test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Where are the KDF and ROM Carriers?

How come the klinks and roms never got a carrier, yet the feds get that ugly monstrosity called the jupitor?

Personally I don't think its fair to freeze out the other two factions from a faction specific carrier. I play fed, not kdf or rom, even I think the feds get too many ships. Not enough love for the kdf or roms. And don't bring up lobi/lockbox ships. I'm talking about a kdf/rom look and feel kind of a ship.

But daamn. That jupitor is one horrid design.
Quote about STO on consoles: "Not quite as bad as No man's sky, but a close second."

Comments

• Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Yes. I get it. Romulan and KDF ships.

I'm working on trying to make that a reality. You can stop posting about that.

There. Just have some patience. Things like that don't happen overnight.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I'm sure it won't be too much longer before Romulans and Klingons get the same opportunity to flush 3k Zen down the toilet that us Feds got. :)
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Lol, it isn't a bad ship most people just have trouble using carriers because the mechanics are rather primitive.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    Trendy said she is working on it, if I recall we didn't get the Jupiter just a week after they announced the intent to design a new Carrier did we?
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Again 74% fed and the remining 26% of players is split between the other factions. They can only use so much development time on the other factions, but make no mistake they take every chance they can to improve them.
  • Options
    happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    You know, I'm not at all surprised there was no romulan carrier. No KDF carrier though?

All they needed to do was a T6 release for the Vo'Quv. Add a few points here and there, increase one BOff slot, tack a specialty onto one seat... don't even have to test it since it doesn't seem like Cryptic gives much of a damn where balance is concerned anyway, and releasing buggy stuff is par for the course. So what does that leave? A console and trait? Copy/paste from the Jupiter as per the usual. The only major work involved is they'd need a new model. Which, yeah, could be a lot of work... or they could just do a few minor tweaks and stick a couple of pointless nonsensical blades on it like they did with the T6 B'rel and Mogai and call it a day.

And to top it off, last time they had a contest they released a non-contest KDF ship as well... so there was reason to expect a red counterpart to the Jupiter.
  • Options
    theillusivenmantheillusivenman Member Posts: 438 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    She said she'll try to make it happen for KDF/Rom, I doubt though it'll come while it's Winter Wonderland, so chill (pun intended) with Q and grow on that patience, it's probably coming before Anny event.
    5980291nyfcc.png
    "Reality is a thing of the past."
    Proud supporter of equality for all human beings.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    samt1996 wrote: »
    Lol, it isn't a bad ship most people just have trouble using carriers because the mechanics are rather primitive.

Carrier Mechanics aren't that complex, the problem is pet AI. Carriers sacrifice things like Weapon Slots as a 'trade off' for their hangar bays. Because of this, they end up trading useful features for mechanics that just flat out don't work.

The best example of this is seen with the Jupiter Carrier. It's biggest selling point was the Callisto frigates which are absolutely horrible. You're essentially sacrificing 2 Weapon Hard Points for 2 hangar bays full of frigates that fly around and do nothing most of the time.

The ship isn't bad with Fighter Pets, I loaded 2 bays of Elite Swarmers and the improvement was immediately noticeable. Still, carriers overall are in a bad place in STO. I knew this going in, I purchased the carrier with extra dilitihum during the 20% sale, but if I had paid real money for it, I would be quite disappointed.

The fact that Klingons and Romulans make up less then 30% of the player base combined with the fact that many players won't waste money on a Carrier probably makes the development of such ships to be considered unprofitable for the Developers. I know that Trendy is talking with the team about making carriers for the other 2 factions, but frankly I'll be surprised to see it happen.

Now, if they actually put some work into pet AI, that might change things.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

Carrier Mechanics aren't that complex, the problem is pet AI. Carriers sacrifice things like Weapon Slots as a 'trade off' for their hangar bays. Because of this, they end up trading useful features for mechanics that just flat out don't work.

The best example of this is seen with the Jupiter Carrier. It's biggest selling point was the Callisto frigates which are absolutely horrible. You're essentially sacrificing 2 Weapon Hard Points for 2 hangar bays full of frigates that fly around and do nothing most of the time.
    You might also be just sacrificing 4 points of turn rate, Subsystem Analysis and Secondary Deflectors for that.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    xayssxayss Member Posts: 391 Arc User
    mmm kdf have carrier that thing drops birds of prey
    nexus.jpg

• Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User

xayss wrote: »
    mmm kdf have carrier that thing drops birds of prey

not at t6 we don't. if feds can get one of an kdf ship type at t6, it is reasonable for kdf to get one as will, and romulans shouldn't get left out. the fact being some of us would rather prefer it if they took the lazy route and made a t6 voquv. it's not like were asking for a contest we know cryptic's policy on kdf/rom players very well.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    lamyrslamyrs Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    Well, I am fine with my T5U Kar'Fi but if they release a T6 tactical carrier for KDF why not. On other hand, there is no chance I'll buy a sci carrier like the Jupiter on KDF side.
    I am from Belgium and english isn't my main language, sorry if I make mistakes.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    lamyrs wrote: »
    Well, I am fine with my T5U Kar'Fi but if they release a T6 tactical carrier for KDF why not. On other hand, there is no chance I'll buy a sci carrier like the Jupiter on KDF side.

I have little hope that we'll see any more playable Fe'kiri ships. They likely never will go in a lockbox, because they already are available as C-Store ships for the KDF only, but since they are KDF only, Cryptic won't go out of their way to create new C-Store ones either.

