Options

In the Purview of Diplomats

124»

Comments

• Options
    sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    daveyny wrote: »
    Both CBS and Viacom are owned by National Amusements. The new series is almost certainly a sequel to TNG because nothing else could possibly catch on. People hate Star Trek.

All I can say is, Thank Goodness YOU are not the one making any of the decisions for the next series.

It sounds to me like you hate Trek, I certainly don't and would appreciate it in the future if you only speak for yourself.

How did you interpret my statement of fact to mean that I hate Star Trek? I love real Star Trek. But the current owners of the franchise hate the franchise for goodness sake.
    angrytarg wrote: »
    (...) Either STO or the new Star Trek series has to go.(...)

Why? pig-39.gif

STO is just a licensed game, like the dozens of other Trek games that exist and don't follow canon.​​

Wrong, sir! Wrong! STO is a licensed MMO in an environment already saturated with spinoffs and an entire alternate universe now. MMOs have a long-term presence, unlike single-player games. New humans go play MMOs based off of popular new shows they like. If the new Trek catches on, kids will want to play the official Star Trek MMO. And how do you think they will react if the MMO bears absolutely no resemblance to the show they enjoy? Confusion kills off new fans during gestation. The only reason STO did not conform to JJ Trek was because of the corporate politics that forced JJ Abrams to walk away from the franchise. Do you honestly believe they will allow Star Trek to exist as 3 different universes at once? Nobody will know what the frell is going on anymore. Ergo, either STO will conform to the new canon or discontinue.

That being said, I can only predict the logical course of action, but whoever said the human race (especially CBS&Paramount) is logical?

I would like to point out that the marvel universe has multiple "timelines" There are the Movies, The Comics, the TV series, the cartoons and the MMO's that all have there own storylines that don't really intersect. There share some common features but they are not alike. Uniforms, looks, order of events and even world events are different in each one. Heck if some picked up a spider-man comic now they would get Morales instead of Parker as the web-head. Even with all of that, there are always new people in each of the genre's. Some overlapping occurs and people don't seem to have trouble keeping it all straight. And I would like to think that Star Trek Fans are at least as capable as the Marvel Universe Fans. (This is just limited example to make a point).

The point is the fact that there are multiple timelines will not hurt the Star Trek franchise. And as far as I am concerned, multiple timelines will only increase the fandom by being able to appeal to more individuals who like how one medium presented stories and events over another.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • Options
    aliguanaaliguana Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    on the other hand, the multi-verse was BAD for Star Wars, forcing them to stop anything but the official version (including forcing all books/comics/cartoons conform to this official canon). And I think CBS Legal are even more controlling than Lucas Story Division. I'd hate to be a producer on STO trying to get plotlines OK'd
    LUKARI GUERILLA GARDENING MILITIA - Glowing fingers are Growing fingers!
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    aliguana wrote: »
    on the other hand, the multi-verse was BAD for Star Wars, forcing them to stop anything but the official version (including forcing all books/comics/cartoons conform to this official canon). And I think CBS Legal are even more controlling than Lucas Story Division. I'd hate to be a producer on STO trying to get plotlines OK'd

Before Star Wars put a lock down on that, they had a flourishing and thriving fan base that was really creative and passionate about ALL of the content. Since they locked it down, a number of fan based material and fan driven stories have seen some fallout. Why they choose to put such controls in place is not something I know nor understand at this time. But I don't think that the lock down is actually healthy for the franchise, but time will tell.

Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)

• Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    I actually feel the opposite about what happened with SW. Before it was just TOO daunting for me to get into the EU. Now canon is more manageable and it feels more welcoming to me as a previously much more casual fan than what I became because of TFA. (Thanks, Kylo Ren! ;) )

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    gulberat wrote: »
    I actually feel the opposite about what happened with SW. Before it was just TOO daunting for me to get into the EU. Now canon is more manageable and it feels more welcoming to me as a previously much more casual fan than what I became because of TFA. (Thanks, Kylo Ren! ;) )

Not a hardcore fan here, but I did keep up with some of the information as it was brought out. The Expanded universe was never toted as cannon. I played the RPG for it and read some of the books. But when I went to go see TFA, it prompted me to think of all of the information that I know of from the expanded universe. Then I just enjoyed watching it to see where seeing where they went as to what I knew of. I found it really interesting in that regard.

• Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    jbmonroe wrote: »
    All I saw was that the ultimate response to a diplomatic crisis was little more than getting drunk and talking about cookies.

