test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

An Open Letter and Plea to the STO Team

kovabombkovabomb Member Posts: 52 Arc User
Written to the people behind Star Trek Online.

First and foremost, I wish to say that I like STO. I’ve been playing the game for some time now and I’ve found the stories, concepts and mechanics presented therein to be most intriguing. There is a satisfaction to being the commander of your own ship and fleet, even if it is fictional. I also appreciate the new content that the team has striven to put together, keeping the game alive.

That being said, while the game is “alive,” I don’t think that it is “alive and well.” Underneath the hood are a myriad of glitches, bugs and instabilities that have persisted throughout the game’s growth. The team has done a good job at fixing the “game breaker” issues, but the smaller bugs tend to fall by the wayside. For some it’s not a problem; they just soldier on and don’t let it bother them. For others it’s almost unbearable. What’s more, the manner in which these small issues have been handled (or seemingly ignored) has reflected badly on the team’s skill and care for the game and the community that plays it.

It is for this reason that I issue a suggestion and a plea to the STO team to fix the smaller issues that have plagued the game and work to make the build more stable. I may not be a professional programmer or a businessman, but I know enough of both to know that if a product is perceived as shoddy then people will stop using it, despite any new features that are made for it. True, new content tends to net the most revenue for the game, but that content will be rendered meaningless if people can’t or won’t play it.

To that end, perhaps a compromise can be made between creating more game content and fixing the existing bugs. And the thing is that the structure for it is largely already in place. Why not set aside a scheduled week or weekend event and dedicate it to “Hunting the Bugs?” During this event, perhaps a special activity or mission could be set up in which the players help locate the smaller issues of the game that require fixing. The activity could be something designed explicitly to test the game’s stability and limits. And while the event is running, the STO team could be working to improve the build while not losing too much time in creating new content. The fixing of the game effectively becomes part of the game’s content.

I hope that these suggestions and items of feedback prove useful. Let me reiterate: I like Star Trek Online and look forward to its continued life. Let’s make it the best it can be.

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
    This gets asked every week or two, sometimes as a plea to stop creating new content completely for awhile to fix bugs.

Every real-world application has bugs, usually dozens or hundreds of them. Most non-trivial open source projects have a bug tracker database to manage the scores of bugs. Bugs get fixed, new bugs get found, some old bugs persist for years.

For commercial software, bugs are assigned priorities and fixed in that order as time permits. Time never permits fixing them all.
  • Options
    This gets asked every week or two, sometimes as a plea to stop creating new content completely for awhile to fix bugs.

Every real-world application has bugs, usually dozens or hundreds of them. Most non-trivial open source projects have a bug tracker database to manage the scores of bugs. Bugs get fixed, new bugs get found, some old bugs persist for years.

For commercial software, bugs are assigned priorities and fixed in that order as time permits. Time never permits fixing them all.

I'm aware that I'm not the first to voice this concern and I'm sure I won't be the last. However, I'm not just complaning, as many are wont to do. I'm also putting out ideas to help solve the issue. And in the off-chance that my suggestions can help in any way, then it is worth saying.
  • Options
    farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    They only have to fix enough bugs to retain most players, with an appropriate percentage of those players being paying customers. If it's not so broken that you go out of business, don't fix it.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    Farranor is correct
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    What makes you think They aren't trying to fix the BUGS as it is?

I've never read any Cryptic Dev or Mod actually post here that They don't care or aren't trying.

PATIENCE is a virtue, and it doesn't hurt to assume the best occasionally instead of the worst.

B)

STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    They ARE trying to fix things, and doing their best. The problem is the dev team itself is small ... which makes me wonder where all the money the whales are pouring into the game is going ... though that's a separate question entirely, and one that the devs have zero say in.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    daveyny wrote: »
    What makes you think They aren't trying to fix the BUGS as it is?

I've never read any Cryptic Dev or Mod actually post here that They don't care or aren't trying.

PATIENCE is a virtue, and it doesn't hurt to assume the best occasionally instead of the worst.

