test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Story Concept: Dark Parallels

With the new highlight on the Mirror Universe in STO, an idea came to me while re-watching an episode of TNG.

In TNG 7x11 "Parallels," Warf unwittingly passed through a quantum fissure in a shuttle craft. The subspace field from the shuttle caused the fissure to destabilize. Warf was sent into a state of quantum flux and was pushed from reality to reality when near a subspace energy signature. The Enterprise scanned the fissure with a subspace differential pulse. The pulse experienced an energy serge and caused the fissure to rupture, allowing other Enterprises from different realities to emerge into each other. A broad spectrum inverse warp field, emitted from the same shuttle that destabilized the fissure, sealed the fissure and returned all realities to their natural state from the moment Warf first passed through it.

Based on the portrayed events, this is what I came up with:

The player’s ship is sent to the same sector of space where the Enterprise D encountered the quantum fissure. While in system, the ship detects an anomaly and identifies it as a quantum fissure. They begin to scan it. The rift suddenly becomes destabilized from the other side and quantum duplicates of the player’s ship begin appearing around the map. Having the Enterprise’s logs on file, the player’s science officer recommends using an inverse warp field to seal it. The attempt is made, but it only succeeds in halting the quantum incursions. The player can’t seal the fissure because they were not the ones who ruptured it. While scanning around for the ship that did, weapon fire is detected. The player investigates and finds an alliance of mirror universe duplicates of their ship causing trouble. The player hails the lead ship, which proves to be the prime (moral) mirror counterpart to the player. It turns out that the player’s mirror counterpart opened the fissure deliberately in an attempt to find a universe to subvert and establish their own Terran Empire. A battle ensues and the lead mirror ship is disabled. The player can’t destroy it because they need it to seal the fissure. An away team is sent to commandeer the ship. Resistance is met and the player ultimately faces off with their mirror self. The ship is secured and then used to seal the fissure, returning all to its natural state.

This is just a basic concept in need of refinement. And seeing as how I'm not familiar with the Foundry, I would like to open this concept up to other creators. If you think that this could work as a foundry mission and want to make it a reality, feel free. Just be sure to let me know. I'd be happy to help hammer out story ideas with you.

Comments

• Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Good idea.

At the moment however there is no way of knowing what the Player would be flying. You'll also run into problems with not knowing the name, gender or species of the player characters.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Good idea.

At the moment however there is no way of knowing what the Player would be flying. You'll also run into problems with not knowing the name, gender or species of the player characters.

One approach might be to use a nondescript armor suit (ex. black Solanae EV) as the player character with dialog options to fine tune it between male and female. It probably wouldn't work as a frequently recurring thing, and you definitely wouldn't want to have this character show up on any ground maps (height would almost definitely be wrong) but you could have one or two comm exchanges with your alternate self.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    zionus0zionus0 Member Posts: 395 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    As you can't copy the player character's appearance (you'd think that would be doable based on items such as the shard of possibilites but no it's not).

I wanted to have a players counterpart show up in one of my missions so I had their body be "killed" in a space battle and then had their mind transfer to a clone of their first officer. I was actually able to have a hand-to-hand fight between them in my new mission.
    Why do I still play and put money into STO?
    The Foundry, and my love of Star Trek
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Hmm... you could cheat and have the other you wear a helmet, but... it's a lot like not actually seeing them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg