test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Drain carrier: Fleet Jupiter vs Sarr Theln

makocallowaymakocalloway Member Posts: 455 Arc User
So I'm having alot of fun with my little Voth Palisade drain boat. But now I'm considering making a drain carrier and im comparing the Fleet Jupiter and the Sarr Theln. If I choose the Sarr Theln, I'm not going to use the Breen space set or the Breen console set. Not enough flowcaps in either. So both ships would run Dominion polarons, have spire polaron tac consoles, and rommie embassy flowcaps. Main sci powers would be the same, energy siphon, tach beam, DRB, tykes rift.

So the only key difrences are the carriers themselves and the pets. The Fleet Jupiter is a little better with armor and shields, but the Sarr Theln can use the Elite Breen raiders.

So for a drain carrier, under the previous guidelines, would you pick Fleet Jupiter w/ elite swarmers or Sarr Theln with elite raiders?
5rFUCPd.png

Comments

• risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Neither as I don't have them.

I do have a Vesta though... :)

(This comment is irrelevant btw.)
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Remind us of the stats on the pets?

Disregarding the pets (at my own peril), it seems the tankier ship would need less armor consoles, opening space up for more uni consoles.

I'm assuming you have the Sarr Theln in your roster, otherwise the choice is made, but do you have the Jupiter? That'd make the choice easy for me, tankiness or not...
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • makocallowaymakocalloway Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    Elite Raider

Cooldown: 40s
    Range: 15km
    Fighter Gear
    [Polaron Cannon]
    [Polaron Dual Cannon]
    [Polaron Turret]
    [Transphasic Torpedoe]
    Tachyon Beam I
    Cannon: Rapid Fire II
    Torpedo: High Yield II
    Breen Energy Dissipator
    Raider Flanking

Elite Swarmers
    Cooldown: 38.1s
    Range: 15km
    Fighter Gear
    Focused Antiproton Array
    Advanced Antiproton Defense Array
    [Transphasic Torpedo Launcher]
    Beam Overload III

And yes I have both.
    5rFUCPd.png

• samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Well, the Sarr theln has more science console slots and so would be marginally better, but the Jupiter is an all around versatile ship so you would be free to switch builds at will and if your like me you will. ;)

I did not get the Sarr Theln unfortunately but i do have the Jupiter and it performs very well. The Callisto frigates are nearly industructible.

Do yourself a favor and dump the energy weapons, they are taking up too much build space. Devote everything to science and if you have anything left go all torpedo boat. It works very well in the long run, Quantum phase set does wonderful things on a drain boat. Toss in the Neutronic torpedo and another of your choice for extra lulz.
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Well, I don't have the Jupiter, but I have the Sarr Theln, and even if it isn't AS tanky, I've not had troubles surviving in it, so I'm going to disregard my own comments on engi consoles...

Yeah, the raiders sound a lot more drain-worthy to me from what you've listed there. I mean, Tachyon Beam AND Energy Dissipator? Those ships are like their own mini-drain-boats.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
    Actually the fleet Jupiter and the Breen carrier both have 4 sci consoles.
    5rFUCPd.png

And my Annorax is set up as a part/gav gens & torp build and she is a beast. This is for experiment with drain/beam boat
    5rFUCPd.png

• samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Energy weapons are just bad on science ships... use them for the proc if you must but that's all I would do.
  • scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    Im actually buildign a shut down build on the breen sci carrier atm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • veryth12veryth12 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    bergins wrote: »
    Yeah, the raiders sound a lot more drain-worthy to me from what you've listed there. I mean, Tachyon Beam AND Energy Dissipator? Those ships are like their own mini-drain-boats.

This is the reason why after trying several different science ships while I was building a drain boat I settled on the Breen carrier. It also feels like it does more dps on your targets once the shields are down because of the pets.

Mine is set up to use all beams and the kinetic cutting beam, the breen carrier turns a little slow for my tastes to try and use it as a torpedo boat as was suggested when doing a drain build. That being said, I've not taken the time to try a torpedo/ drain build out with a more nimble science ship.

If we are limited the choices to only the jupiter or the breen ship, I would vote the breen ship just for the added pet drain.

• sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    have you tried the polarized disruptor weapons?
  • sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    bergins wrote: »

I've a few fleet mates that have the Sarr Theln built as a drain ship, coupled with the Plesh Brek frigates and the thing is nasty as hell. Personally I'd go for that after seeing first hand how it performs.​​
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    The elite Breen frigates rarely go down, and they can semiregularly shut down enemy ships all on their own with the energy dissipator.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    I was going to say the Sarr Theln because the breen console 2-set effectively gives you a 5th flow capacitor, but you mentioned not wanting to use it. (I recommend the Sarr Theln and Plesh Brek console for shield boosting and resistance negation reasons, respectively.)

The Plesh Brek are moreso the hammer you use to crush things after you've taken them offline; they compliment the playstyle very well. I would suggest probably running a wing of Orion Interceptors or Delta Flyers for their drain abilities in addition to the Plesh Brek since you'd be going drain. (Delta Flyers have Tach 3; Interceptors have a special weapon/engine drain beam. Both have Omni-directional beams that work for defensive interdiction while your raiders focus on the attack.)

With the amount of ship-spam there is, I highly recommend Tyken's Rift 3 over energy siphon. My Sarr Theln can shut down voth dreadnoughts without even needing to use energy siphon.

I can't speak for the Jupiter, but I would probably rather run the Atrox over it for access to the shield-shredding capability of anti-proton sweep on the elite/advanced Stalkers.
    These are great suggestions, thanks guys.
    5rFUCPd.png

• groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    I have both the fleet Jupiter and the Sarr Theln, aside from the pets they both use the same build.
    The only major difference I've noticed is the slightly less tac based seating on the Jupiter, the only change I had to make was switching from torp spread 3 to torp spread 2.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,914 Arc User
    the Recluse begs to be set up as a drain build, and the weavers are perhaps the best pets in the game
    sig.jpg