The logical and more likely candidate for Klingon Carrier to Tier-Sixify is the Vo'Quv, and that's a Science Carrier.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Yeah it is kinda like with science ships they view it as not worth the time, resources, and effort to make a ship that will not get used much, if you look than at a faction/s that make up alittle more than one forth the population an you get that they see it as not being worth the investment compared to the return. Though if they could draw more players to play the other two factions boosting their population percentage we might see more ships done for them, alongside more content that is more geared towards them specifically.

I will agree one of the big issues with the carrier is that pet's have a quite poor AI, which makes them not worth the trade off we take to get a hanger or two to launch them from on the ships along side other trade offs. If they would have updated the pet AI, or even just (more to my liking) reworked the pet Ui to allow the player to have a more manual control to utilize them (like what weapons/abilities they use, what attack patterns like a figure eight or circling pattern, and such) would have been nice, but both of them would have made the carrier more desirable to be gotten by more players.
  • Options
    lamyrslamyrs Member Posts: 312 Arc User

I have little hope that we'll see any more playable Fe'kiri ships. They likely never will go in a lockbox, because they already are available as C-Store ships for the KDF only, but since they are KDF only, Cryptic won't go out of their way to create new C-Store ones either.

The logical and more likely candidate for Klingon Carrier to Tier-Sixify is the Vo'Quv, and that's a Science Carrier.

Well they didn't make a T6 Atrox for the Fed so let's hope on the same thing for KDF. Maybe an engi Orion carrier?
    I am from Belgium and english isn't my main language, sorry if I make mistakes.
  • Options

Well they didn't make a T6 Atrox for the Fed so let's hope on the same thing for KDF. Maybe an engi Orion carrier?

not likely. chances are it'll be a t6 voquv or kar'fi. if they do make a new one it'll a nerfed jupiter copy.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    shinnok918shinnok918 Member Posts: 312 Arc User

The ship isn't bad with Fighter Pets, I loaded 2 bays of Elite Swarmers and the improvement was immediately noticeable. Still, carriers overall are in a bad place in STO. I knew this going in, I purchased the carrier with extra dilitihum during the 20% sale, but if I had paid real money for it, I would be quite disappointed.

The fact that Klingons and Romulans make up less then 30% of the player base combined with the fact that many players won't waste money on a Carrier probably makes the development of such ships to be considered unprofitable for the Developers. I know that Trendy is talking with the team about making carriers for the other 2 factions, but frankly I'll be surprised to see it happen.

carriers are in a bad place because they have a science setup. 3-3 weapons and higher end seat is a science slot. beautiful carrier is a jem'hadar dreadnought. 4-4 with commander tactical....

• Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    shinnok918 wrote: »

carriers are in a bad place because they have a science setup. 3-3 weapons and higher end seat is a science slot. beautiful carrier is a jem'hadar dreadnought. 4-4 with commander tactical....

Just because you can't handle anything without a load of Tactical slots doesn't mean they're bad...just means you can't do anything but circle a target spamming FaW...plus the Dread is only 4/3.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    I have cash monies waiting to throw at PWE for decent Romulan & KDF T6 carriers and science ships.

Apparently the metrics say there aren't enough people like me to make them a priority :(
  • Options
    shinnok918shinnok918 Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    shinnok918 wrote: »

Just because you can't handle anything without a load of Tactical slots doesn't mean they're bad...just means you can't do anything but circle a target spamming FaW...plus the Dread is only 4/3.

my bad still yet. I'm a tac officer. tac officer objective is damage output. plus I like mobility and attack pattern omega 3 Is real good for that. still yet. even an engineer setup would be better than sci. eng setup would be 4-4 weapons (standard cruiser setup) commander engineer slot. still loads more useful than science.
  • Options
    Grav well + torp spread and/or cannon scatter volley and/or torps with AOE effects. SCIENCE!
  • Options
    Besides, with Reciprocity, AHOD, cooldown (boffs + consoles + devices) do you still need 2 copies of all tactical powers?
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I need the Typhoon. I don't even care if all three factions get it :smiley:.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    szim wrote: »
    Yes. I get it. Romulan and KDF ships.
    I'm working on trying to make that a reality. You can stop posting about that.
    There. Just have some patience. Things like that don't happen overnight.

I say take your time guys, my zen will be ready, just make it as good as the Jupiter, :-0 After the Winter Event would be great.
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »

Get the fed command battlecruiser 3-pack. The Geneva is mostly all you need.
    And before you say "it doesn't look exactly 1,000,000% like the Typhoon", the new Jupiter doesn't look exactly like the old Jupiter either.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    megraemegrae Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    Unless they actually fix pet AI, like it was before when people complained the pets were "too ppwerful", then you don't want them to make you a carrier for KDF or Roms.

Twilight, Particle Physicist that stole the ship.
    Original Signup date: August 4, 2008
    LTS since Pre-Order
  • Options
    megrae wrote: »
    Unless they actually fix pet AI, like it was before when people complained the pets were "too ppwerful", then you don't want them to make you a carrier for KDF or Roms.

I respectfully disagree, it may be a terrible ship type but like bop it's one of our ship types.

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    artan42 wrote: »

Get the fed command battlecruiser 3-pack. The Geneva is mostly all you need.
    And before you say "it doesn't look exactly 1,000,000% like the Typhoon", the new Jupiter doesn't look exactly like the old Jupiter either.

That's different. I like the the new Jupiter. I despise the stylings of the Command Cruisers.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
This discussion has been closed.