B)

I didn't say that they aren't trying. In fact, I know that they are. What I did say is that some people have perceived the persistence of many of the small bugs as though the team didn't care or that they don’t know what they’re doing... When in fact the team does care, is competent, and puts up with lots of schlock. It’s the small blemishes that often are the cannon fodder for the trolls and complainers.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User

"Because if it can't be perfect, why should we try to be better?" Probably in the top five failures of human reasoning. Right there next to "Other people do things badly, which validates us doing it badly." Elegant how you managed to get them both into one post.

Sure, the two functions aren't done by the same folks, but hiring is done out of one pool of money, and I have to agree getting another bug smasher on the pay roll would not go amiss.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »

"Because if it can't be perfect, why should we try to be better?" Probably in the top five failures of human reasoning. Right there next to "Other people do things badly, which validates us doing it badly." Elegant how you managed to get them both into one post.

Sure, the two functions aren't done by the same folks, but hiring is done out of one pool of money, and I have to agree getting another bug smasher on the pay roll would not go amiss.

I did neither. I just pointed out "perfect is the enemy of the good" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirvana_fallacy

No real-world application is bug free. In commercial development bugs are never fixed in the order of discovery, they are fixed in some combination of severity and effort required.

That isn't an excuse to not fix as much as you can, it just means that we customers have to accept that a) there will always be some bugs and b) some old bugs will persist forever.
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    Chances are the OP doesn't read the patch notes. There are often some of the 'smaller' bugs listed as fixed or known, and every few weeks the patch notes are excessively long with fixes.

Software is always broken, programming is never truly complete. What many companies fail to do is regular maintenance to their software and services, which isn't an area where Cryptic has a problem.
  • Options
    chipg7 wrote: »
    Chances are the OP doesn't read the patch notes. There are often some of the 'smaller' bugs listed as fixed or known, and every few weeks the patch notes are excessively long with fixes.

Software is always broken, programming is never truly complete. What many companies fail to do is regular maintenance to their software and services, which isn't an area where Cryptic has a problem.

I do in fact read the patch notes. I'm also well aware that programming for a game like this is never really done. It's impressive what the team has been able to do thus far and I'm not trying to drag them down. I did not intend for my original post to feel demeaning in any way. The fact is that unless people speak up in a constructive way, it's that less likely that something will be done.
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    azrael605 wrote: »
    kovabomb wrote: »
    Written to the people behind Star Trek Online.

First and foremost, I wish to say that I like STO. I’ve been playing the game for some time now and I’ve found the stories, concepts and mechanics presented therein to be most intriguing. There is a satisfaction to being the commander of your own ship and fleet, even if it is fictional. I also appreciate the new content that the team has striven to put together, keeping the game alive.

That being said, while the game is “alive,” I don’t think that it is “alive and well.” Underneath the hood are a myriad of glitches, bugs and instabilities that have persisted throughout the game’s growth. The team has done a good job at fixing the “game breaker” issues, but the smaller bugs tend to fall by the wayside. For some it’s not a problem; they just soldier on and don’t let it bother them. For others it’s almost unbearable. What’s more, the manner in which these small issues have been handled (or seemingly ignored) has reflected badly on the team’s skill and care for the game and the community that plays it.

It is for this reason that I issue a suggestion and a plea to the STO team to fix the smaller issues that have plagued the game and work to make the build more stable. I may not be a professional programmer or a businessman, but I know enough of both to know that if a product is perceived as shoddy then people will stop using it, despite any new features that are made for it. True, new content tends to net the most revenue for the game, but that content will be rendered meaningless if people can’t or won’t play it.

To that end, perhaps a compromise can be made between creating more game content and fixing the existing bugs. And the thing is that the structure for it is largely already in place. Why not set aside a scheduled week or weekend event and dedicate it to “Hunting the Bugs?” During this event, perhaps a special activity or mission could be set up in which the players help locate the smaller issues of the game that require fixing. The activity could be something designed explicitly to test the game’s stability and limits. And while the event is running, the STO team could be working to improve the build while not losing too much time in creating new content. The fixing of the game effectively becomes part of the game’s content.

I hope that these suggestions and items of feedback prove useful. Let me reiterate: I like Star Trek Online and look forward to its continued life. Let’s make it the best it can be.

Content developers and Bug fixers are two completely different groups of people, with no overlap between them. So the schedule of work for creating content has no impact on the work to fix bugs and vice versa.

