What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Utopia Planitia Report #3

2»

Comments

• Options
    badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    So much fun catching up with Whetu and Elyos. Where will there adventures take them next?
  • Options
    yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    farshot927 wrote: »
    The torpedo warhead detail comes from the DS9 Technical Manual, according to Memory Alpha:
    The notched forward hull containing the vessel's navigational deflector and main sensors was a detachable single-use last-resort missile. This missile was equipped with a small impulse engine and a magazine with six torpedo warheads. These torpedo warheads were part of the ship's auto-destruct system and under more normal circumstances could be fired from the forward launcher. Any torpedo warheads left in the magazine would become the missile's warhead upon the missile's separation from the rest of the ship. If no torpedo warheads remained, then the missile would have to rely on kinetic energy alone. The ship would be unable to travel at high warp speeds without the missile since the latter contained the ship's navigational deflector.

I'd like to point out that this is why the console was originally the "Photon Warhead Module". It was initially referring to this piece of technology. Shame that Cryptic caved to pressure to make it Quantum. Now the reference is slightly less apparent.

Except you don't launch your ship's nose in the first place, so the point is moot. Personally, I'd have preferred it if it were a dual torpedo launcher instead of what it is, but... it is what it is, I guess.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    dalolorn wrote: »
    The torpedo warhead detail comes from the DS9 Technical Manual, according to Memory Alpha:
    The notched forward hull containing the vessel's navigational deflector and main sensors was a detachable single-use last-resort missile. This missile was equipped with a small impulse engine and a magazine with six torpedo warheads. These torpedo warheads were part of the ship's auto-destruct system and under more normal circumstances could be fired from the forward launcher. Any torpedo warheads left in the magazine would become the missile's warhead upon the missile's separation from the rest of the ship. If no torpedo warheads remained, then the missile would have to rely on kinetic energy alone. The ship would be unable to travel at high warp speeds without the missile since the latter contained the ship's navigational deflector.

I'd like to point out that this is why the console was originally the "Photon Warhead Module". It was initially referring to this piece of technology. Shame that Cryptic caved to pressure to make it Quantum. Now the reference is slightly less apparent.

Except you don't launch your ship's nose in the first place, so the point is moot. Personally, I'd have preferred it if it were a dual torpedo launcher instead of what it is, but... it is what it is, I guess.

Maybe this little enterprise (pun intended) convinces them to redesign the warhead module in something more practical and useful?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options

Maybe this little enterprise (pun intended) convinces them to redesign the warhead module in something more practical and useful?

*shrugs* I'd still rather have dual torpedoes. :tongue:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    @pwlaughingtrendy, is this for some reason not stickied or something? It's somewhere way down in Galactic News, even though it had the most recent post.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    kasrakenkasraken Member Posts: 213 Bug Hunter
    I am glad to see Kurland alive and well, he is one of my favorite characters in the game. I hope one day to go on a mission with him and see what type of iconic ability(s) he has.
    (like Worf, Tuvok, and Shon possessed in previous missions).
    MacoShield_zpsus2ux3rw.png
    Operational Support Team
    Squishing Bugs for a better future
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    Honestly... we need more Kurland in the game. The voice acting for him was really top-notch, and the fact that it's the go-to meme for STO, I laugh so hard everytime I hear it.

Right in the Battle of Sol - "Kurland here... *static*." You guys made me laugh in the biggest battle of the game to date :smiley:
    They really should be permanent NPCs stationed around Mars as an accessible point for Fed-side players. Even if they just reuse the shipyard assets from the KDF raid on Mars in one of the missions, it would be fine. The main purpose would just be to show off newly released ships as well as tease some upcoming ships; both in Dev-written logs and in the actual space facilities (even if it's just an old model standing in).

For example; some Dev-writing over progress of the "big plans" for the Odyssey as a series of logs that are updated every other Thursday or so, with one Odyssey sitting in one of the larger shipyard bays.

Utopia Planitia is definitely becomming a thing with these great story blogs. I'd love to see it be a regularly-accessible map, with Whetu & co. there. Doing anything. And then the important ships coming in and out on a cycle - the Defiant, the Enterprise, Nog's and Paris' ships, the Aventine (we need Ezri Dax in the game, btw :smile: ), Voyager, and so on.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    I'm not sure Kurland is allowed to speak anymore--or at least, new material can't be recorded for him, unless Borticus gets his SAG card. Stupid SAG.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    I'm not sure Kurland is allowed to speak anymore--or at least, new material can't be recorded for him, unless Borticus gets his SAG card. Stupid SAG.

You can say that again. :neutral:

• Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited November 2015

I think - and I could be totally wrong on this - that there's a clause that would allow voice actors to return to a role that was cast prior to converting to SAG-certified casting. Either way, he made the voice iconic enough that he deserves a next shot at it. Through the entire reading of the blog, I could just hear Borticus as Kurland.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Just like how the actor who played the punk on the bus, nerve-pinched by Spock in Star Trek IV, once said "I could win the Nobel Peace Prize and my grave would still say 'Punk On Bus – Star Trek IV'.", Borticus would have "Kurland here" as his epitath.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    gilion wrote: »
    The nose of the Defiant can be launched as a weapon? Is that cannon? :P
    Also, I wonder how Jeremy (Kirland's VA) feels that his char is a meme in the game.
    Jeremy, aka Borticus, stuck it in his sig.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Getting blown out of Utopia Planitia? That has...

tumblr_m41bwycE5I1qfju6h.gif

... got to suck.

Also, why not a Photonic Officer? Starfleet uses them constantly, and Voyager was able to project The Doctor into space with no ill effect.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    So Kurland survived the war. And now we have an explanation as to the Exocomp "pets" in game: there are both sentient and non-sentient varieties.

You're friggin kidding me right? You didn't know about the exocomps? The Dumbing Down of Planet Earth continues in STO.

READING. It's not just for dummies.​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    [q
    thetanine wrote: »
    So Kurland survived the war. And now we have an explanation as to the Exocomp "pets" in game: there are both sentient and non-sentient varieties.

You're friggin kidding me right? You didn't know about the exocomps? The Dumbing Down of Planet Earth continues in STO.

READING. It's not just for dummies.​​

Yeah... that's a little harsh for a nugget of lore that's relatively obscure.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    They really should be permanent NPCs stationed around Mars as an accessible point for Fed-side players. Even if they just reuse the shipyard assets from the KDF raid on Mars in one of the missions, it would be fine. The main purpose would just be to show off newly released ships as well as tease some upcoming ships; both in Dev-written logs and in the actual space facilities (even if it's just an old model standing in).

For example; some Dev-writing over progress of the "big plans" for the Odyssey as a series of logs that are updated every other Thursday or so, with one Odyssey sitting in one of the larger shipyard bays.

They should just make the First Contact day Utopia Planitia map accessable all year long, via shuttle from ESD, and display new C-store ships there too.

100000000% agreed!
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    How come Kurland hasn't been demoted back to Ensign yet? He lost DS9 like what, 4 times? Once he cowardly abandoned his post and let his first officer getting murdered in his stead. He is the epitome of incompetence. He should be reassinged as a scrubmen on a garbage scow.
  • Options
    szim wrote: »
    How come Kurland hasn't been demoted back to Ensign yet? He lost DS9 like what, 4 times? Once he cowardly abandoned his post and let his first officer getting murdered in his stead. He is the epitome of incompetence. He should be reassinged as a scrubmen on a garbage scow.

In the current canon, he lost DS9 once against overwhelming Jem'Hadar forces. (By that standard, Sisko should have been demoted as well.)

As for Andrews... the episode made it quite clear that A: there was no possible choice but to evacuate the station, and B: the Jem'Hadar had cut off access to Ops, preventing Kurland from going there to take her place.

• Options
    gaevsprivsmangaevsprivsman Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    szim wrote: »

In the current canon, he lost DS9 once against overwhelming Jem'Hadar forces. (By that standard, Sisko should have been demoted as well.)

As for Andrews... the episode made it quite clear that A: there was no possible choice but to evacuate the station, and B: the Jem'Hadar had cut off access to Ops, preventing Kurland from going there to take her place.

So, in a way... Kurland was not there...
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    That was a great piece of writing. I do hope you continue to expand on these two characters. You've hit on a story line that I'd love to follow and see how this pair evolve.

I can imagine a technician looking out of the Utopia Planetia dockyard control room window, just as the Defiant drifts past...backwards.

"umm Comander....Kurlands here...."

server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    nyxadrill wrote: »
    That was a great piece of writing. I do hope you continue to expand on these two characters. You've hit on a story line that I'd love to follow and see how this pair evolve.

I can imagine a technician looking out of the Utopia Planetia dockyard control room window, just as the Defiant drifts past...backwards.

"umm Comander....Kurlands here...."

Yeah, I think I like these stories (and the one that came with Sunrise) better than the Tales of the War. Even the life-threatening peril seems more light-hearted now, and I like it. :smile:

• Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    @pwlaughingtrendy, is this for some reason not stickied or something? It's somewhere way down in Galactic News, even though it had the most recent post.
    Short answer: yes. Slightly less shorter it's kinda a longer answer but not really that much longer: it's complicated.

• Options
    Short answer: yes. Slightly less shorter it's kinda a longer answer but not really that much longer: it's complicated.
    Okay... May all the complications be resolved in due time and everyone be happy everafter.