test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

T6 Flagships: Universal Ensign vs. Universal Lieutenant

thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
Each faction's three pack of the new T6 Flagships that were released today have something in common: ONE of the ships in each faction group has an Lieutenant Universal BOff seat while the other two ships in each T6 Flagship faction bundle have a Ensign Universal BOff seat.

For the Romulans, it's the Tactical flagship. For the Klingons it's the Kahless flagship, and for the Federation it's the Sojourner flagship.

Is this Working as Intended?

I need to know because I do not want to buy something that will be nerfed afterwards because of an oversight by the dev team.

PLEASE: Let Us Know! Is that one out of each three SUPPOSED to be Lieutenant Universal while the others are Ensigns???​​
STAR TREK
lD8xc9e.png

Comments

• Options
    happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    thetanine wrote: »

I need to know because I do not want to buy something that will be nerfed afterwards because of an oversight by the dev team.

PLEASE: Let Us Know! Is that one out of each three SUPPOSED to be Lieutenant Universal while the others are Ensigns???​​

Uh, you're worried about the Lieutenant Universal being nerfed...? Look closer before you buy, you missed a rather LARGE difference. The one with the universal Lieutenant is actually short a Lieutenant Commander seat. That's what it lost for the "privilege" of upgrading the Ensign Universal to a Lieutenant. Which is... a pretty lousy trade off all things considered, so it's been pre-nerfed.

All of these ships have 5 BOff positions, and 13 BOff powers they can bring into the field. While you may think that trading up an Ensign for a Lieutenant is a passable trade as opposed to a Lieutenant for a Lt. Commander, since you wouldn't be stuck with a lowly Ensign seat... you'd be wrong. With five BOff seats you'll always be saddled with five ensign powers.

The ships' seatings break down as follows:

Universal Lieutenant:
    Commander Seats: 1
    Lt. Commander Seats: 1
    Lieutenant Seats: 3
    Ensign Seats: 0

Universal Ensign:
    Lt. Commander Seats: 2
    Lieutenant Seats: 2
    Ensign Seats: 1

So you may look at that and think that you aren't being saddled with an Ensign slot, which isn't super useful, being the lowest grade. So even if you lose a Lieutenant Commander slot for it, well... you don't have an abundance of Ensign powers, so yay, right!? Wrong. That ignores how the seating actually works. Every BOff position, regardless of rank, comes with an Ensign position, and just builds upwards. Which means that all that's happened is you've taken the Lt. Commander power, and swapped it out for a lower, less useful, less powerful Lieutenant one.

The amount of powers the ships bring to the field break down as follows:

Universal Lieutenant
    Commander Powers: 1
    Lt. Commander Powers: 2
    Lieutenant Powers: 5
    Ensign Powers: 5

Universal Ensign:
    Lt. Commander Powers: 3
    Lieutenant Powers: 4
    Enisgn Powers: 5

So yeah, for that universal lieutenant... you basically get hosed. Instead of an extra Lt. Commander power, you get an extra Lieutenant power in a 1 for 1 trade, straight up. Not much of an even trade... huh?
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    thetanine wrote: »

PLEASE: Let Us Know! Is that one out of each three SUPPOSED to be Lieutenant Universal while the others are Ensigns???

Uh, you're worried about the Lieutenant Universal being nerfed...? Look closer before you buy, you missed a rather LARGE difference. The one with the universal Lieutenant is actually short a Lieutenant Commander seat. That's what it lost for the "privilege" of upgrading the Ensign Universal to a Lieutenant. Which is... a pretty lousy trade off all things considered, so it's been pre-nerfed.

All of these ships have 5 BOff positions, and 13 BOff powers they can bring into the field. While you may think that trading up an Ensign for a Lieutenant is a passable trade as opposed to a Lieutenant for a Lt. Commander, since you wouldn't be stuck with a lowly Ensign seat... you'd be wrong. With five BOff seats you'll always be saddled with five ensign powers.

The ships' seatings break down as follows:

Universal Lieutenant:
    Lt. Commander Seats: 1
    Lieutenant Seats: 3
    Ensign Seats: 0

Universal Ensign:
    Lt. Commander Seats: 2
    Lieutenant Seats: 2
    Ensign Seats: 1

So you may look at that and think that you aren't being saddled with an Ensign slot, which isn't super useful, being the lowest grade. So even if you lose a Lieutenant Commander slot for it, well... you don't have an abundance of Ensign powers, so yay, right!? Wrong. That ignores how the seating actually works. Every BOff position, regardless of rank, comes with an Ensign position, and just builds upwards. Which means that all that's happened is you've taken the Lt. Commander power, and swapped it out for a lower, less useful, less powerful Lieutenant one.

The amount of powers the ships bring to the field break down as follows:

Universal Lieutenant
    Lt. Commander Powers: 2
    Lieutenant Powers: 5
    Ensign Powers: 5

Universal Ensign:
    Lt. Commander Powers: 3
    Lieutenant Powers: 4
    Enisgn Powers: 5

So yeah, for that universal lieutenant... you basically get hosed. Instead of an extra Lt. Commander power, you get an extra Lieutenant power in a 1 for 1 trade, straight up. Not much of an even trade... huh?

I have to acknowledge what you're saying here as valid--to some people--subjectively.

Objectively, I look at boff powers as being invigorating once the rank of ensign is gone past. My usual stance is Tactical. This probably predisposes me to be ok with lieutenant level powers because for TACs those powers are 'the bread and butter' for the lieutenant commander and commander level skills.

Once again though I will say that I do respect your outlook on boff seating and I'll just wrap this up with the old nugget: "There is more than one way to skin a targ!"

Thank you and may peace and long life be yours and for your family.

--T9​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    eldritchxeldritchx Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    It isn't subjective. The ships with ensign universal have the same number of ensign powers, one more LtC power, and 1 less Lt power. In fact, therefore, it is the ships with no ensign seat that are significantly disadvantaged.