Oh jeez... These kind of threads come up far too often. The above is the simplest explanation to the issue raised.

My opinions on this have been stated in a previous thread just like this, and again in one before that, so I don't have to say anything.

... except: Can someone please put this kind of thread in the FCT category so it doesn't get asked every month or so?
  • Options
    mrtsheadmrtshead Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    I do in fact read the patch notes. I'm also well aware that programming for a game like this is never really done. It's impressive what the team has been able to do thus far and I'm not trying to drag them down. I did not intend for my original post to feel demeaning in any way. The fact is that unless people speak up in a constructive way, it's that less likely that something will be done.

The two problems with your position, though, are that 1) as pointed out already, your solutions simply aren't that realistic, nor are they really novel. First, there's already a team of players who are supposed to be out there helping track down bugs, and while as a whole the STO playerbase is terrifyingly inadequate in many important ways, one thing that the huddled masses are good at is "bringing attention" to bugs, usually in the form of overblown posts about how staggeringly incompetent the game devs are, because there is STILL a stretched texture on a particular console in a mission, or whatever other nit-pick they've got stuck in their craw. Not only that, but you fall into the fallacy that many of the so-called minor bugs could be realistically solved during a "weekend event", and there's nothing in the world to suggest that is true. At best, your proposal would be a way for Cryptic to noisily "do something" about bugs, without actually accomplishing much. More realistically, it would simply cause players to develop hysterically excessive expectations about bugs being fixed, and then the Monday after the even the forums would be aflame with people demanding to know why Cryptic didn't fix all the bugs after having one whole weekend to do it.

That's problem 1.

Problem 2 is your underlying assumption that Cryptic needs to be responsible for adapting to the mistaken perceptions of the significant portion of the player base that seems to think that because they once "got" a programming language joke on xkcd, that they are therefore coding experts, or whatever. You even acknowledged up thread that this isn't really about Cryptic not fixing bugs, it's about the erroneous perception that bug fixing isn't happening. I'm really not sure why it is up to Cryptic to adapt to the unreasonable expectations and perceptions of those people. It seems to me that in any reasonable version of the world, we would call upon those who were mistaken in their perceptions to, you know, educate themselves so they can stop being mistaken?
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    That being said, while the game is “alive,” I don’t think that it is “alive and well.” Underneath the hood are a myriad of glitches, bugs and instabilities that have persisted throughout the game’s growth.

Yes but... as long as STO is making money as-is, nothing is going to change. There are bugs as old as this game still unfixed.

• Options
    lyanaarlyanaar Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    As someone who has played this game for 2224 days and has 34 toons this always sounds like its *unplayable*. Most of the bugs are so tiny, you dont even notice them. Anoying...yes, but gamebreaking..no. Also there are many things people call bugs, but are working as intended. I'd rather like more content from the ship designer, than fixing that slightly off cannon on the Galaxy X for example (i know...its fixed...) or a clipping on some costume pieces. I play every day up to 2 hours and all i can say is I CAN PLAY most of the time without problems.
  • Options
    night44450night44450 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Are you familar with the term legacy code? Yeah...that STO's pic you see next to the definition in the dictionary.

This is one of the best explainations, the devs have came out and admitted that adding any new code to the game has a potential the break it, they do their best to prevent it from happening. however when it does they work hard looking for the problem. though i think Microsoft windows was pictured in the dicionary first
  • Options
    jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    night44450 wrote: »
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Are you familar with the term legacy code? Yeah...that STO's pic you see next to the definition in the dictionary.

This is one of the best explainations, the devs have came out and admitted that adding any new code to the game has a potential the break it, they do their best to prevent it from happening. however when it does they work hard looking for the problem. though i think Microsoft windows was pictured in the dicionary first

As someone who's made somewhat complicated excel sheets, I guarantee you that adding code to literally anything has the potential to break it.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • Options
    bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    Sorry OP..bugs have been part of the MMO since inception. As you suggested some are critical others NOT. This is mostly an F2P model...if it was a SUB only model...would be totally different. You get what you paid for.​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    chipg7 wrote: »

That's exactly what you're trying to do. You're flat out saying they're not doing a good enough job, and claiming that STO will bleed players if it's not fixed.