test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Hurricane Patricia--Stay Safe!

gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
edited October 2015 in Ten Forward
I just wanted to give a shout from the US out to any Mexican STO players and let you know that I'm thinking about you now. I hope you'll be careful and stay safe as Hurricane Patricia nears landfall. I haven't forgotten what Mexico did for us after Katrina, and I'll be looking for a way to help after the storm passes.

Also for any US people, please heed any flood warnings when the rains start hitting Texas!

To put it into perspective, Hurricane Patricia may exceed the power of Hurricane Camille and Andrew at landfall, making it the strongest direct hit on land on record. Katrina was devastating for other reasons, having weakened to a Category 3 by the time it hit land.

(PLEASE keep this thread civil. No TOS violations please.)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.

Comments

• Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    The level of damage caused by Katrina was down to the fact that the levee foundations were not deep enough and could not even to withstand a category 1 storm, with hurricanes it's not the wind that does most of the damage it's the storm surge that is most fatal in terms of casualty figures.

The most fatal hurricane in US history was the 1900 Galveston hurricane which virtually wiped most of the city off the map with a heavy loss of life and many more injuries
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
      I can't do much from England but hope fro some freak conditions that cause it dissipate as soon as possible.​​
      22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
      Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
      'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    • Options
      markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      Bleah, I remember Isabel. Didn't like it either.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • Options
      gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
      Blessedly the nastiest part of the storm appears to have hit a sparsely populated area and being a small storm in diameter like Camille, that meant Puerto Vallarta and Manzanillo were able to avoid catastrophic damage. And so far no reports of fatalities. However the flooding threat is far from over and may prove to be the biggest problem. So like I said, if you are in an area that gets a flood warning, be careful!

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
      Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.