test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sheldon Cooper presents fun with Omega particles!

I'm not the most skillful collector out there. I've never gotten a perfect score. However, following this advice I am getting 2000 or more each time now.

The first tip, and the most important, is location. If you are playing on the ground. Beam up. Last year the mining station was my favorite location. Why? It's a simple map. However, all space maps are better. I haven't tried DS9 space as I'm worried the prophets might interfere. The reason is that there is less going on on the screen and thus less 'sticking' of your cursor - which is beyond frustrating - and makes it impossible to get good scores. The jumping of particles right over your cursor, on the other hand, is caused by missing particles in a level as the level finishes, so you are doubly punished for doing poorly. I would say the complexity of the zone background causes 75% or more of the lag, while the population of the instance causes 25%. An instance with less than 10 people is fine. It is a true joy when your mouse actually moves cleanly where you point it. It makes it a completely different game, where the mistakes are actually your fault, in other words, a fair game.

I am using UI size 1.2, but experiment with this to find your preference.
In my opinion too big = too much movement required. Too small may require too much precision.
Remember to breathe, relax, and hold the mouse gently with fingertips. Some advocate moving from the elbow. I move from the wrist with slight perpetual carpel tunnel from too much time on the computer in general.

Statistics:

Here is a good reference on where to find the 3 different colors: http://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_Omega_Molecule_Stabilization

0-859 = 1 trace = 1 point
860-1299 = 2 traces = 2 points
1300-1699 = 3 traces = 3 points
1700-1999 = 1 sliver + 1 trace = 4 points
2000-2299 = 1 sliver + 2 traces = 5 points
2300+ = 1 sliver + 3 traces = 6 points

In addition, anything 1300 and over awards a small chance at a fragment or shard, and as you can see below, this is worth 9 or 27 traces bonus for 1 game. I have gotten 3 fragments and about 10 shards so far this year. If you can manage 2300 it is 6 times faster than doing nothing and 3 times faster than an average score. Of course remember Q doesn't care about your score but you should if you value your time.

1 sliver = 3 traces (1 of each color)
1 shard = 3 slivers = 9 traces
1 fragment = 3 shards = 27 traces
1 Particle = 3 fragments = 81 traces

Philosophy - you'll know you're getting good when you begin to view each particle as equally important. In fact long chains will become your enemy sometimes because you stop moving and lose the rhythm. In this regard I would suggest moving up and down while waiting for the first particle to get in the habit of moving.

It is necessary to use a mouse. You are wasting your time using the keyboard. However I am using the cheapest oldest possible mouse and it works fine as long as I have chosen the correct location to play (space!). I had the mouse set to fastest cursor move speed but this caused me to have to double and triple click on every interaction so I moved it down one notch and didn't see any falloff in responsiveness. So I recommend the fastest cursor move speed that you can use without messing up the rest of the game.

The bad news. If you work an hour a day for the event you can get 40 or so kits. A kit is roughly worth the zen price of a key - 4.5 million EC. So you'll be making about $1.25 an hour. Still, it adds up.

Here's wishing you all the best in your Omega collection goals!
Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Comments

• jbmaverickjbmaverick Member Posts: 935 Arc User
    Philosophy - you'll know you're getting good when you begin to view each particle as equally important. In fact long chains will become your enemy sometimes because you stop moving and lose the rhythm. In this regard I would suggest moving up and down while waiting for the first particle to get in the habit of moving.

Nice to know I'm not the only person that does this. :wink:

The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    i always aim for around 2000-1700 in score every time for a slither and a trace and then 1650-1400 for just 3 traces there after or for a bonus, 2700-2400 for a slither and 3 traces. occasionally a shard and a much rarer chance of a fragment.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    This thread has already more comments than Fun with Flags! You might be onto something, Sheldon!
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    40 kits? Odd, my math and performance currently projects over 100 kits from grinding 1 hour a day.
    Remember, the resources and projects stay after the event is over, so you can still continue making kits from what you gathered at the event.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    It's annoying as TRIBBLE that the particles jump right after one is destroyed. I always "brace for impact" when that happens.

I would also suggest that people set their graphics to much lower detail settings/resolution for this event.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    Sticky please...thanks for the hints fox-1.gif​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    storules wrote: »
    Sticky please...thanks for the hints fox-1.gif​​

*throws a concoction of sugar, HFCS, and honey on the thread and everyone on it*

Hows that for sticky lol ;)
  • draugadandraugadan Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    A mouse is better?!?!? I'll have to try this. In all the other mini games using the keyboard is much better, and I typically get top scores. In this game I can't seem to get past 1000. So, I'll try the mouse.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    40 kits? Odd, my math and performance currently projects over 100 kits from grinding 1 hour a day.
    Remember, the resources and projects stay after the event is over, so you can still continue making kits from what you gathered at the event.

It is true that I only accounted for the actual kits made from pure traces. I obsessively collect equal amounts of each color. If each search also gives a sliver then you would be at 80-90 kits for 1 hour a day as you say.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I seem to experience more lag in space compared to ground even when there are very few other players in space. I always try to switch to the instance with the least number of players.

Assuming 2,000 points per mini-game, and 60 mini-games in one hour, playing the omega particle mini-game will guarantee 120 traces and 60 slivers per hour. The chance of getting shards and fragments as "bonus" reward is rather small and therefore not guaranteed. If played between today until the event ends on 2/24/2016 (22 days) that adds up to 2,640 traces and 1320 slivers. Assuming the number of traces is divided evenly between the three colors, that works out to 32 Omega Kits from the traces and 48 Omega Kits with the slivers for a combined total of 80 Omega Kits.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    draugadan wrote: »
    A mouse is better?!?!? I'll have to try this. In all the other mini games using the keyboard is much better, and I typically get top scores. In this game I can't seem to get past 1000. So, I'll try the mouse.

