test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

class help

jediknight224jediknight224 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
so i haven't played for a long time (4 years) and just need info on classes and if race affects the decsion much thanks for your help

Comments

• jbmaverickjbmaverick Member Posts: 935 Arc User
    Race affects passives slightly. Every race other than Alien has a special racial passive comprised of several bonuses. Some additional optional passives can only be selected by specific races as well, such as Telepathy and Telekinetic passives only being available to races canonically capable of such things. Aliens don't get a special racial passive but get an extra open slot to choose from standard passives to compensate. Largely, I'd say race is going to be more cosmetic than anything else, nothing especially game-altering except possibly if you're playing as a Romulan. Alien gives you the greatest freedom in customization, both in terms of passives and visuals.

As for the classes, in space it alters your available support powers but all general powers can be used via your bridge officers with appropriate training. Your ship choice will have a greater impact on your playstyle than your career choice, although your career can allow for some variations. On the ground it changes the core kit abilities you can equip, so it's a much larger variable there. Tactical captains tend to be more focused on offense, with powers that increase damage output and mobility. Science captains tend to focus on buffing and healing allies and debuffing enemies. Engineers tend to focus on defensive powers, with some debuffs and "summon" type powers on the ground.

The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
  • jediknight224jediknight224 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    thanks
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    so i haven't played for a long time (4 years) and just need info on classes and if race affects the decsion much thanks for your help

race has minor effects, and alien is arguably one of the best.
    class is pretty easy... tacs get damage increasing skills space and ground alike. Engineers get survival skills in space and tons of toys on the ground (turrets, shields, combat drones, bombs, and more with a solid mix of damage and support). Science gets photonic fleet and a potent scan debuff in space, and mostly support (heals, buffs, debuffs) on the ground.

with kits and odd modules for them from various sources, you can make anyone pretty cool on the ground in spite of their default available things. Space, you are stuck with your class skills. Damage is out of control anyway, so going tac officer is just piling on more of the one thing you need the least in this game, IMHO. Its fun to see big numbers, and do that if you like, but the other two classes are far more interesting to me these days...

• ultimatenewbieultimatenewbie Member Posts: 269 Arc User

Hi, welcome back to STO. My guide for new players has a short discussion on races and professions/classes - in short, there are no bad (ie unplayable) races, and professions depends on what you want to play but the game is building up a tactical bias (particularly in space combat).

Link here: http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1175643/early-decisions-ultimate-newbies-new-players-guide/p1

Most importantly: good luck and have fun! :)