test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cardassian Neck Trick (works on Cardassian males)

gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
While I really would like to see proper necks for Cardassian toons, I thought I'd show you something that can at least give you a useful optical illusion if you are playing a Cardassian male. Check this out:

screenshot_2014-09-02-01-25-28_zpsfcabc440.jpg

This is the Dyson open jacket for male toons. This worked out really well for me to give the illusion of my Cardassian having neck ridges.

Unfortunately, there are some drawbacks:

1) The female version is unfortunately in its usual "expose cleavage" mode, and may not create the same optical illusion of neck ridges. (That and aside from Natima Lang, we don't typically see Cardassian women go for revealing clothes...probably makes them too cold.)

2) This comes with a dilithium cost and requires access to a T3 spire.

3) Most commbadges clip, so in practice they are unusable.

Still, I thought I'd pass that along in case anyone likes this look. :)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.

Comments

• Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    Your toon, is it Romulan fed or just fed?
  • Options
    Your toon, is it Romulan fed or just fed?

He's Federation. I don't have the Dyson outfit on my Romulan-faction toon, and don't even know if it's available for them. Can anyone say whether you can purchase it for Rom-Feds?

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    Should be in the fleet spire. All factions should be able to access it.
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    Considering the popularity of this species, I'm really surprised that they haven't been made playable yet. Granted they may be holding that off as an "oh 5#!T" gimmick for when sales hit a new low, you would think they'd at least have done something in the sliders to accommodate the neck bones, since that would adjust the costumes as well, with little to no extra work.

But then again, I've been waiting over 5 years for them to give us full body skins for the playable borg race, which cost literally Hundreds of dollars to play as...

So, uh... Have fun waiting on that.
  • Options
    pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    I've got an alien alt that I made into a Cardassian as well as multiple "Cardassian" BOffs for multiple alts, and I agree it's frustrating that we don't have more resources to make better Cardassians in STO.

Not only do the Cardassian neckbones need to be addressed, but players need access to more hairstyles (several of which already exist in the game for NPCs but aren't available for players to use) that work for Cardassians without clipping or covering the "head spoon" on Cardassian foreheads. Likewise, I'd also love to be able to use some of the Cardassian outfits that are now being worn by NPCs but aren't currently available for players.

I don't want to have to pay 150 lobi to unlock Cardassian outfits on each of my individual alts, but I'd happily pay 500 or 750 zen for an account-wide unlock of a "true" Cardassian playable race that also unlocks Cardassian BOffs and Cardassian outfits.
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • Options
    Unfortunately there IS one thing about the neck that I worry could hold us back from getting proper Cardassian necks even if they get released as a playable race: massive clipping issues with existing outfits. :(

• Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    gulberat wrote: »
    Unfortunately there IS one thing about the neck that I worry could hold us back from getting proper Cardassian necks even if they get released as a playable race: massive clipping issues with existing outfits. :(

If you've ever played around with the neck slider in game, it looks like they've got that covered, so it shouldn't be too much worse than all the other costume pieces that clip without adjustments.