test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are we getting screwed this christmess event?

brew8brew8 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
Ok i read they are changing up the Autographed Photos of Q, thats fine, they said we can change them for other stuff but then what about us that are tring to get the older ships, i have been tring to save them for this year and my lbois to get nore to get the other ships im missing, so I didnt read that we can change them for what ever is new straight out, so i wonder is this a new TRIBBLE the old time players just like the Admiralty system?

Comments

• seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    If you still have last year's projects slotted you can complete them with the new currency they're giving out this time but if you don't then you're out of luck.
    From what I see it's more like a "TRIBBLE the new guys" like in the summer event. Those who were around last year had their chance to get all 3 breen ships in 1 go but those who started this year are denied the previous event ships (wich would help them enormously in the admiralty system) because cryptic likes it that way.
    Same story as with the summer event, as some of us predicted back then.
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    Why is it that older players who haven't bothered with these things are using new-coming players as strawmen in this argument? Most new-comers do not "feel screwed" as you put. We know very well that we won't be able to get a lot of older items (anniversary stuff, shinies from old events, ect), that's the stable when you enter a game later in its life.
    Both with this as well as with the Summer Event changes the only people I heard whining were the players who was around last time but didn't bother getting stuff then and are now miffed that they Cryptic has changed the rules. Newer players was all 'oh well then'. Yes it would of course have been nice for us to be able to get the older ships, but none of us expected to be able to.

If you want to be upset about the changes go right ahead. I'm not saying that older players are wrong in being so as the changes are rather abrupt and unwarned on Cryptic's part. But ffs, stop using new players as strawmen in this. We are generally not the ones dissatisfied with the state of things, you are.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    brew8 wrote: »
    Ok i read they are changing up the Autographed Photos of Q, thats fine, they said we can change them for other stuff but then what about us that are tring to get the older ships, i have been tring to save them for this year and my lbois to get nore to get the other ships im missing, so I didnt read that we can change them for what ever is new straight out, so i wonder is this a new TRIBBLE the old time players just like the Admiralty system?

You should have grinded the Winter ships. Frankly, it takes about 2 minutes each day to do the race.
    edited November 2015
    skollulfr wrote: »
    ilithyn wrote: »
    Why is it that older players who haven't bothered with these things are using new-coming players as strawmen in this argument? Most new-comers do not "feel screwed" as you put.

because the one thing gnawing at everyone's mind, consciously or not, is that the player population is dropping to damaging levels. due to so much of the grind being designed around and dependant upon a given population to make it functional.
    and putting systems into the game to increase accessibility, is a very necessary venture at this point.
    otherwise, sto will stop being financially viable, and shut down.

And from where have you got the info that the player levels are dropping? Source please?`And anecdotal evidence doesn't prove anything and I can easily counter it with the number of new players deliberately brought into the game by myself, fleet mates and those random people we've snatched up from elsewhere.
    And stop bringing up those effing queues as an argument, because as a new player I can tell you that their emptiness might have zero to do with a dropping player base and everything to do with an entitled, heads-up-their-arses older players base which are very unwelcoming to new comers trying out the contents. (Speaking of them I think I need to make a discussion on the emptiness from a new comers perspective, because from where we're sitting it really has little to nothing to do with Delta Rising or possible nerfs, or whatever else oldtimers like to complain about.)

Actually, considering the number of threads here, on reddit and even blog posts on bloody tumblr about "new player, seeking help", or "old player returning" I would personally dispute those claims of falling player base without some real hard data to support it. (And for the record, Steam charts aren't a good source of data either as it only covers a very small number of players and there is no indication that the demographic is statistically representative of the STO playerbase.)

Finally concerning the grind. Grind is a fact of life in any MMO, if you know of one without it I'd love to make its acquaintance because it would be as rare as a unicorn. As for the grind in STO, it is no worse, and imo a hell of a lot less than most MMO's I've played over the years.

