test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A boost in Zen for lifetime Subscribers?

the title pretty much says it. with the current price of EC for getting these powerful items from the exchange and the rise of Dilithium on the dilithium exchange. everything has gone up in price and the 500 zen every month is not enough to cover all of that. I suggest it be boosted to 1k zen every month. that way player don't have to wait nearly 10 years to get that much zen to spend on the best lock box ships in the game and it will be long enough for a lot of impatient people to keep buying zen. a steady flow of money so that a ship wouldn't cost over 200 bucks to get. I mean lets be realistic people!!! a single ship costing 200 bucks!!! I can buy 5 games that has more content than the ship. and not every one is clever enough to use the exchange to their personal gain. my self included! because there is soo much stuff I cant figure out what would sell for a decent flow of EC. and 100k for beam weapon techs isn't a whole lot of EC. and even if I used the upgrade system to upgrade an item you still spend soo much EC and materials to make it an epic Quality. meaning more EC based on the RNG system and lets be honest! a lot of people have a grudge against the RNG gods. this game shouldn't be based on luck for personal gain. and I'm sure some of you can agree with some of what I said here.
Been a user of Perfect World Entertainment since 2009.

Comments

• jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    Support
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,450 Arc User
    All these threads, calling for a fix for inflation for currencies: EC, dil...

What we really need is for generation of those currencies to be hit with a giant NERF bat, or for new desirable ways to spend them in large quantities.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    I'd love it...just so can get more Zen...but it wont happen...there is no benefit cryptic would get from raising the zen stipend.
  • mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    lianthelia wrote: »
    I'd love it...just so can get more Zen...but it wont happen...there is no benefit cryptic would get from raising the zen stipend.

Which is why I said I can see this for NEW lifers...then there is something for cryptic in the form of more new lifers.

yeah, and then the game will die as the MANY old lifers leave after being screwed over.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    as a lifetime subscriber I disagree with this idea, the stipend we get every month is not there so we can buy whatever we want every few months especially not lockbox ships.
    the lifetime subscription fee is not intended to unlock everything in the game, there are times when there is something we want to buy that we are supposed to spend more money to gain that thing if we want it and don't want to wait till we have enough stipend zen to cover the cost.
    having said that with the EC price of lockbox keys as they are it would not take long to raise the amount of EC you would need to buy a lockbox ship if that is what you desire especially if you convert some dilithium to zen to buy lockbox keys.

I bought the delta mega bundle with zen stipend and dililthium converted to zen and it only took a couple of months to amass the zen I needed to buy the bundle.

the exchange rate of EC, dilithium and zen fluctuates all of the time you cant expect to be given more zen just because the in game currency's aren't worth a great deal at any moment.

I am happy with what I got from LTS and this has been added to since I made my purchase, sure its always nice when cryptic adds to the bundle but I do not expect or demand anything more then I have.

there are many players who have spent much more then I did on my LTS yet they have never bought a sub of any kind and they get no stipend.
    Shurg. I can see this for maybe NEW lifetime subscribers (or even maybe those who did it this past sales)...but those of us who have had it for a while now have kinda already gotten our money's worth. It would be a good way to get a few more lifers...especially since this game is getting kind of long in the tooth and I think a lot of the newer player don't think they can get their money's worth with a life time sub at this point.

I don't even agree with extra zen for new LTS buyers, the current cost more then pays for itself very quickly especially if bought during a sale, this is even more true since they added 3 T6 ships to the bundle.
    Post edited by bobbydazlers on

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    Sorry, EC inflation is not zen inflation so your reason is invalid.

Something costs 30% more in EC, but zen > lock box key > EC gives you that same +30%.

And for upgrading gear, zen > dil now gives you more dil for upgrades. By your logic zen should be reduced then?
  • mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User

Which is why I said I can see this for NEW lifers...then there is something for cryptic in the form of more new lifers.

yeah, and then the game will die as the MANY old lifers leave after being screwed over.

How are we being screwed? We could be screwed if this game lasts another 4+ years...but really, do you expect that? Okay, so I suppose if you got your lifer a year ago, maybe more of an issue. Bah...never mind then.

You are explicitly saying "we care more about the NEW lifers then we did the old ones", of which, at this point, probably constitutes a good chunk of the player base that actually bothers sticking around, that is an INCREDIBLY stupid idea, no matter what kind of excuse you try and pull off. Especially because, most MMOs do not even HAVE a lifetime sub.
  • kontarnuskontarnus Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    This is a complete non-issue, sounds like the OP just wants to buy more keys to sell for ec, to get the ship they want, faster. No other reason.
    A 500 zen stipend is already very generous: 6000 zen/year... that's two T6 ships or 12 Fleet ship modules or 48 keys... essentially for free, for paying out a lump sum up-front to the developers. Sounds pretty good to me, if I had not already spent money and converted dilithium on account upgrades, I'd get an LTS.
    "Intelligence is finite, stupidity is infinite" -- Umberto Eco
    edited December 2015

How are we being screwed? We could be screwed if this game lasts another 4+ years...but really, do you expect that? Okay, so I suppose if you got your lifer a year ago, maybe more of an issue. Bah...never mind then.

this is a video game, many people play it looking for opportunities to say they were SLAP in the FACE.

Did you see the shameful behavior people displayed because lapsed players were offered spec points and a free galaxy to come give the game another shot?

The "but MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEME MINE MINE MINE MINE " is strong all across the internet.

STO is a mature game now, its been out 5 years. As a LTS for many years now, I personally wouldnt mind new folks getting some new inducements, even if I didnt.

