test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How much have you spent on STO so far...including C store, boxed ships or keys?

starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,237 Arc User
Just curious to see where some of the playerbase stand in terms of spending real money in STO. This is in "$" and just an estimate of where the community is. Please include any C store purchases like Keys, outfits, bank slots and whatever you can recollect.

Thank you

How much have you spent on STO so far...including C store, boxed ships or keys? 150 votes

I have spent about $1 to $100 so far
6% 10 votes
I have spent about $101 to $300
15% 23 votes
I have spent about $300 to $400
7% 11 votes
I have spent about $400 to $500
4% 7 votes
I have spent between $500 to $1000
18% 28 votes
I have spent between $1000 to $5000
26% 40 votes
I considered myself a whale and spent over $5000 so far
4% 7 votes
I have spent "0".
6% 9 votes
Other...
8% 12 votes
I purposely DO NOT spend ANY money in this MMO
2% 3 votes

Comments

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    valoreah wrote: »
    You forgot to include "None of your business" as an option.
    Or the "Holy fracking poo poo, this much" option.
    OR the "I'd rather not know exactly" option.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    No idea. Well over 1000 (€ btw). Might be approaching the 2000 (€ - again. Surprise :p )

Oh and edit: 1000th Forum post. Woo hoo. I can haz cookie now? :)
  • Options
    Seems like a lot, but considering I'll have played the game for four years this June, it's not that much. Especially considering that I've had multiple accounts that I simply stopped playing after a while. Yeah, I know, I'm crazy. :p
  • Options
    reyan01 wrote: »
    To be honest, without looking through bank statements for the past four years, I couldn't guess how much I spent.

I know my first purchase, as a brand new player, was the C-Store Rhode Island class (T2) though. :p

How surprising :p

I didn't spend anything the first couple of months. First purchase, I think, was the Vesta, just after it was released. Some of my fleetmates were very enthusiastic about it. I couldn't make it work at the time as I had no idea that those Aux cannons required high Aux power to be effective (I was such a noob back then :) ) Now that I've transformed it into a torpedo boat with Delta set bonuses, Aux power bonuses and Particle generator consoles I can see why they loved that ship :)

So after all, and at least two accounts and lots of characters later, my first C-store purchase ultimately turned out to be the best one.
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Enough, the exact amount is classified, TOP GODDAMN SECRET !

It's not something I'd choose to disclose to my wife, otherwise she'd be libel to go out and and one up me in shoe purchases, "(she has a closet full of shoes she never wears !). Or maybe she'd loose total impulse control on wayfair buying a TRIBBLE ton of pillows, throws, or something asinine like that.

Clothes for the family, food, the occasional frivolous Victoria's Secret purchase, I'm totally fine with. I mean, I don't spend money on the game every week, but boy does it add up!

My wife's just not that invested in Star Trek like I am and tolerates Star Trek and my little STO habit only in small doses, NEVER to be spoken about in front of company!

I envy guys who play the game with their wives !
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    I want an option that reads "My wife would murder me in my sleep if she knew how much I've spent..."
    Over a few years, small amounts of Zen purchases add up to a very large number, indeed!
    cc43ae22350cc3dcc61bd51bdbf707c9.gif
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    $500-1000...maybe more; I never really count it. I've opened >700 lock boxes, at a minimum cost of $.96 per key, plus my LTS, and the cash I spent for the Collectors' Edition game DVD. Either way, it's not as much as I've actually wasted on other pursuits in life, so I consider it to be well-spent entertainment money. :p
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    $15/month. I get all my shinies from the various exchanges minus a few small purchases a couple years back (5 keys for the launch of the cardassian box and thr LoR starter pack).
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,426 Arc User

In addition to "Does it matter?"

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    I would much rather prefer an answer like "I chose this answer because I would never be honest about how much I spent on this to random strangers anyway so the figure is pointless"

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Not. A. Dime. I have about $500 worth of stuff from the C-Store, but (roughly $20 for surveys aside) every last Zen was acquired through the sale of dilithium on the exchange. I chose STO as one of my main time killers because it was free, and when you've got as much free time as I do, well, it was only in the past year or so that my ability to generate dilithium fell behind things to spend it on.