Isn't that what life is about???

Ok, so I don't drink alcoholic beverages, and I'm not obsessed with cookies (I like pie and other deserts too). But for some, it's all about. ;)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    sisteric wrote: »
    Not a hardcore fan here, but I did keep up with some of the information as it was brought out. The Expanded universe was never toted as cannon. I played the RPG for it and read some of the books. But when I went to go see TFA, it prompted me to think of all of the information that I know of from the expanded universe. Then I just enjoyed watching it to see where seeing where they went as to what I knew of. I found it really interesting in that regard.
    Some of the EU stuff was super-dumb... like the Vong. They seemed to have no purpose other than to make the Empire look nice.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Some of the EU stuff was super-dumb... like the Vong. They seemed to have no purpose other than to make the Empire look nice.

Like I said, not hard core, never heard of the Vong.

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    they used gigantic living ships and somehow every single Vong and all their bio constructs were invisible to the Force.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    I think what would help a lot is if we saw the Na'kuhl do something - not the 29th-century Na'kuhl with their dastardly schemes, I don't mean, but the current ones, either the refugees or the government. So far we've seen the government people tell the Lukari scientist to get lost, but apart from that, they're just a political football, so it's no wonder if it often seems that they're just a cardboard cutout for the writers to express political views at - they are.

A mystery - that'd be the thing! One of the refugees really is a spy from the future, or else commits some other kind of crime, and you have to find out which one. The other refugees are as keen as anyone to help you catch the culprit because it reflects on them, but none of them can tell you who dunnit because they don't know, or maybe in one or two cases because they're in love with her. Wouldn't necessarily have to be related to the events of "Time and Tide", it could be apparently unconnected - "While still reeling from the events at the time conference, you are called to investigate a murder..." - and then the strands tie together in a later episode.

That would make Ferris less of a straw man, too, since it'd show that it's perfectly true that having the Na'kuhl around presents a threat, and the Captain can't just get out of this one by saying that Ferris is an idiot - the only way to win this one is to find a way to deal with that threat without throwing the refugees out.

Can I have money for that, Cryptic? :-D (Seriously, use it by all means!) Failing that, it would make a good Foundry plot.

Only problem is that the KDF and Republic aren't taking refugees as such, so you'd have to have a different story for them. What could we use for that? Something where the present-day Na'kuhl take an active part?
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User

Well the thing was the EU was never outlawed from canon like Star Trek's was. As a result it also tried to stay fairly uniform, by that I mean writers avoided with varying levels of success stepping over what someone else wrote.

It also was able to dive into minutiae only hinted at on screen, such as the different lightsaber fighting styles. Details like that which are part of the fabric of the work, but that would be superfluous in most stories are my bread and make the world feel fleshed out and alive.
    wombat140 wrote: »
    I think what would help a lot is if we saw the Na'kuhl do something - not the 29th-century Na'kuhl with their dastardly schemes, I don't mean, but the current ones, either the refugees or the government. So far we've seen the government people tell the Lukari scientist to get lost, but apart from that, they're just a political football, so it's no wonder if it often seems that they're just a cardboard cutout for the writers to express political views at - they are.

A mystery - that'd be the thing! One of the refugees really is a spy from the future, or else commits some other kind of crime, and you have to find out which one. The other refugees are as keen as anyone to help you catch the culprit because it reflects on them, but none of them can tell you who dunnit because they don't know, or maybe in one or two cases because they're in love with her. Wouldn't necessarily have to be related to the events of "Time and Tide", it could be apparently unconnected - "While still reeling from the events at the time conference, you are called to investigate a murder..." - and then the strands tie together in a later episode.

That would make Ferris less of a straw man, too, since it'd show that it's perfectly true that having the Na'kuhl around presents a threat, and the Captain can't just get out of this one by saying that Ferris is an idiot - the only way to win this one is to find a way to deal with that threat without throwing the refugees out.

Can I have money for that, Cryptic? :-D (Seriously, use it by all means!) Failing that, it would make a good Foundry plot.

Only problem is that the KDF and Republic aren't taking refugees as such, so you'd have to have a different story for them. What could we use for that? Something where the present-day Na'kuhl take an active part?

But that's the thing the 29th century opinion of the Na'khul has been informed by three centuries of events, and Ferris was basing part of his view on the 29th century information. If he actually is able to get policy formed based around that then basically he could be willfully participating in a self fulfilling prophecy.

