test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Suggestion] Weapon Skinning for Fun and Profit

It's surely happened to all of us: there's an energy type we like for our pistols/longarms/assault weapons... but the associated model is a visual turn-off (non-Vaadwaur polaron weapons, I'm looking at you!), or you just want a uniform appearance for your away team's weapons. "Surely," you've asked, "there must be some system that can be implemented to fix this?"

I believe that yes, there is a way (and the respective developers of Path of Exile and Saints Row 4 get kudos for inspiring it): weapon skinning. This mechanic would, I imagine, work like this: every time you acquire a particular type of ground weapon, that model gets saved for possible reuse (much like how some character visuals are unlocked from acquiring particular ground gear sets)... and is applied in one of two ways:

• 'Remodel' becomes an option similar to 'Upgrade'. Slot item, pick from appropriate models, apply;
  • the crafting menu acquired an additional pulldown with similar options.

Now, some might point out that as welcome as such a thing might be, there'll be zero interest from the suits unless they see some means of getting money from it. Well, there is... certain model packages (i.e. GPL-plated) would be available from the store.

In fact, as long as we're on the subject... the non-set antiproton weapons available from NSF and TFO share the white/red color scheme of their basic siblings; I would suggest the following changes to give them an identity of their own:

Comments

• captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    I made similar posts like this, one about ground weapons titled as being from different species from the shows: http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/comment/12793486, second last post.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Yes to this please.

And can I add in i'd also like to see the same for space weapons where we can choose the colour, at least within the energy type. I can't stand having maybe the chronometric omni beam in blue but that normal polarons are all purple. It just looks odd.
    I can't see a decent reason why they couldn't do this. We have visual slots for ship gear like shields now.
    Maybe ages ago it was to allow PVP'ers to identify a weapon type, but there's so many colours these days i doubt may people can ID a weapon from its visual alone in the heat of battle anyway.
    SulMatuul.png