test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Admiralty System: Abnormally high number of science-heavy assignments

hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
edited October 2015 in Duty Officer System and R&D
In both campaigns, I've been getting a ton of assignments that have heavy science requirements. Considering Cryptic hasn't released a science vessel into the game in ages (excluding promotions), this is definitely going to be a problem with assignments requiring over 100+ science. Feds have some science options at T5 and T6, but the KDF and Roms have very few or none altogether.

BTW, does anyone know which ships have the ignore science requirements trait? Would be really helpful. :/

EDIT: Yes, I am looking at other ship traits and utilizing ones that help boost science. One of the things I like about this new system.

Comments

• generator88generator88 Member Posts: 698 Arc User
    For KDF, you're looking for the Phalanx. Dunno about Fed, check their science ships of the equivalent Tier.
    =================

I'm sure your DPS is great, but as Kahless said, "a petaQ with high system mastery is still a petaQ." (Well, he should have said it...!)
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited October 2015
    I've gone over assignment requirements and rarity weights again, and am pretty convinced that this is a combination of poor luck and confirmation bias.

The actual number of Assignments that favor each Stat are:

BALANCED = 18
    ENG = 14
    SCI = 15
    TAC = 13

Furthermore, they can be broken down by rarity as:

BAL-Common: 5
    BAL-Uncommon: 4
    BAL-Rare: 5
    BAL-VeryRare: 4

ENG-Common: 4
    ENG-Uncommon: 3
    ENG-Rare: 3
    ENG-VeryRare: 4

SCI-Common: 5
    SCI-Uncommon: 5
    SCI-Rare: 2
    SCI-VeryRare: 3

TAC-Common: 3
    TAC-Uncommon: 4
    TAC-Rare: 3
    TAC-VeryRare: 3

"Abnormally" high is a bit of an exaggeration, when compared to those figures. In fact, Science has more low-requirement assignments (relatively speaking) than any of the other categories.

I won't deny that there's a ship availability imbalance currently at Tier 6. But we felt it was inappropriate to purposefully reflect that imbalance in this system, in case the situation can be remedied in the future.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    Things seem to be rounding out now, but that was a rough two days with nothing but science assignments. This only happened on my main though. My alts have had more variety.

I hope you guys have some science vessel releases planned for next year. The Roms and KDF really need them.
  • daniela1055daniela1055 Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    I've gone over assignment requirements and rarity weights again, and am pretty convinced that this is a combination of poor luck and confirmation bias.

I'm now at level 5 in FED and KDF Admirality and i often have missions which require e.g. SCI 130 + 75. Please tell me any combination of 3 ships which can bring a whooping 205 SCI... i for myself now have 51 "Ship Cards" on my FED mainchar and there is no way at all to gather that much SCI.​​
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    If anything, it's that Doomsday Machine event (+100 tac) that haunts me. I really wish the Klingons would stop playing with those things, leaving us to clean up their mess...
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2015

BALANCED = 18
    ENG = 14
    SCI = 15
    TAC = 13

"Abnormally" high is a bit of an exaggeration, when compared to those figures. In fact, Science has more low-requirement assignments (relatively speaking) than any of the other categories.

I won't deny that there's a ship availability imbalance currently at Tier 6. But we felt it was inappropriate to purposefully reflect that imbalance in this system, in case the situation can be remedied in the future.

It may be my bad luck, but while I've seen more than once the type of event that require +40 of ENG and SCI at the same time, getting the -X amount events seems way way rarer in comparison. Maybe balance out the events so that beneficial ones appear as often as negative ones?
  • mulgannon2mulgannon2 Member Posts: 14 Arc User

BALANCED = 18
    ENG = 14
    SCI = 15
    TAC = 13

Im sorry its hard to see any balance in this system. All of my missions requires 100+ science, and thats the 3 I can send ships on, and the other 2 waiting are also over 100 Science. In my KDF assignments, its the same thing, all 5 have 100+ science. I am sorry, but I must call you a Liar.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    mulgannon2 wrote: »

BALANCED = 18
    ENG = 14
    SCI = 15
    TAC = 13

Im sorry its hard to see any balance in this system. All of my missions requires 100+ science, and thats the 3 I can send ships on, and the other 2 waiting are also over 100 Science. In my KDF assignments, its the same thing, all 5 have 100+ science. I am sorry, but I must call you a Liar.

Then I shall take it upon myself to say that you don't understand the difference between statistics and individual anecdotes.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Alright, here's something else I've noticed. Events that accompany assignments almost always boosts the stats that are higher in requirements and feel less random. For example, I have an assignment that requires 20 tac, 20 eng, and 50 science? Well, the event attached to it is always one that increases the science stat farther by an extra 20 or so points. In some rare cases by 100!

Also had another streak of science heavy assignments Tuesday and Wednesday along with event boosters. Some crappy luck for me then. :p
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User

Then I shall take it upon myself to say that you don't understand the difference between statistics and individual anecdotes.

"There are three types of untruths in the world - lies, damn lies, and statistics"

--Mark Twain

• abcde123123abcde123123 Member Posts: 342 Arc User

I rarely write in this forums, for the lack of hope of reasonable and contructive discussions, but I'll make an exception.

Sci availability is the main factor for casual players who did not bought Dyson Ship pack. Commonly avialable sci heavy ships are:

Avas - sci 50
    Breen Sarr Than - sci 50
    Nandi - sci 44
    Hanom guardian - sci 40

This is pretty much it.

Another factor is pool of events. Need to mention that somehow I disagree with event system because it offsetts the mission parameters to be initial Eng Tac Sci + (rnd Eng rnd Tac rnd Sci). Adding a huge random factor for the initial parameters, thus adding extra confusion. That rnd factor may offset your distribution analysis as you seem to only count initial stat of the missions without the event factor.

What I start to see on level 4+ of the admiralty is missions (with rnd events) is 100+ 100+ 100+ missions, that given the limited ship availability breeds dissatisfaction.

I do understand that Admiralty is "buy more ships" vehicle, but I think that here balance has been heavily tipped to "bms" direction.

Another point worth mentioning that DOFF system allowed for the players to acquire DOFFs through playing the game, whereas Admiralty is heavily on items only avaiable through Z-Store.

While the XP event is on Admiralty rewards seem to be worth time and effort, but after xp event, it's going to look different.

• welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    I dunno - I feel that Sci-heavy missions (including missions that end up with a "+ x Sci" component) are more prevalent than should be. I agree somewhat with the OP.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • mulgannon2mulgannon2 Member Posts: 14 Arc User

Well then I will bust your bubble. I purposely failed missions for the last 3 days, I only ever got missions with Eng 90+ Tac 60+ and Sci 90+

After 3 days of failing 5 missions a day, and those are the only missions I am getting. I am sorry, but personal experience is saying that this is not a balanced system. My luck is not so bad to get all 15 Sci Dependant Missions over a more of a balanced approach. So either the Dev is lying to us about how it is "Balanced" OR they forgot to upload all the Balanced and Low SCI missions
  • abcde123123abcde123123 Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    Well, this is what I'm seeing at lvl 6. The first one is actually scavenger event +25 to all reqs, which comes down to 200, 115, 115. I got 3 eng ships with eng 60. that's 180. sci on them is around 20. so we're getting 180 ... 60. which is kinda below.

http://imgur.com/gArnm0K

Yeah - there are missions that I see with 200 or so of eng or sci, which I feel have to be trolling. Even with an "ignores X"-card, youre still stuck with a TRIBBLE mission.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • papasezpapasez Member Posts: 55 Arc User

BALANCED = 18
    ENG = 14
    SCI = 15
    TAC = 13

That may be how it was designed but that's not how it's working. No hyperbole, more than 80% of my missions are weighted Sci or have a +Sci event (and only +Sci) that pushes the mission over the edge to be Sci heavy. Given how few Sci ships I (and apparently most people) own, this makes the system an exercise in frustration.

Please don't ignore feedback because you have a spreadsheet that says it should be working in a particular fashion. I've been around long enough to recognise a bad streak vs. an actual bug. I'm not talking a couple days worth of spotty +Sci heavy missions; I'm talking ~80+%, every day since the system went live without any reprieve.

Please consider that some of the anecdotal evidence being presented has some merit. By all means, feel free to dig in to my characters data and see for yourself (provided it show what missions I have been offered) but do me a favor and don't assume I'm just grinding an imaginary axe. I did you the favour of not assuming it was broken because of gross incompetence.​​
    Bort, I have to pipe in and agree with the troupe. This isn't just perception. Initially, I thought it was WAI because you guys wanted to push the sales of Sci Ships, but you're saying that the missions should be even. Well, they are not; the VAST MAJORITY of the ones I see either have high sci or a an event that boosts sci. It's obscene.
    T93uSC8.jpg
    On the Fed side, the problem is not that science is too high (although more ignores +sci science ships would be nice), it's that people's hate of science ships and love of tacs and cruisers has finally caught up to them.
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    Part of the problem is that we seem to be obsessing about having 100% completion. If a mission requires 200 SCI, maybe you aren't *supposed* to be able to have a 100% chance of success. Then your choice is, do you throw your available SCI at it and take a chance on 80%? Or run the mission with a Danube and be happy if you roll '01'?
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User

"There are three types of untruths in the world - lies, damn lies, and statistics"

--Mark Twain

Statistics! :D The third one was both quite funny and all too true.

I just do what I can and skip the rest. If I miss out, then I miss out.
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    hypl wrote: »
    Alright, here's something else I've noticed. Events that accompany assignments almost always boosts the stats that are higher in requirements and feel less random. For example, I have an assignment that requires 20 tac, 20 eng, and 50 science? Well, the event attached to it is always one that increases the science stat farther by an extra 20 or so points. In some rare cases by 100!

Also had another streak of science heavy assignments Tuesday and Wednesday along with event boosters. Some crappy luck for me then. :p

I concur. Not only that I get LOOOONG strings of assignments that have the ultra high sci requirements. I'd say twice or thrice as much as those with high engineering requirements, and four times what I'd see from tac assignments.

I rarely write in this forums, for the lack of hope of reasonable and contructive discussions, but I'll make an exception.

Sci availability is the main factor for casual players who did not bought Dyson Ship pack. Commonly avialable sci heavy ships are:

Avas - sci 50
    Breen Sarr Than - sci 50
    Nandi - sci 44
    Hanom guardian - sci 40

This is pretty much it.

Another factor is pool of events. Need to mention that somehow I disagree with event system because it offsetts the mission parameters to be initial Eng Tac Sci + (rnd Eng rnd Tac rnd Sci). Adding a huge random factor for the initial parameters, thus adding extra confusion. That rnd factor may offset your distribution analysis as you seem to only count initial stat of the missions without the event factor.

What I start to see on level 4+ of the admiralty is missions (with rnd events) is 100+ 100+ 100+ missions, that given the limited ship availability breeds dissatisfaction.

I do understand that Admiralty is "buy more ships" vehicle, but I think that here balance has been heavily tipped to "bms" direction.

Another point worth mentioning that DOFF system allowed for the players to acquire DOFFs through playing the game, whereas Admiralty is heavily on items only avaiable through Z-Store.

While the XP event is on Admiralty rewards seem to be worth time and effort, but after xp event, it's going to look different.

It looks different. There's still payoff (except for the crit rewards) but it's much steadier going on the XP. Not complaining though that was GREAT while it lasted.
    Well, this is what I'm seeing at lvl 6. The first one is actually scavenger event +25 to all reqs, which comes down to 200, 115, 115. I got 3 eng ships with eng 60. that's 180. sci on them is around 20. so we're getting 180 ... 60. which is kinda below.

http://imgur.com/gArnm0K

I feel ya.
    lucho80 wrote: »
    On the Fed side, the problem is not that science is too high (although more ignores +sci science ships would be nice), it's that people's hate of science ships and love of tacs and cruisers has finally caught up to them.

:D I must agree on that, naughty as it may be.

Still even by normal advancement most people aren't cross training their ships. As an engineer I by default stuck to cruisers so I didn't purchase sci leveling ships.

And for the Romulans oh Mother of God, through normal leveling you got the Hanom. That's it. There's little wonder I only fly my Aves now.
    Part of the problem is that we seem to be obsessing about having 100% completion. If a mission requires 200 SCI, maybe you aren't *supposed* to be able to have a 100% chance of success. Then your choice is, do you throw your available SCI at it and take a chance on 80%? Or run the mission with a Danube and be happy if you roll '01'?