To me it would be odd to see Na'khul aggression so soon. I would think most of their efforts would be tied up in the evacuation of their homeworld for several decades. That said malcontents are sure to exist, but even then, the Na'khul couldn't even repel a small fleet of Tholians invading their system, the idea that they're going to jump into terrorist actions against superior foes seems laughable at best.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    captaind3 wrote: »

Well the thing was the EU was never outlawed from canon like Star Trek's was. As a result it also tried to stay fairly uniform, by that I mean writers avoided with varying levels of success stepping over what someone else wrote.

It also was able to dive into minutiae only hinted at on screen, such as the different lightsaber fighting styles. Details like that which are part of the fabric of the work, but that would be superfluous in most stories are my bread and make the world feel fleshed out and alive.

But that's the thing the 29th century opinion of the Na'khul has been informed by three centuries of events, and Ferris was basing part of his view on the 29th century information. If he actually is able to get policy formed based around that then basically he could be willfully participating in a self fulfilling prophecy.

To me it would be odd to see Na'khul aggression so soon. I would think most of their efforts would be tied up in the evacuation of their homeworld for several decades. That said malcontents are sure to exist, but even then, the Na'khul couldn't even repel a small fleet of Tholians invading their system, the idea that they're going to jump into terrorist actions against superior foes seems laughable at best.

Isn't that what the Bajorans did in resistance.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    Captaind3, you've mistook what I was saying, I didn't say have the present-day Na'kuhl (in general) start being aggressive - I just said have them do SOMETHING. That doesn't have to be aggression! The aggressor would be either some random criminal committing a crime (not war, just some criminal, every group of people contains criminals), or a spy from the 29th-century Na'kuhl who's hiding among them (the scenario Ferris was shouting about). Cologne or Paris, in other words. The other present-day Na'kuhl would be helping you track down the villain, that's the "doing something" I was talking about.

If we're going to continue robbing the headlines for interesting plots, it'd make a good story to have one of the refugees panic at rumours that s/he might get thrown out, and make a run for it, and fall into the hands of bad guys and you have to rescue him/her. Of course, in STO everything has to be vital to the whole fate of the galaxy, so there'd have to be something significant about this refugee; maybe they're a scientist or something with knowledge that's important to these particular bad guys, like the crew of the Nightingale in whichever-mission-that-was. Or if we're talking about time, maybe s/he's some vital 29th-century person's ancestor!
  • Options
    lazarxlazarx Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    they used gigantic living ships and somehow every single Vong and all their bio constructs were invisible to the Force.

One of the best things I liked about them. Which meant that for a change, plot resolution wasn't centered around magical demi-gods, either good,evil, or otherwise. Or hokey crystalline artifacts.
    lazarx_2855.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I was sympathetic to Luxanna Troi's argument,although I am thourghly sick of the character herself. She's also stark raving ignorant of Earth's history. Fear and Xenophobia are quite healthy in 25th century Earth when it's ideals are tested right on it's doorstep.. The Dominion War brought those demons out of hiding in full force. The Undine and the Iconians continued to make good use of it as well. Troi is essentially Picard when we first met him... smugly reassured that his culture and his generation have it RIGHT.
    lazarx_2855.jpg
  • Options
    Disney was right to dump the EU stories as cannon, there would simply have been too much of a tangle involving authorial rights for all of the various concepts, characters, places, and stories in that area. The only real problem was the incredibly bad handling of that decision... Since the EU was never acknowledge as canon, they simply should have been allowed the fate of benign neglect. The EU was simply not feasible with a renewed movie franchise.
    lazarx_2855.jpg
  • Options
    thorodal wrote: »
    tancrediiv wrote: »
    Great writing. Seems like current (RL) events are influencing the future.

I didn't know the Federation capital was in Paris. With the academy in San Francisco is see a trend.

Paris has never been stated as being the capital (neither has SF for that matter). Paris is just the seat of the presidential office

That pretty much is how you define a capital de facto, even if you never get around to proclaiming it de jure.
    lazarx_2855.jpg
  • Options
    (...)

If I were in Starfleet Intelligence I would be deeply insulted.

(...)

