test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Interestellar Timekeeping

alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
edited November 2015 in Ten Forward
So here's something I've been pondering recently in the course of writing fiction. Suppose that we eventually reach out into space, establish colonies, meet other races and form a unified federation of planets. In this diverse nation, how do we keep time? The basic units we use now (days and years) are based on natural cycles particular to Earth. A day or a year on Mars is different from a day or year on Earth, which is different still from a world rotating around a star.

You could use local time for the basic "daily" cycles, but how do you synchronize planets with different year lengths? How do you know when to expect the next interstellar passenger shuttle, or when to celebrate the centennial anniversary of the formation of the federation?

And what about colonies where normal cycles don't apply, such as a planet with an atmosphere that blocks most light, or a colony on a satellite rotating a gas giant, or even a rogue planet flying off through space without a star? What happens if we eventually reach a state where we're not only an interstellar society, but an intergalactic one?

We could use the galactic cycles, but those are so incredibly long it seems like they would be unwieldy. In the time it takes for one galactic year to pass, Earth's continents could move from their current configuration to become a supercontinent. Would other celestial objects like pulsars make better reference points?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• rambowdoubledashrambowdoubledash Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Well, the only proper IS form of measuring time is the second; the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom.

Everything after that is just colloquialisms...which serve us much better than Metric time would, thank you very much (I'm American and therefore have an innate dislike of the Metric system). For interstellar purposes starships from a given stellar nation will probably just use the standard day of their homeworld.

Presumably if some kind of international standard was absolutely needed, we'd just use SI prefixes on the second:

Terasecond: 1,000,000,000,000 seconds (30,619.24 years)
    Gigasecond: 1,000,000,000 seconds (30.62 years)
    Megasecond: 1,000,000 seconds (11.57 days)
    Kilosecond: 1,000 seconds (16.67 minutes)
    Hectosecond: 100 seconds (1.67 minutes)
    Decasecond: 10 seconds

Presumably the "hectosecond" would serve as one metric minute, and might be colloquially referred to as the "hex".

There's no convenient SI equivalent for an hour or day. We'd just have to get used to the idea of getting about 28.8 kiloseconds of sleep each night.

• alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    First you said IS, then change to SI. Typo, I think not.

This is why Australia used the Metric System and beat America to the moon by 3 minutes. Just look in the back ground of the Apllo photo's, that's us waiving at Neil.
    Lies. If there were Australians on the moon, you'd be able to tell. There's be venomous snakes hanging off of them. Besides, you didn't make the switch to metric until the year after the moon landing.

Actually, I'm fairly certain that the Apollo mission did use metric. That's standard for scientific applications.
    Well, the only proper IS form of measuring time is the second; the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom.

Everything after that is just colloquialisms...which serve us much better than Metric time would, thank you very much (I'm American and therefore have an innate dislike of the Metric system). For interstellar purposes starships from a given stellar nation will probably just use the standard day of their homeworld.

Presumably if some kind of international standard was absolutely needed, we'd just use SI prefixes on the second:

Terasecond: 1,000,000,000,000 seconds (30,619.24 years)
    Gigasecond: 1,000,000,000 seconds (30.62 years)
    Megasecond: 1,000,000 seconds (11.57 days)
    Kilosecond: 1,000 seconds (16.67 minutes)
    Hectosecond: 100 seconds (1.67 minutes)
    Decasecond: 10 seconds

Presumably the "hectosecond" would serve as one metric minute, and might be colloquially referred to as the "hex".

There's no convenient SI equivalent for an hour or day. We'd just have to get used to the idea of getting about 28.8 kiloseconds of sleep each night.
    But why a second? Seconds are just as arbitrary as minutes or hours. They don't correspond with any specific physical phenomena (as far as I know). Wouldn't it make more sense to base your unit of time on something with a fixed cycle? Unless it's more important to use a familiar system.

Edit: It occurs to me that changing the method by which time is measured also changes the measurement of distance because our standard unit is the light year: the distance light travels in one Earth year.
    Post edited by alexmakepeace on
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    I think our sense of time matters most because, for us, it's trackable and communicable. Our tech counts on it (get it? counts??) and we need to measure sleep cycles against something. We already have an Earth time structure, so I'd keep that; just remove timezones. All the other planets would just have to align with us.

But since you guys mentioned it, and because I'm pro-metric, eh, maybe change it this way:

1000 milliseconds = 1 second (already exists)
    100 seconds = 1 minute
    100 minutes = 1 hour
    10 hours = 1 day

Not sure if my math's correct, but that day would be 100,000 seconds as opposed to the current 86,400 seconds. Just an extra 3 hours 46 mins a day. :p
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    How do we keep time? :o

With a Clock :D
    But why a second? Seconds are just as arbitrary as minutes or hours. They don't correspond with any specific physical phenomena (as far as I know). Wouldn't it make more sense to base your unit of time on something with a fixed cycle? Unless it's more important to use a familiar system.

Yes, they do correspond to a specific physical phenomena - I defined it in my post. One second is equal to duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom.

Why it is equal to 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom is something that's not known to me off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's some bright person around here who can tell you why.

The point being that anything you choose will always be arbitrary in some form. The gram is defined as the mass of one cubic centimeter of pure water at the melting point of ice. Why water? Why not mercury, or bromine? For that matter, the meter was originally one one-millionth of the distance between the equator and the north pole. It's currently defined as the length of the path traveled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299,792,458ths of a second.

Measurement is always arbitrary. We have defined the second now, though, and so might as well keep using it, since the ground state of the caesium 133 atom presumably tends to undergo 9,192,631,770 periods in the same amount of time no matter where you are. Unless you're close to a very, very high gravity well, anyway, but in that case you're probably dead.
    Edit: It occurs to me that changing the method by which time is measured also changes the measurement of distance because our standard unit is the light year: the distance light travels in one Earth year.

Actually the light year is informal. Professional astronomers use the parsec, the distance at which one astronomical unit subtends an angle of one arcsecond.

An astronomical unit is the average distance of Earth from the Sun; an arcsecond would take too long to explain, so I'll let Wikipedia handle it.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Yeah, all standards of measurement are arbitrary. British imperial units were actually the result of STANDARDIZATION! Yeah, that surprises a lot of people, but one of the English kings decreed that all his subjects should use the same standards of measurement. It's an idiosyncratic system, but it was the standard for all of England. Actually the idiosyncratic parts were probably a throwback to the way things were done before then.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    The point being that anything you choose will always be arbitrary in some form. The gram is defined as the mass of one cubic centimeter of pure water at the melting point of ice. Why water? Why not mercury, or bromine?

What's more arbitrary is why a gramme is the mass of one cubic centimetre and not one cubic metre. A metre is reasonably large, a litre is reasonably large, the volt, candela, amp, etc. are all largish. So why are the gramme and bel so small?​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    Because a cubic meter of water is a lot of water. We'd end up never talking about things in terms of grams, but rather in terms of micrograms or decigrams or the like.
    Because a cubic meter of water is a lot of water. We'd end up never talking about things in terms of grams, but rather in terms of micrograms or decigrams or the like.

So why not a cubic lump of iron or something? Or gold?​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

edited November 2015

Yes, they do correspond to a specific physical phenomena - I defined it in my post. One second is equal to duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom.
    I was thinking that it would make more sense to use one unit of measurement on one cycle of a phenomena, say the cycle of a pulsar, for instance. But I guess that would be just as arbitrary as making up a measurement.
    Actually the light year is informal. Professional astronomers use the parsec, the distance at which one astronomical unit subtends an angle of one arcsecond.

An astronomical unit is the average distance of Earth from the Sun; an arcsecond would take too long to explain, so I'll let Wikipedia handle it.
    That's helpful. I'm familiar with AUs and arc minutes, but I wasn't familiar with the specifics of their use.

Here's part two of my question that delves more into culture and evolution than creating rational standards. How would a civilization developing on a Titan-like moon orbiting a gas giant measure its time? Could such a planet have seasonal variations of some sort? If your atmosphere is opaque, you can't measure the passing months by the stars like we do, and perhaps even sunlight would have difficulty penetrating your atmosphere.
  • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »

So why not a cubic lump of iron or something? Or gold?

A cubic meter of water weighs about 1000 kg, whereas the same volume of iron weighs about 7,874 kg.

Say nothing of 1 cubic meter of gold, which weighs about 19,282 kg!​​
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
    Cubic metre of oxygen, nitrogen, hydrogen or something. Why define it by metre? Why not mass of pure copper needed to conduct a volt or something. Why not just get that lump of paladium that represents a kilo and call it a gram?

#TASforSTO

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I think that would mostly be something taken care of by computers.

Extra challenges will be for relativistic travel. And without relativistic travel and without faster than light travel, it's irrelevant to be able to translate something like the time of day - it would take millenia to travel.

What unit of measurements we use is mostly arbitrary. Some units existed before they were standardized, and the standard definition was chosen to be very close to typical values used before.

I suppose something like Planck time and Planck length, as well as the electron charge would be a more objective base for measurements - but also very impractical, if you always have to operate with Tera or Peta as prefix to talk about meaningful values in every day life.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    There couldn't really be a unified time for the galaxy. What I see possibly happening is Federation ships keep Earth time. They have a computer maintaining the chronometers that take into account time dilation and stuff like that. When a ship goes into standard orbit...say around Risa...the ship the adopts Risa time. All Starfleet orders and communications will be given in Earth Standard Time (more than likely based on Star Fleet Commands actual time zone).
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    Why it is equal to 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom is something that's not known to me off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's some bright person around here who can tell you why.

The number 9,192,631,770 was chosen simply because it was the integer amount that was closest in length to the previous definition of the second (1/31,556,925.9747 of the mean tropical year circa AD 1900).

Atomic-based time measurement has the advantage of being (theoretically) absolutely stable due to the whole quantization-of-energy stuff--there are no too-small-to-notice fluctuations in the duration of the transition--either it transitions between the two levels, or else it fails to transition or transitions to some other level instead. In fact, by our current understanding of physics, any variations in the duration of the transition are the result of a variation in the speed of time itself due to relativistic effects (motion, gravity, etc.).

Anyway, the whole issue with different planets having their own day and year length (and different civilizations having their own time units), plus relativistic effects, is why Starfleet uses the Stardate system for timekeeping instead of any given member civilization's traditional calendar. We don't know the in-universe reason for why one thousand Stardate base units equals approximately one Earth year (the TV production reason was for season progression--41xxx was 1st season of TNG, 42xxx was 2nd season, etc.). Perhaps it's the length of a standard Starfleet duty shift (between eight and nine hours)?
  • mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    Actually you are all making it too complicated, you need a unit that is universal to not only yourself but to others you might encounter.

While for us the measurement of a second can be measured with great accuracy, what happens if you encounter a civilization that has never discovered Ceasium 133? all your measurements will be meaningless to them.

That's why I would personally use the universes natural clocks the pulsars! They are regular and regardless of the amount of our time quanta that we measure them in the amount of time between pulses will be the same for everyone. So all we and they have to do is say when a ship leaves planet 'A' that pulsar should pulse 'X' number of times before a ship arrives at planet 'B'.

Simples!​​
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    Simple except for the problem that the beam of a pulsar is highly directional and therefore is far far weaker and harder to detect if you don't have it pointed right at you. It's like trying to see a searchlight--it's easy to see if it points at you, but harder to see if it never ever points at you.

