test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Should Attack Patterns Alpha through Omega be "narrowed" in applicability?

As the title mentions ... should Attack Patterns Alpha through Omega be "narrowed" in applicability?

Right now, Attack Pattern Alpha is a +All Damage Buff.
Attack Pattern Omega is a +All Damage Buff.

But should they be?

Because Attack Pattern Alpha and Omega buff All Damage they also buff Exotic Damage in ways that (zero sum game) disadvantage Science Captains, who don't have access to Attack Pattern Alpha and rarely have access to Attack Pattern Omega due to Bridge Officer Seating. Broadly speaking, this becomes a case of "because of Tactical, Science can't have nice things" due to where the line needs to be drawn on edge cases of Maximum Throughput.

To me, the solution seems relatively obvious, although I'm sure there will be plenty who will disagree with me.

Change Attack Pattern Alpha and Omega to only buff WEAPON Damage (Beam, Cannon, Torpedo and Mine), but not EXOTIC Damage.

Once you remove the applicability of APA and APO from the theoretical Maximum Throughput available to Exotic Damage abilities, that then opens up "room" to compensate by raising the MINIMUM performance of all Exotic Damage abilities by about half (roughly) of that difference in the loss of APA and APO as modifiers. In other words, try to hold the Max Performance line relatively steady while raising up the Min Performance line. Go through a few iterations of feedback and tweak cycles to settle on a new "sweet spot" for where performance "ought to be" for Exotic Damage in the absence of APA and APO so as to shake things down thoroughly before letting all the dust settle.

Comments

• Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    I agree with the various people who over the years have said APO does too many things. Personally I would remove APO from the game and split it's effects between APB and APD.

On the subject of APA, or even tactical captain powers in general, they shouldn't make a tactical captain better at science play than a science captain, there are various ways to do this, ranging from an adjustment to make APA buff the base damage of exotic abilities and then tune those abilities to benefit more from skill points (soon to be retired) and aux power than base damage, to debuffs to it's exotic damage increases to the outright removal of it's effect on exotic damage. My personal preference is to go for the first option, that way sci captains get a nice buff while tacticals don't have to lose much.
    ZiOfChe.png?1