Edit: Something I realised I left out. How is giving/maintaining access to older event item 'increasing accessibility'? Because I fail to follow you. To me that would mean making a manual so new players could more easily understand the confusion that is skill points/traits/ect, or how space combat with its confusion of different weapon types, half million consoles and so on affect one another. That would be an increase in the accessibility of the game, not whether or not a new player can get an old ship or weapon.
    Post edited by ilithyn on
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Yes, you are getting screwed. Shafted. Cheated. They want to see you suffer. Bleed. They laugh tears because you don't get a free ship from two years ago. They want to make your life living hell. The worst case you can think of became reality.

pig-43.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I started playing around Feb of 2012. There are more than a few items I will not ever be able to get without Cryptic releasing them again. Oh well. LTS players also get some very nice perks. I'm not LTS. Again, oh well. I do not to grind for the Event Ships and I do not feel like I am missing out on anything. Guess I'll just have to play the STO we have instead of moaning about the STO I want. If other people want every ship, fine. That is how they play. As long as they are enjoying themselves, this is what this game is all about.

Now, about those alleged "oldtimers". Most of the ones posting the most often about "newbies getting screwed by Cryptic" have a join date considerably younger than mine. They also seem to be using the newer players as a stalking horse. To hide behind while they take their bows for being "all altru...altru...! Man! Imma jus' lookin' out for da new guys!"

They dress their posts in fine phrases and honeyed words to show the rest of us how they are concerned, caring citizens of STO . Who hug unicorns in their spare time and hand out blankets to the homeless and are saving the environment one plastic bottle at a time. Nothing could be further from the actual situation.

All of their posts can be rendered down to the following:
    "Whut? Aw man! Cryptic says dey gonna stop givin' away last year's ship! Dat's not fair! I only gotz ta get annudur six hunnert and fiddy pitchers! Imma complain 'bout dis! But Imma smart! Imma complain so's it look like Imma lookin' out fer de n00bs! Imma beyoch slap cryptic and look all kewel while doin' it. 'Cuz Imma smarter dan dey are, Cuz!"

To the new guys:
    Welcome! I am glad you're here! If I can do something to help you enjoy the game more, please ask. Be glad to do it.

To the posers:
    Yo, Dude? Your cover? It is blown.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    I started playing around Feb of 2012. There are more than a few items I will not ever be able to get without Cryptic releasing them again. Oh well. LTS players also get some very nice perks. I'm not LTS. Again, oh well. I do not to grind for the Event Ships and I do not feel like I am missing out on anything. Guess I'll just have to play the STO we have instead of moaning about the STO I want. If other people want every ship, fine. That is how they play. As long as they are enjoying themselves, this is what this game is all about.

Now, about those alleged "oldtimers". Most of the ones posting the most often about "newbies getting screwed by Cryptic" have a join date considerably younger than mine. They also seem to be using the newer players as a stalking horse. To hide behind while they take their bows for being "all altru...altru...! Man! Imma jus' lookin' out for da new guys!"

They dress their posts in fine phrases and honeyed words to show the rest of us how they are concerned, caring citizens of STO . Who hug unicorns in their spare time and hand out blankets to the homeless and are saving the environment one plastic bottle at a time. Nothing could be further from the actual situation.

All of their posts can be rendered down to the following:
    "Whut? Aw man! Cryptic says dey gonna stop givin' away last year's ship! Dat's not fair! I only gotz ta get annudur six hunnert and fiddy pitchers! Imma complain 'bout dis! But Imma smart! Imma complain so's it look like Imma lookin' out fer de n00bs! Imma beyoch slap cryptic and look all kewel while doin' it. 'Cuz Imma smarter dan dey are, Cuz!"

To the new guys:
    Welcome! I am glad you're here! If I can do something to help you enjoy the game more, please ask. Be glad to do it.

To the posers:
    Yo, Dude? Your cover? It is blown.

I would just like to add that I didn't mean all oldtimers was this way. Also that the term when I use it covers a rather mixed bag of individual who mostly have a join date prior to Delta Rising, but after the game went f2p. But again, it isn't everyone in that group who's doing this, I have merely observed that the majority that does do this type of whine post - and especially those who use the newcomers as strawmen - falls inside these parameters. OP is a brilliant example of this.

Okay, enough fancy language for one thread, otherwise I might explode the brains of the poor readers.