That's however what happened. Back when STO launched Drake and S31 were treated as regular intelligence which was odd from the beginning. Only much later when the game "matured" a bit we got mentions of Starfleet Intelligence and tha tthe two aren't the same. Still, in STOs story, S31 is out of hiding and seemingly completely backed up by official channels.​​

The fact that Section 31 has been around since Archer's time, suggests that the Federation maintains it via backchannel and black ops funding for the purpose of having plausible deniability, in other words, Star Trek's version of the Impossible Missions Force.
    lazarx_2855.jpg
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    robeasom wrote: »

Isn't that what the Bajorans did in resistance.
    Different situation. The Bajorans had a clear defined enemy, the Cardassians. The Na'khul have no enemy they can fight, no one they can terrorize that would solve their problem if they were defeated. Raging against the dying of the light will not save their world. The light is already dead.

Captaind3, you've mistook what I was saying, I didn't say have the present-day Na'kuhl (in general) start being aggressive - I just said have them do SOMETHING. That doesn't have to be aggression! The aggressor would be either some random criminal committing a crime (not war, just some criminal, every group of people contains criminals), or a spy from the 29th-century Na'kuhl who's hiding among them (the scenario Ferris was shouting about). Cologne or Paris, in other words. The other present-day Na'kuhl would be helping you track down the villain, that's the "doing something" I was talking about.

If we're going to continue robbing the headlines for interesting plots, it'd make a good story to have one of the refugees panic at rumours that s/he might get thrown out, and make a run for it, and fall into the hands of bad guys and you have to rescue him/her. Of course, in STO everything has to be vital to the whole fate of the galaxy, so there'd have to be something significant about this refugee; maybe they're a scientist or something with knowledge that's important to these particular bad guys, like the crew of the Nightingale in whichever-mission-that-was. Or if we're talking about time, maybe s/he's some vital 29th-century person's ancestor!

I wasn't responding to that portion of your story, but yes you're right it would certainly make for an interesting in depth story. I'm all for a storyline that showcase the different facets and viewpoints.

On the other hand, the Na'khul have been shown to be fairly xenophobic at worst and isolationist at best. It would need to be treated very delicately, because honestly I can't see any Na'khul helping us against another even if they disagree with them. I imagine among themselves they're very tight knit community.

But your storyline ideas are very good.
    lazarx wrote: »
    I was sympathetic to Luxanna Troi's argument,although I am thourghly sick of the character herself. She's also stark raving ignorant of Earth's history. Fear and Xenophobia are quite healthy in 25th century Earth when it's ideals are tested right on it's doorstep.. The Dominion War brought those demons out of hiding in full force. The Undine and the Iconians continued to make good use of it as well. Troi is essentially Picard when we first met him... smugly reassured that his culture and his generation have it RIGHT.

Well only in a few. Others actually clung to our modern ideals even more strongly. Which made it funny having Brock play Joseph Sisko after playing Cartwright. But the fact of the matter is a lesson was learned there. The Founders were playing mind games instead of being a serious threat. The point Paradise Lost was that giving in to those demons is much more destructive than holding fast to your ideals and being cautious.
    Disney was right to dump the EU stories as cannon, there would simply have been too much of a tangle involving authorial rights for all of the various concepts, characters, places, and stories in that area. The only real problem was the incredibly bad handling of that decision... Since the EU was never acknowledge as canon, they simply should have been allowed the fate of benign neglect. The EU was simply not feasible with a renewed movie franchise.

Correct. Casting it all out into the cold was unnecessary, the movies will always be the primary canon no matter what. Anything that the movies established would cast the EU into the cold by default, but there was no reason to throw out everything that the new material doesn't touch on.
    (...)

If I were in Starfleet Intelligence I would be deeply insulted.

(...)

That's however what happened. Back when STO launched Drake and S31 were treated as regular intelligence which was odd from the beginning. Only much later when the game "matured" a bit we got mentions of Starfleet Intelligence and tha tthe two aren't the same. Still, in STOs story, S31 is out of hiding and seemingly completely backed up by official channels.​​

The fact that Section 31 has been around since Archer's time, suggests that the Federation maintains it via backchannel and black ops funding for the purpose of having plausible deniability, in other words, Star Trek's version of the Impossible Missions Force.

To a point. Section 31 isn't just Mission Impossible or Splinter Cell though, they don't just neutralize threats they actually actively manipulate other nations and create problems that they then solve, in their own way.

Frankly Drake behaved much more like normal Starfleet Intelligence until that stupid mission where he put us on a holodeck.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    ak255ak255 Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    Can anyone see this comment? Please respond!