Mind you, that's not meant to offend anyone who has spent real money on STO. Without them, I wouldn't have a game to play, and it's their Zen I've bought with all that dilithium.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    I don't consider myself to be a "Whale" but over the last six years I've spent well over $5000 on the game.
    Including my LTS and assorted sundry of purchases for 11 Alts.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I've been pretty good...

From January 2014 thru December 2015 (with a 6 month hiatus), I probably spent the equivalent of purchasing two AAA game titles. I don't really play that many games anymore. In 2014 I only purchased Alien: Isolation. In 2015 I only purchased 1 new game as well, Fallout 4. However, last year I also bought Fallout 3 GOTY from Steam for $6 or $7 during Christmas just in case my physical discs get damaged or lost.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Well, I'm a lifetime sub, I've purchased many ships and costume packs, and untold numbers of keys/zen to sell for ec/dil ... I'm gonna say somewhere between 500 and 1k USD over the past 6 years
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    I've spent less than $400 on STO and I think its a bargain. It would be a bargain even if I spent twice that. I look at hours played vs money spent. When I do that for AAA games that I have played it usually ends up around ~$0.30/hr. For my STO time its ~$0.08/hr, so I really could spend quite a bit more and still feel ok about the cost.
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    5k in hours maybe but what I've spent is between me and my bank account lol
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    angrybobh wrote: »
    I've spent less than $400 on STO and I think its a bargain. It would be a bargain even if I spent twice that. I look at hours played vs money spent. When I do that for AAA games that I have played it usually ends up around ~$0.30/hr. For my STO time its ~$0.08/hr, so I really could spend quite a bit more and still feel ok about the cost.

Funny...you think exactly the way I do.

I try to focus on buying games with high replay value, and this is the equation I use.

Sports games, if you like them, are idea for this model. But it also helps with my decisions when I buy games at GOG.com.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

LOL, I was lookin for that option too. :)

How much? Less than I want to, and more than I should have (or care to remember). :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    I voted "Other" because at this point I'd rather not know...which should have been one of the options.

I know I'm more than $2,500 but less than $5,000...I think. So long as I can afford it and pay my mortgage I'm good. But yeah I don't look at my history anymore. It's healthier for me :)
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • Options
    mrsmitty81mrsmitty81 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I looked back on my purchase history omg I spent too much on this game. What have I done ?

I am a LTS as well.
    Post edited by mrsmitty81 on
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,846 Arc User
    I don't know exactly offhand but it's up there a little...I have a LTS and I've purchased multiple ships that weren't from converted dilithium.
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    Or the "Holy fracking poo poo, this much" option.
    OR the "I'd rather not know exactly" option.

Ha! Yes, that's what I think too Mustrum.

As an indicator, I recently looked in to see how many days I've been subbed: Over 1900 days as a gold member!​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    kontarnuskontarnus Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    I've played for four years, and I've spent as much as or slightly less than I would have as a subscriber. I say that's a good deal, and a good indicator of how much I like the game; I would not have chosen to subscribe, if that was the only option.

When I started playing, I thought, "no way! I'm not spending any money", but over time, when you work it out, it's really not that much. The way I see it, if I spend $20 or $30 on the game, to have some fun with some of my free time, it just means that that week I spend $20-30 less on eating out, or something else that isn't essential. It's really not a big deal.

But, I suppose if you were on a fixed low income, or were a student with uncertain or nonexistent income, there would be incentive to grind out your Zen. Just chill out, the rest of us have some money to spend, and it really isn't a big deal.
    "Intelligence is finite, stupidity is infinite" -- Umberto Eco
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    I want an option that reads "My wife would murder me in my sleep if she knew how much I've spent..."
    Over a few years, small amounts of Zen purchases add up to a very large number, indeed!

That kirk gif you have there is hilarious to me. I wonder if old Shat even had any acting school at all? I know he was in old black and white movies before TOS. I'm wondering if it was just the "Good Old Boy" system that got him his spot as Kirk?​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »

In addition to "Does it matter?"

Right, this kind of response again. The simple fact is, not every thread matters to every person. But quite obviously, it matters to the OP, who asked the question. So if it doesn't matter to you, that's fine. You don't have to read the thread. But if you are going to reply to any thread that doesn't matter to you personally just to say what you said, then you have a lot of posting to do.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User

I got to say...you are in good company. I spent lots of money in this MMO...got most of the lockbox ships and perhaps have donated a good small fortune to STO.​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif