test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Multiple Consoles

raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
edited November 2015 in The Academy
Hi everyone

I want to know with multiple engineering alloy, armour and plating consoles, for example neutronium, will you receive diminshing returns? If I used different armour and alloy consoles, for example 1 neutronium, 1 ablative and 1 monmentium or 1 tetraburnium you will recieve the full resistance? Do you get the full resistance plus a bonus?

With tactical consoles, if you have multiple consoles of the same type, for example phaser relay x2 or x4 or zero point quantum chamber x2 or x3 will you get the full percentage bonus?

Comments

• Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    tac consoles stack. Resistance consoles have a diminishing returns
  • Options
    dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    You can see the diminishing returns on armor consoles with this spreadsheet I made: http://bit.ly/STOShipDamageResistance. It's missing some of the latest additions to the game, but it should have all the armor consoles.

Tac consoles stack properly without any diminished returns.​​
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    What about rcs consoles, shield cap consoles, stealth?
  • Options
    jbmaverickjbmaverick Member Posts: 935 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    All consoles give you the value they say regardless of how many you already have equipped or if you have different types with similar effects. The only one that shows any real diminishing returns are consoles that boost resistance ratings. They still give you the stated resistance rating, but what that translates into in terms of damage reduction is determined through a continuous diminishing return on the total value. For example, if you equipped 2 armor consoles that both have +50, it would be the same result as equipping one with +60 and one with +40. Both would result in increasing your resistance rating by 100, but how much damage reduction that means is dependent on your total resistance rating, from the consoles and any other sources.

Tactical consoles are also not multiplicative on each other, they only affect base damage and are additive with each other for a total effect, so equipping 2 consoles with +30% damage equates to a +60% boost, not +69%.
    Post edited by jbmaverick on

The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    dabelgrave wrote: »
    You can see the diminishing returns on armor consoles with this spreadsheet I made: http://bit.ly/STOShipDamageResistance. It's missing some of the latest additions to the game, but it should have all the armor consoles.

Yes, I have seen your spreadsheet before. Thank you for the link. If I were to use multiple engineering consoles of different types for example, 1 neutronium, 1 ablative and 1 monmentium or 1 tetraburnium will I receive the full resistance or also have diminishing returns?
    Post edited by raj011 on
  • Options
    raj011 wrote: »

Yes, I have seen your spreadsheet before. Thank you for the link. If I were to use multiple engineering consoles of different types for example, 1 neutronium, 1 ablative and 1 monmentium or 1 tetraburnium will I receive the full resistance or also have diminishing returns?

No one has an answer or answers to this?
  • Options
    jbmaverickjbmaverick Member Posts: 935 Arc User
    I did answer your question 2 posts up. All consoles will give you exactly what they say they will. Armor consoles are just special in that the damage reduction provided is dependent on your existing damage resistance rating.

The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
  • Options

Tac consoles stack properly without any diminished returns.

If you used the spreadsheet, you could see the diminishing returns. It's not per console type, it's per damage resistance type (phaser, kinetic, polaron, etc).​​
  • Options

If you used the spreadsheet, you could see the diminishing returns. It's not per console type, it's per damage resistance type (phaser, kinetic, polaron, etc).​​

Could you please explain this further? If I understand you correctly. You are saying that if it is the same damage resistance type e.g phaser on nenutronium and phaser on ablative I will still receive diminishing returns, even if they are the same percentage console? Or does it mean something else?

• Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited November 2015

Could you please explain this further? If I understand you correctly. You are saying that if it is the same damage resistance type e.g phaser on nenutronium and phaser on ablative I will still receive diminishing returns, even if they are the same percentage console? Or does it mean something else?

Ship got many resistance types. Each one different number. Each number computed individually. That mean DR for each computed seperate too. Bottom line: different types "stack" just fine (they don't actually "stack" because they are for different values, but for the same reason, they don't DR each other either) but its kinda bad to do this, use one or at most two of the GOOD resist ALL consoles and have done with it.

• Options
    edited November 2015

If you used the spreadsheet, you could see the diminishing returns. It's not per console type, it's per damage resistance type (phaser, kinetic, polaron, etc).

Yes, phaser damage rating on neutronium and phaser damage rating on ablative give diminishing returns. All your phaser damage resists get added together, and put through a diminishing returns formula to determine your final resistance to phaser damage.

VR Mk XII Neutronium has a phaser resistance rating of 20. By itself, diminishing returns gives you a final phaser resistance of 16.61%.

VR Mk XII Ablative has a phaser resistance rating of 30. By itself, diminishing returns gives you a final phaser resistance of 22.92%.

Combined, they give a phaser resistance rating of 50. Together, diminishing returns gives you a final phaser resistance of 32.81%, which is less than the 39.53% you would expect if they were calculated separately before being added.

The diminishing returns formula means your final damage resistance (not counting anything from bonus damage resistance) can never exceed 75% no matter how much damage resistance rating you stack. If your consoles had a rating of 10,000, you'd still only have a resistance just under 75%.​​
  • Options

If you used the spreadsheet, you could see the diminishing returns. It's not per console type, it's per damage resistance type (phaser, kinetic, polaron, etc).

Yes, phaser damage rating on neutronium and phaser damage rating on ablative give diminishing returns. All your phaser damage resists get added together, and put through a diminishing returns formula to determine your final resistance to phaser damage.

VR Mk XII Neutronium has a phaser resistance rating of 20. By itself, diminishing returns gives you a final phaser resistance of 16.61%.

VR Mk XII Ablative has a phaser resistance rating of 30. By itself, diminishing returns gives you a final phaser resistance of 22.92%.

Combined, they give a phaser resistance rating of 50. Together, diminishing returns gives you a final phaser resistance of 32.81%, which is less than the 39.53% you would expect if they were calculated separately before being added.

The diminishing returns formula means your final damage resistance (not counting anything from bonus damage resistance) can never exceed 75% no matter how much damage resistance rating you stack. If your consoles had a rating of 10,000, you'd still only have a resistance just under 75%.​​

So how does a player reach the maximum resistance of 75%?
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    You can't literally reach 75% because that would require infinity resistance rating points. Realistically speaking, it's not worth pursuing resistance beyond about 100 points. Just get yourself three Neutronium consoles (fleet dilithium mine ones are best), upgrade them to Mk XIV, and be done with it.
  • Options
    So how does a player reach the maximum resistance of 75%?
    It is not possible just by stacking damage resistance rating (DRR). To surpass 75%, you need damage bonus resistance rating (DBRR). You can find this on some traits, and things like the Long Range Science Vessel Retrofit's Ablative Generator console.
    Realistically speaking, it's not worth pursuing resistance beyond about 100 points. Just get yourself three Neutronium consoles (fleet dilithium mine ones are best), upgrade them to Mk XIV, and be done with it.
    This is good advice. Don't bother trying more than three armor consoles (Neutronium recommended), and if you feel safe enough with just two, that's even better since it can free up a console slot for something else.

There are also many boff abilities that provide damage resistance rating you can use to supplement any perceived deficiency in damage resistance, things like Emergency Power to Shields, Auxiliary to Dampeners, Auxiliary to Structural, Polarize Hull, Attack Pattern Delta, and Attack Pattern Omega. Damage resistance is also affected by doff selection, skill points, and more. I wrote a guide a couple years ago, so it's somewhat dated, but much of the info still applies: https://docs.google.com/document/d/183gKs_JstCnOrO_jWjvDwMN8K8jGnk7VMJtwwoXf0Jk/edit?usp=sharing​​
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    who needs armour? Pfff, puny Federation cowards! Just move in quickly, have some engineering teams on ready and kill your enemy before they can kill you.
  • Options
    who needs armour? Pfff, puny Federation cowards! Just move in quickly, have some engineering teams on ready and kill your enemy before they can kill you.
    Some of us could do that, and have fun in the process. Others... probably not.
    ;)​​
  • Options
    odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    ​​[/quote]

So how does a player reach the maximum resistance of 75%?[/quote]

Certain Science ships can reach higher than 75% all res but only for like, 7-10 seconds..

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    Some of us could do that, and have fun in the process. Others... probably not.
    ;)
    Sometimes you have fun, sometimes fun has you. I personally prefer to avoid all of this "fun" business. Horrid stuff, that fun.
    By fun, I mean hitting full reverse and two seconds later blowing up that pesky Bird-of-Prey that just decloaked off my starboard nacelle.​​