Now THAT is an interesting point that I've been considering lately. Because I'm loathe to send ships out even at 95%.

We've been trained by the DOFF system for years now to maximize those success rates. I keep wondering if I'd be able to complete these assignments if I had more tier 6 ships, but looking at it, the numbers this thing is putting together it just never seems like any combination of three ships will get me to 100%. So the concept that we're just supposed to risk it seems to be more logical.

Which is ok in a way, there's no risk unless it's a one time ship of wasting a ship or it getting destroyed. It's just odd.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
    edited November 2015
    Everyone relax. Getting to the max level (10) doesn't take too long. I did it today on both tracks on my main PvP toon. Even on toons where I have a limited amount of ships (Romulans and KDF), I'm advancing at a good pace (level 5 min). The 2K daily bonus pushes things forward so it wont take forever. It's like doffing, just relax, you'll get there, even if it's in January as long as you kick 1 mission per track every day.

The tours are just extra bonuses you get every so often,.
    edited November 2015
    My own personal meta game is to send the fewest amount of ships for the missions when reasonable or the rewards are meh. Often, a Dyson Science destroyer will give you 70% Chance + for success when alone, so I do that often wit success.

That said, even if the missions are semi-equal to be balanced, the events most certainly aren't.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    The thing is though the Fed missions I can barley get 80% with thinking about ships. The Klingon side I just select random ships from the bottom of the list and more often then not that's 80% to 100% complete. Having got to level 10 it appears as though the Fed side is massively unbalanced compared to the Klingon side. Not sure if its the events or missions but I could barely do the fed side while the Klingon side is so easy I don't even think about the ships being used.

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Another few days of missions and almost all Klingon missions are running at around 100%, with a high crit rate the last mission being 77% crit chance. While fed missions are barely 80% pass, 10% crit. How many days does this have to happen before it stops being a combination of poor luck and confirmation bias?

Only on Tour of Duty 6 of 10 but level 8 with Klingons which is massively different to the fed side.
  • carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I agree with the OP, but I want to also say that on my main I'm alsmost done. Fed is finished, and Klingon at level 9.5, and that's with a Romulan character. Maybe I just got lucky? I have also done both Tours at least once.

Alts who have less ships are suffering a little though, hence my agreement with the OP. I wouldn't call it obscene, but there is am imbalance as far as Science heavy assignments go.
    "So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
    I have a fair amount of ships...been playing since open beta, yada yada....

I do notice that KDF-side, there's a lack of STRONG Eng options readily available. Yes, there is the kobali, yada yada...but I'm having to get creative there as well.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • gralerongraleron Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    My observation is that while there may be an even number of missions that bias to even, or one of the three branches, players will quickly see predominantly Science in their Available Assignments.

As there is no periodic reshuffle of Available Assignments, and with Passing being a limited resource, players will do those assignments in the Available Assignment tray that they can do, and leave ones they aren't willing to tackle. As most players have a shortage of Science vessels in their inventory, Science heavy missions are the most likely to pile up.

So, while Borticus' statement is the truth, the reason why people see Available Missions biased to high Science requirements is because the system's design guarantees such logjams.
    Vice Admiral Elaron, USS Hard Light
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    It is to make up for the lack of sci ships.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    Bleh most of assignments it gives can't come near critical unless you dedicate the few science ships you can with admiralty system. On top of that they have now nerfed the xp you get which was something nice a way to level up alts that I didn't want to grind each and every episode to level them not to mention it kind of made the specialization look hopeful but then they did this I just can't see myself doing this anymore.

Is funny though how badly they had nerfed doff xp to try to level characters sometimes its so low I can't tell if the bar has moved at all on the xp bar lol. Although I have a strong suspicion that what they are doing is intended to drive us away from this game so they can go work on some other game. Yeah anyways though the system was badly designed in that KDF has very few science ships and then nerfing the xp on top of that so what exactly is the point of even logging in to play that new content lol. Its like selling parts of your car to buy older ones that are completely useless.