The game is better for everyone if more people play and pay, so even if i didnt get more zen, I'd get to enjoy a game with even more active players, as well as the benefits that purchase would add to the development.

people buying LTS should not need any more inducements, there was plenty of inducement when I bought my LTS on sale and now they have added 3 T6 ships and a few other goodies to the package its even better value for money even at the full price and that's before you even factor in the 500zen stipend we get every month.

to be honest buying a LTS even at the full price is the best value for money buy you could ever make in the game and if you buy it on sale its a steal.
    its the only purchase that keeps on giving.

only an exceptionally greedy person would want more.

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2015

this is a video game, many people play it looking for opportunities to say they were SLAP in the FACE.
    True. But it's not just a video game thing! I also remember seeing stuff like that on pen & paper roleplaying games. Delta Rising was just the D&D 4 of MMOs. :)
    Did you see the shameful behavior people displayed because lapsed players were offered spec points and a free galaxy to come give the game another shot?

The "but MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEME MINE MINE MINE MINE " is strong all across the internet.
    For the sake of my sanity and my respect of the human race, I tried to ban those memories!
    STO is a mature game now, its been out 5 years. As a LTS for many years now, I personally wouldnt mind new folks getting some new inducements, even if I didnt.
    I wouldn't mind, but I also wouldn't mind getting them. But I think the question is - would it really be that much of an extra incentive? I think the biggest boost to the lifetime subscripton was unlocking all Veteran Rewards. That's 3 endgame ships right there included, and then there are all the other perks. Sure, you could add all kinds of extra stuff, but how much would it need to be and still remain profitable for Cryptic?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Sure, why not?

The dilithium costs have increased a lot, as have the zen ships. It'd be reasonable to look at the monthly zen bonus again, after so much time has passed and so many changes have been made since the Veteran rewards were created. Doesn't have to be a huge increase, even something small to reflect the increased prices of Z-ships and such would be appreciated.
  • yukonsamyukonsam Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    I'm in favor. But you've got to convince the bean counters, and you've got to do it in terms they understand. Break out the PowerPoint!
  • lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    How about no. I've been a ltser since beta, the stipend will get you 2 t6 c store ships per year. People should really learn some basic economics before they scream give me more
    sh** for nothing.
    HzLLhLB.gif

this thread reminds me

of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZrgxHvNNUc

• chainfallchainfall Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    I actually think 500 is too high, I'd rather have a permanent discount.
    STO would have been better as a Stargate MMO than it is as Star Trek. Go figure.

~Karona@Sobekeus
    Jem'Hadar Dreadnought Carrier Exterminatus
    edited December 2015
    lowy wrote:
    ...give me more sh** for nothing.

Wow, you got an LTS for nothing? That's awesome. Most of us had to pony up a nice chunk of change.

• pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User

UHHHHHHHHH.

Red Alert Captain, we'd be approaching a mutiny.
  • primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter

UHHHHHHHHH.

Free Oberth for Subs Confirmed! j/k
  • sarosssaross Member Posts: 248 Media Corps

UHHHHHHHHH.

Indeed. Us "OLD Lifers" would all mutiny if that occurred.

Though I do think LTS needs some perk to make it more appealing. But I also believe being a subscriber needs to have even MORE perks for re-occurring monthly payers. That residual income is more powerful than a one time and done payment on the LTS.​​
    Need help with a mission to beat it? Visit http://pilotreviewshow.com to learn how we can help!

Top DPS 102k
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    I was thinking more like a discount on Zen or a bonus of like 10-15%.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    I would like something simpler:
    1. Perhaps a listing of when we get paid our stipend in game, maybe even a text message confirming 'this has been deposited to your account'.
    2. 10% discount on everything in-game. (Doesn't apply to sale prices)
    3. The ability to gift ZEN, Ships, and Dilithium via a mail-type mechanism
    4. The ability to 'lend a ship & gear' for 24 -48 hours.
    5. Affiliate rewards if we bring more 'lifers' to the game.

Just a few thoughts for a Monday Morning ;)
    Here's how I see it:

It's really easy for Cryptic to quantify the downside risk of increasing the monthly zen allowance. Count the number of lifetime accounts that spend additional money on the game, subtract $5 or so per account, that's the potential hit to the revenue stream.

It's really hard to project the upside benefit. We can assume it would goose LTS sales by some amount, but how much? It would be a shot in the arm for player morale, but how does that translate into increased recruitment, retention and ultimately money? The benefit math is much fuzzier than the risk math, and that makes a bean counter break into a cold sweat.

I think it's a great idea and they ought to do it tomorrow. Heck, make it retroactive back to launch. But it's not players or even developers you have to sell. It's people who are going to want to see some revenue projections before approving any big change to the status quo.
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    Support OP as well.​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    More basic toys and such I would approve of, more Zen stipend I do not!!!

500 per month + dilithium grinding to be sold on exchange, and any RL $ spent should suffice ANY LTS easily!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• themartianthemartian Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    I wouldn't say no to extra zen each month. Or more free stuff. Or a discount in the store. Or all of the above. I am greedy though.
    My alt army:
    K'ymara, Orion Engineer. Caedera of Borg, Liberated Borg Tactical, Elyza Vix, Joined Trill Scientist. Christina Bellona, Augmented Human Tactical.
    T'Lana, Vulcan Scientist. Arbol, Martian Tactical. Ayzer Bryn, Joined Trill Engineer. Hawke, Betazoid Scientist. Karna Valkras, Klingon Engineer. Beth Parker, Human Tactical
    Sarel, Romulan Engineer (Federation). Yazuri, Reman Scientist (KDF)