test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Two kinetic cutting beam?

zisko#6191 zisko Member Posts: 49 Arc User
Has any one try having two kinetic cutting beams? By this I mean one of them is upgrade while the other one is not. just like how you can have two Omni beams one upgrade, and the second one not upgrade.

Comments

• Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,320 Arc User
    Doesn't work because it's part of a set. Only one KCB per ship and it doesn't matter if it is upgraded or not.​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    jbmaverickjbmaverick Member Posts: 935 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    That trick really only worked on the omnibeams because they were originally issued as level-matched items and once the upgrade system was in place they were issued as leveled items, likely treated as 2 different items in the database so they didn't check for the presence of each other. The KCB has always been a Mk12 item, there was never any other variant of it so there's no way you could equip 2 of them.

Edit: to clarify on the last part, when the upgrade system was introduced, it also involved a redesign of the item database. Originally, a Mk10 item and a Mk12 item would be 2 completely different items. In fact, a Mk10 [CrtD]x2 item and a Mk10 [CrtD]x3 item were completely different items. The redesign changed it so that the base item is always the same, regardless of level or modifiers. As such, a Mk12 KCB and a Mk14 KCB share the same base item. Omnibeams got around this because the level-matching item was still a different base item to the leveled item.
    Post edited by jbmaverick on

The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
  • Options
    zisko#6191 zisko Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    Thank you for the information, I nearly made an error in waiting dilithium.
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    They changed it where you can have two omnis of the same type with different levels right?
  • Options
    darleathdarleath Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    Actually you can equip ONE (1) Kinetic Cutting Beam per ship (so you can have two, but the second one will be on one of your backup ships in the ship selector), ONE Omni Directional Beam from R&D Production, and ONE Omni Directional Beam from Quests (right now, only Tetryons and Antiprotons, I think).
  • Options
    jbmaverickjbmaverick Member Posts: 935 Arc User
    This trick was restricted to the Antiproton Omnibeam from the Obelisk mission (can't recall the name at the moment). Because the mission was available to low-level players when the item was first introduced, the beam was a level-matching item (denoted by an infinity symbol in place of the Mark Roman numeral identifier). When the upgrade system was introduced later, it became possible to take the level-matched item and put it into the upgrade system, making it a level-appropriate weapon in line with the new inventory system and removing the level-matching ability. However, this caused an unintended effect where the level-matched and second beam were two different items that didn't check for the presence of the other when equipping, allowing you to equip both simultaneously. I believe this has since been fixed.

This does not account for the crafted omnibeams, which are in their own equip category and can be equipped simultaneously to the Ancient Technology AP omnibeam or any other mission reward omnibeam. It's currently possible to equip 2 omnibeams of the same damage type ONLY IF one is crafted and the other is a mission reward. You could consider the KCB to be an omnibeam as well with its own category, allowing up to 3 to be equipped, and I'm not sure about mission reward omnibeams of different types, although it's generally considered bad practice to mix damage types anyway.

The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
  • Options
    sierra078sierra078 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    As far as I know there are only two sets of Omni beams where you can equip two of the same type. The Ancient antiproton & R&D Antiproton can be equipped at the same time. Also the Tetryon and Anti-chroniton infused tetryon array can be eqiupped at the same time. I believe this is because they have different attributes (critical chance or anti-chronitons) Personally I wish they'd make the Reputation 'advanced beam weapons' like the Experimental Romulan beam array, dyson beam, thoron infused, radiant antiproton etc into Omnis.