test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Who should be the "Series Six" showrunner?

mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
edited November 2015 in Ten Forward
I've been quietly reading the comments of the internets about this new Trek 2017 series, and I shake my head at a lot of them... however, one thing that gabbed me was the discussion about the "showrunner" of the series. Alex Kurtzman is NOT a Bad Robot employee, and is not a "showrunner" producer... he's likely more of the Rick Berman of this new era. The creative side of the series, therefore, is wide-open.

Now, they can still do the Abrams universe as a basis of the series... or they could go Prime universe. I personally think that they could go either way... I just want them to do it WELL. So! Setting aside the "Prime vs. JJverse" discussion, who would YOU want to be the Series Six creative head?
d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg

Who should be the "Series Six" showrunner? 21 votes

Seth McFarlane
14%
baudlbioiximneme0 3 votes
J. Michael Straczynski
9%
mhall85theraven2378 2 votes
Ira Steven Behr
9%
rahmkota19jonsills 2 votes
Ronald D. Moore
9%
mustrumridcully0wildthyme467989 2 votes
Manny Coto
33%
daveynylilchibiclarimarkhawkmangfreeman98captainchaos66starswordcthemadrigogs 7 votes
Other (LIST BELOW)
23%
alexmakepeacemarcusdkanevaloreahkhan5000sovereign47 5 votes

Comments

• Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Other (LIST BELOW)
    I don't know who it will be but I hope it's some one that has never show run a Star Trek show before. It's time for new blood and fresh ideas.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Manny Coto
    khan5000 wrote: »
    I don't know who it will be but I hope it's some one that has never show run a Star Trek show before. It's time for new blood and fresh ideas.

The last time they let somebody else who had "fresh ideas" in, we got "Nemesis" ...

I voted for Coto.
    At least he made ENTERPRISE Season Four interesting.
    (till Bragga-Berman swooped in at the end)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    J. Michael Straczynski
    valoreah wrote: »
    I think it's time to give some new writing talent a chance to shine.​​

Just as a point, Seth McFarlane and JMS never have produced a Star Trek series or film...
  • Options
    J. Michael Straczynski
    valoreah wrote: »
    mhall85 wrote: »
    Just as a point, Seth McFarlane and JMS never have produced a Star Trek series or film...

As I recall, JMS had pitched a few ideas to the studio in the past that were rejected. I'd like to see new talent get a chance.​​

True, and that is your choice, of course.

However, that does not mean the ideas were bad ones... there has been that somewhat-rumored-somewhat-confirmed no-compete agreement between Paramount/Bad Robot and CBS, so NO series idea would be green lit from about 2008, onward.

Further, I chose JMS because he knows how to write sci-fi, and he knows how to develop characters... plus, he's never been given the chance to play in the Trek universe.
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    Mr Straczinsky will always have a place with me for creating Babylon 5 (and according to rumors thereby DS9). But I never pay attention to those showrunner people and have no idea who did what, so I can't really vote.
  • Options
    Other (LIST BELOW)
    I tried to get into Babylon 5 but couldn't make it past the pilot
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    Other (LIST BELOW)
    daveyny wrote: »

The last time they let somebody else who had "fresh ideas" in, we got "Nemesis" ...

I voted for Coto.

Nemesis was a story developed by Brent Spiner and Rick Berman
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User

I voted for Coto.

Uhh.... by interesting I assume you mean 'got it cancelled' seeing as under his direction that was its last season.

Just saying
  • Options
    J. Michael Straczynski

I voted for Coto.

Uhh.... by interesting I assume you mean 'got it cancelled' seeing as under his direction that was its last season.

Just saying

Funny enough... Coto was also a part of the final seasons of Dexter and 24, as well... both of which ended in a whimper.

Still, Enterprise's fate was sealed before the fourth season began, and most fans agree it was its strongest outing. Coto at least had the presence of mind to ditch the Temporal Cold War garbage for good. He also hates "These Are The Voyages...", so he gets a slight pass in my book. :tongue:
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Other (LIST BELOW)
    MEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! I guarantee you I'll pitch an idea that's simple, small-scale and humorous that becomes increasingly dramatic, narratively complicated, technically complicated, and grows to endanger the entire universe as I actually start writing it. Because that's how all my writing projects turn out.

I already know I have valoreah's support from another thread :tongue:

(No, this isn't a real suggestion. Making me a corporate writer would be like asking Jackson Pollock to paint a still life.)
    Post edited by alexmakepeace on
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    It hasn't even made it to pilot yet never mind being given a sixth series...

Oh, you meant 'show' :D.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    Ira Steven Behr
    artan42 wrote: »

Oh, you meant 'show' :D.​​
    Yes, it's being made here in the States, where what some call a "series" is called a "season". Also, around here "boots" and "bonnets" are things you wear, not parts of your car, and we call sheep intestines "dog food ingredients", not "haggis". :wink:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    Manny Coto

I voted for Coto.

But the director had barely even heard of Star Trek before he was picked and had no interest in it before hand.
    (nor during, apparently)

That only seems to work when the person is of a higher caliber like JJ, who got away with it because he at least brought in folks that were very interested in attempting to make it retain a lot Trek flavor.

I'm really hoping that "Star Trek: Beyond's" director (Lin) has the same thought processes...
    Having Pegg, with his keen interest in Trek, has allayed my fears a bit, but only time will tell.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    Other (LIST BELOW)

I voted for Coto.