Yup...I did it with a keyboard until recently, I don't remember why exactly but I tried it with a mouse and I scored a lot higher...so much quicker to respond than using the keyboard.

Oh yeah...I was having problems with my keyboard so I tried the mouse.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    draugadan wrote: »

Yup...I did it with a keyboard until recently, I don't remember why exactly but I tried it with a mouse and I scored a lot higher...so much quicker to respond than using the keyboard.

Oh yeah...I was having problems with my keyboard so I tried the mouse.

keyboard is a lot slower when dealing with the rows of 4, its better with a mouse in order to deal with the way it gets set out from row 1 to 4 and then back to row 1, a keyboard can not keep up with that where as a mouse can.

i have used keyboard and mouse in the past on this mini game.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Yes yes... keep grinding those particles for me while I sit back and relax. >;)
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    I get grumpy whenever I fall below 2300 lol, as that guarantees 3 traces and a silver.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    (Using the mouse of course) I find counting the traces as they are collected can really can help the hand eye coordination. Also there is sound made once you've hoovered up a particle, you can listen along to that, while counting to keep you in sync.

Another tip, if you get a lag bump, don't worry about getting the next particle coming, because that usually leads to you losing more while trying to get back in sync, look a few particles ahead if you get thrown off, and then calmly zero in in those. its a more efficient way of getting back on track.

And Nice advice Sheldon.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    I've been using the up/down arrow keys, personal best so far was 800... so I should be using the scroll wheel on my mouse?
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    Sticky please...thanks for the hints fox-1.gif

Thanks for the sticky egg-1.gif​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • mmps1mmps1 Member Posts: 381 Arc User
    Don't have a mouse, the mouse pad is even worse than using keys. I just punt the game on and collect the one. Found it to be very laggy in any event. Sod it I'll probably just buy the stuff off the exchange.
    "Mr talks down to the peasants."
  • tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Very good points Mr. Cooper.

I might add its all in the fingers for me. I dont move my wrist, I rest the bottom of my palm and never move it, I use my fingers to move the mouse up and down. I have very good results doing this, I would say i get 2700 on 75% of the Omega Mini games.

I will add, I was home with the flu, in those days I got over 999 of each.

https://youtu.be/dVOc9zpemjA

How I figure how many kits I can make so far.
    Key: T= Trace (Use lowest # of any single color)
    SL=Sliver
    SH = Shard
    FR = Fragment

T#+SL = Total # of SL
    SL/3= SH
    (add SH in inventory)
    Total SH/3 = FR
    (Add to FR in inventory)
    Total FR/3 = Kits

Example:
    Yellow: 1000 Blue: 999 Red: 1001
    SL: 934
    SH: 100
    FR: 16

1001+934= 1935 SL
    1935/3= 645
    645+100= 745 SH
    745/3= 248.3
    248.3+16 = 264.3 FR
    264.3/3= 88.1
    Total # of kits that can be made: 81!

blocknite from reddit created this.
    The Omega Particle Calculator!
    jsfiddle.net/02df7t79/2/embedded/result/

Post edited by tarran61 on
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    I don't know why they went with such a garbage keyboard interface. The obvious keyboard control is one button per row.
  • tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    stobg2015 wrote: »
    I've been using the up/down arrow keys, personal best so far was 800... so I should be using the scroll wheel on my mouse?
    I would say no, use the mouse.

Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Good lord, I'm lucky if I get 600 points, never mind the numbers you're indicating.
    I didn't even know you could get numbers that high.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    Something odd I've noticed: last year, the maximum number of points you could get was 2600. This year, it's 2700. What's up with that? Inflation or something?
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    tarran61 wrote: »
    Very good points Mr. Cooper.
    I might add its all in the fingers for me. I dont move my wrist, I rest the bottom of my palm and never move it, I use my fingers to move the mouse up and down. I have very good results doing this, I would say i get 2700 on 75% of the Omega Mini games.

Yeah I guess that's what I do too. My wrist/hand doesn't actually move off of the table. Just the fingers move. In fact i rest my wrist on a thick towel to combat the carpel. The mouse doesn't require a pad which I think is helpful.

For heaven's sake don't try to use a mouse wheel! There's also just no way to break say 1500 with the keyboard, and that would require very lucky particle distributions. 800 is more likely.

The scoring has changed slightly for the cutoff points this year. I guess there's 1 extra particle also.

• toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    I have to note I never managed high scores with the touchpad/mouse. Since then I always use the keyboard and in lag-free instances get reliably over 2000 scores.

Probably best for everyone to try out both. You never know.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    Sticky please...thanks for the hints fox-1.gif

Thanks for the sticky egg-1.gif​​
    Ask & you shall receive! The team thought this was an excellent Omega-Guide! :*
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Nice guide, I've now managed to get 2200 as a high score....best ever! And regularly get over 1000 so thank you. :)

One thing that makes it easier is if you get a run with the particles appearing in nice staggered rows across several lanes, so you can just move the pointer up or down slowly and hoover them up.
    It's when you get a run with them appearing in one's & two's in the top and bottom lanes with nothing in between that it gets frustrating. I'd say if you have a lot of trouble concentrate on 3 lanes, those with the most appearing in them in decent groups and ignore outlying single particles on their own. But be prepared to change to different lanes if more appear elsewhere.
    SulMatuul.png
This discussion has been closed.