By the way, humankind learned about the cesium-method BEFORE we discovered pulsars (pulsars were discovered in the 1960s!), so saying that we should use pulsars "because cesium is too high of a tech hurdle" doesn't really pan out.
    By the way, humankind learned about the cesium-method BEFORE we discovered pulsars (pulsars were discovered in the 1960s!), so saying that we should use pulsars "because cesium is too high of a tech hurdle" doesn't really pan out.
    Tech barriers aren't the only reason a race might not know about cesium. Maybe the race's homeworld is cesium-poor. Maybe they were uplifted and got the tech without the underlying science. Maybe they just didn't learn about it in the course of developing their science.

Are there other celestial objects with a cyclic pattern? What about the rotation of the galaxy? It's too long to be a useful unit in and of itself, but we defined a year as 100,000,000th of a Galactic year?
    Tech barriers aren't the only reason a race might not know about cesium. Maybe the race's homeworld is cesium-poor. Maybe they were uplifted and got the tech without the underlying science. Maybe they just didn't learn about it in the course of developing their science.

Are there other celestial objects with a cyclic pattern? What about the rotation of the galaxy? It's too long to be a useful unit in and of itself, but we defined a year as 100,000,000th of a Galactic year?
    What if they're from Triangulum and haven't studied the Milky Way Galaxy enough to know it's precise rotation rate? :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing

What if they're from Triangulum and haven't studied the Milky Way Galaxy enough to know it's precise rotation rate? :p
    Gah! Space is too big and relative! What other phenomena have a universal, fixed cycle?
    mjarbar wrote: »
    Simples!​​

What if someone uses a different pulsar? They don't all pulse at the same rate, I don't think.
    Maybe they were uplifted and got the tech without the underlying science. Maybe they just didn't learn about it in the course of developing their science.

Not learning about cesium, even if it's rare on their planet, is vanishingly unlikely. It's an element, the existence and even some properties of which can be predicted when the aliens start assembling a periodic table of elements, something they'll have to do to start reaching advanced technology and studying their world closely - conversely if they're not the sort to go about investigating their world, this suggests that they're not the sort to try for space travel, either, and so colloquial methods of telling time would be sufficient to them.

Besides, astatine (atomic number 85) and berkelium (atomic number 97) are both very rare elements on Earth, but we know about them.

Mind, there's no particular reason that I'm aware of to use cesium-133 over any other radioactive isotope, further compounding the issue.
    Gah! Space is too big and relative! What other phenomena have a universal, fixed cycle?

Tons of things, but none of them are unique and so there's no reason to assume that an alien race would pick one of them over any other, i.e., there's nothing that makes the pulsar Centaurus X-3 a better choice than Vela X-1.
    YEah, Decay rates of radioisotopes is probably the best way to go.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • serhatgs1905serhatgs1905 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    we'll do it the way the master race that conquers us tells us to do... nothing much we can say or do about it in any time xD
    tactics? to pew pew or not to pew pew?!

• yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    Well, when it comes to writing fiction, the exact method of measuring time probably wouldn't be all that important (just like the inner workings of a mechanical or digital clock rarely come up in casual conversation) - people just have "universal chronometers" and as for how do they work, the answer is "very well, thank you" :smiley: An actual sollution to the problem could be keeping track of multiple planetary cycles at the same time, and have a computer work out the necessary conversion (just like I occasionally google what the heck is X:00am PDT in my local time, when there's some STO event about to begin/end) - especially if one was to encounter other species with their own time-measuring systems, it might be much easier to figure out the conversion rates, rather than agree on the same standard. Of course, it's possible that when humans finally get "out there", they will find out that there is already a large galactic empire in place, and they will have to accept whatever standard they already have in place, regardless of what it's based on (and just get used to the fact that their "day" is now "14.3 imperial hours"). It's also a possibility that "time" as we understand it is simply an outdated concept in the rest of the universe, and more advanced races "measure" their lives in a completely different manner.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    Since spacetime is perceived by the observer's frame of reference all time would have to be local time. Which would make for some serious jet lag.
    <3