points on Ships I won't ever use
  • joeyslasherjoeyslasher Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    I wish the t6 tac flag ship had a command level tac officer spot. it would make ssence as it the tac verson of the ship instead of the engi command slot
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    Starships are HUGE ! ! !

Although on a schematic they appear to be quite crowded, anyone having seen just about any episode/movie can confirm that starships have a vast amount of empty space.

At the same time, consoles seen are relatively small items, and on a quite regular basis consoles/items taken/scaveneged/cobbled together are integrated into starship systems, even ones found on ships of alien design ....... and some of you can now see where I'm going with all this.......

For the rest I'll explain. The vast amount of empty space, the relatively small size of consoles, and the "proven" ability of starship crews to be able to integrate any and all consoles/items they care to into their starship systems shows without a doubt that the console limitations on the ships are a means of keeping some form of balance. A balance that IMO is

Having broken down and spent real money to get both the T5 and T6 Oddy sets (although the T5 was accidental), I would love to be able to slot every single console from both sets, plus an RCS accelerator, a few pulse modulators, vulnerability locators, etc

Then again, slotting only what I currently have room for and running with nothing but MK XII gear available to anyone from mission rewards, drops and Rep system I regularly place 1st and 2nd when pugging CCA. That shows that the money I spent has already put me ahead of where I would be if I had stayed totally F2P, and I have already become the player I dreaded seeing in last years CCA, the one that spent real money and is now so much more powerful than I am (was) that I have(had) zero chance of placing 1st/2nd and getting those nice equipment rewards.

So, if anyone is still reading, my opinion is that the game does not need ship specific/extra console slots. As a previous poster has already stated, the ships, as is, are already way above any of the non-zen ships, the changes suggested would just make then way overpowered, taking this game even closer to the "pay to win" scenario that a lot of people are already claiming it is.

If anything, they should give the non-zen ships an extra console slot or two. F2P players still wouldn't have the gee whiz, special consoles without coming up with Zen, but they would least be able to compete without feeling like they are bringing a cap gun to a shootout with the special forces.

LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • wargamer01wargamer01 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    I think their should be a slot for things like "Federation cloaking device" because half the ships already get it slot free and because it doesn't have a ton of value since its not a battle cloak its not worth the slot.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    quammen wrote: »
    One special console slot per ship would be nice. Those T6 passives are nice, but not always incentive enough to put the console to use.
    Excellent. That is how it should be.

It should feel like a choice, not a mandatory thing, to slot universal consoles.

(And if they had a clue or the time when making them, they would have turned them into devices a long time ago and maybe given all ships the same number of device slots. Passives belong into console slots, activatable powers into device slots - That would have been logical. )
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.