test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

This games lacks comprehensible documentation

124»

Comments

• ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    Ok, so say you had this documentation... you have 1 weapon, so you'd need to show a chart of how much damage that does at 1 each distance, plus at all the different power level variations, then with each possible buff, plus combinations of buffs, and then add onto that the resistances of the target, plus all the various debuffs that both you and your team are doing, plus pets, cross referenced with each other.

Then repeat for every possible weapon, combination of weapons, situations, abilities, buffs, etc etc etc

I'm not trying to deliberately be a TRIBBLE, but what you want is just ridiculously impractical to not only implement, but also to maintain. Especially when there would be absolutely no financial return on Cryptic's colossal investment of time into it.

It is not about explaining how every weapon works with every buff under every condition. You just need to show how a single item (weapon, buff, whatever) is applied, then it's up to the player to sum it up. There are only 2 falloff types (beam and cannon). There are only 4 power levels to explain. There are a few types of damage modifiers to make clear how they work (what players label as "cat 1/2/infinite/whatever") and which item bonus belongs to which type. There is only one resistance formula.
    It is not a huge undertaking, and would make the game a lot more (new) player friendly.
    ryuga81.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I think the thing I find amusing is the idea (a little retro here), that one might buy an sto disk, in a little box like the games of old. And where you would usually have a little book detailing the various aapects of the game and how to excel, here you would instead hear an ominous beeping noise as a forklift approaches carrying your game manual.
    Ridiculous I know but it was the first thought that came inti my head when someone said "sto manual". :D

Which is kind of sad, really. I did buy STO boxed with a disk. It didn't came with a manual as they stopped doing that in the early '00 already but already nobody remembers any more or thinks it's reasonable games are documented at all and instead we rely on third parties to figure the game out for us and put it on the internet.

Then again, I had a minor depression episode (not really pig-3.gif) thinking about people these days, even those that are adult now don't know things like an Atari 5200 or NES any more. Those are only tales, they don't know that. They don't know games with documentations and only time-gated, paywalled WIP games bound on online accounts and they think it is truly the best thing the industry came up with, ever.​​
    Yeah.. those games are also the reason sites like gamefaqs.com exist.... the in-game documentation was not complete, and often left out things people had reason to want to know... like how much damage to the spells actually do? how many enemies are immune to them? Etc...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    I don't know Jack TRIBBLE.......and Jack left town. Everyone knows this about me though. I've been stereotyped from day one. The Red knecked Hillbilly from Ky thats racist and gots a 3rd grade edgiecation. Honestly though. I've tried to make sense out of STO's UI from day one, been playing almost 4 years now and I know even less now that I did then. True story.

P.S. I guess it would be helpfull if I could read also. I get my 6 year old kid to write all my posts.