But the director had barely even heard of Star Trek before he was picked and had no interest in it before hand.
    (nor during, apparently)

That only seems to work when the person is of a higher caliber like JJ, who got away with it because he at least brought in folks that were very interested in attempting to make it retain a lot Trek flavor.

I'm really hoping that "Star Trek: Beyond's" director (Lin) has the same thought processes...
    Having Pegg, with his keen interest in Trek, has allayed my fears a bit, but only time will tell.

Actually Nicholas Meyer who directed Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country and wrote Voyage Home...and he wasn't a Trekkie and never watch an episode
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    J. Michael Straczynski
    JMS has my vote, he can write characters well and develop them very well.

Been on bit of a B5 marathon of late and I find it more interesting than trek with the Shadow war and Earth Alliance Civil War arcs
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      Manny Coto
      JMS has my vote, he can write characters well and develop them very well.

Been on bit of a B5 marathon of late and I find it more interesting than trek with the Shadow war and Earth Alliance Civil War arcs
      Well... that's just it... until late TNG they didn't really TRY to do character development.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • Options
      edited November 2015
      Manny Coto

I voted for Coto.

(nor during, apparently)

Actually Nicholas Meyer who directed Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country and wrote Voyage Home...and he wasn't a Trekkie and never watch an episode

He actually did watch "Space Seed" while re-writing the script at Roddenberry's bequest.
      (Harve Bennett supposedly watched it with him)
      There's no doubt that Meyer at the very least, understood the complex nature of the Kirk/Spock/McCoy relationship and also the Kirk/Khan dynamic.
      That is very apparent when one watches both of his Trek movies.

And he is certainly as high a caliber Producer/Director as JJ.
      Though he was at his peak in the late '70s to early '90s, he also is an exception to the rule.
    • Options
      Other (LIST BELOW)

I voted for Coto.

(nor during, apparently)

He actually did watch "Space Seed" while re-writing the script at Roddenberry's bequest.
      (Harve Bennett supposedly watched it with him)
      There's no doubt that Meyer at the very least, understood the complex nature of the Kirk/Spock/McCoy relationship.
      That is very apparent when one watches both of his Trek movies.

And he is certainly as high a caliber Producer/Director as JJ.
      Though he was at his peak in the '80s & '90s, he also is an exception to the rule.

He watched it after getting the job.
      However the point I was making still stands. Sometimes people who are not fans can see the IP clearer than fans would.
      Your pain runs deep.
    • Options
      marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
      Other (LIST BELOW)
      Vic Mignogna aka James T Kirk... B)
    • Options
      jonsills wrote: »
      artan42 wrote: »

Oh, you meant 'show' :D.
      Yes, it's being made here in the States, where what some call a "series" is called a "season". Also, around here "boots" and "bonnets" are things you wear, not parts of your car, and we call sheep intestines "dog food ingredients", not "haggis". :wink:

Oh, trust me, they're known as 'dog food ingredients' here as well. Only the Scots treat them like real food and I'm sure they only do it to fool tourists or the English :D.​​
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
      sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
      Other (LIST BELOW)
      I'll vote for myself when it comes to this one, as I do have a great ideas and would definitely set show in prime universe and post Nemesis/Voyager period. It would be something like DS9, but on a much bigger (galactic) scale and without just one ship/station in the main focus.

From the other possible options I would most probably go with JMS as he really did a great work with Babylon 5, so I'm thinking he could do very good with Trek too.
      FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
      SZ1RgUL.jpg
      SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!
    • Options
      starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      edited November 2015
      Manny Coto
      Joss Whedon would actually be my first choice -- not strictly because of Firefly, but because he excels at handling ensemble casts, whereas B&B tended to focus on three characters and let the rest go hang -- but I wouldn't mind seeing Manny Coto handle things again because ENT was finally getting good.
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    • Options
      starswordc wrote: »
      Joss Whedon would actually be my first choice

I don't want to see that. I love the guy but Age of Ultron broke him. And Star Trek fans can be even more venomous then Marvel fans.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
      Other (LIST BELOW)
      Yeah I doubt Whedon will work on anything he doesn't own from now on
      Your pain runs deep.
    • Options
      edited November 2015
      J. Michael Straczynski
      Meh. I hated Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. during the first half of the first season, and many were pointing to it being too "Whedon-esque" (which would explain why I hated it). Plus, I couldn't get into Firefly, so I really don't think he'd be the right call.

I actually don't think that would be too different from picking Abrams, TBH.
    • Options
      mhall85 wrote: »
      Meh. I hated Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. during the first half of the first season, and many were pointing to it being too "Whedon-esque" (which would explain why I hated it). Plus, I couldn't get into Firefly, so I really don't think he'd be the right call.

I actually don't think that would be too different from picking Abrams, TBH.

Joss had hardly anything to do with AoS. And Firefly is objectively brilliant, so the problem is with you :p.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
      jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
      Ira Steven Behr
      The problem with the first season of AoS was that they knew where they were going, but they weren't allowed to get there until Winter Soldier came out, as the big twist in the show was also the big twist in the movie. (I think that was all to the good in the long run - giving us such a long period of the blandly heroic Grant Ward just made his unmasking, and his subsequent character, that much better.)​​
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png