test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The One That IS Coming Back - Ground PVP

samaya02samaya02 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
edited December 2015 in PvP Gameplay
How can we get more people involved in ground pvp?
(please don't reply with ground-pvp dislikes - thank you)

We seem to be making a nice comeback in the ground pvp area. Please take the time to try it out (yes, you will die sometimes - you are not playing npc's)
Post edited by samaya02 on

Comments

• Options
    baldguywithacapebaldguywithacape Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    What can we do?

Invite people to come and try it out and see that it can be just as exciting as space PvP.

What can cryptic do?

Create a higher tier rewards system for PvP that is either a reputation system or a weekly rewards system (this can also apply to space PvP).

Unfortunately, the chance that Cryptic reads this post without calling it an "Echo Chamber" is next to nil.
  • Options
    xiesha911xiesha911 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    "How can we get more people involved in ground pvp?"

I was playing (pug) GPvP regularly not long ago (for kill accolade)...
    And i will not play (pug) it again...

1. Very... VERY, very long time to wait for queue popup.
    2. GPvP even more broken than SPvP...

+ There are the same few ppl playing it, and when you pug there are 99% chance to face those cheese tac captains premade which using all broken/op garbage... like ground kemo - "photonic overcharge" which deal + 70-80% radiation dmg instead of 15%...
    Also almost in every match you will face Elachi garbage rift... it's just not fun.
  • Options
    The people you are discussing we know of and are only one fleet. Only one fleet in the entire game premades, and the majority of us do not use Elachi Rift (even so, the mental discipline trait clears the hold from it). Also, the damage is still 15% for photonic overcharge, HOWEVER, the broken part of it is that it does 15% of the buffed version of the full damage. For example, let's say you are using a pulsewave with exactly 100 damage (because it's easy for me to math :smile: ) and you are using an ambush buff which gives an additional 150% damage in a shot and battle strategies which gives 50% bonus damage. When you use both these buffs, what it does is use 100 + (100 X 150%) + (100 X 50%), which in the end will get you a total of 300 damage, or 100 + 150 + 50 = 300. However, if we were to switch let's say battle strategies with photonic overcharge and assume it is the same modifier of 50% bonus damage, the damage is instead (total) (100 + (100 X 150%)) X 150%, which in the end you are actually getting 375 damage. The other advantage is that many people don't have the right equipment for radiation resists. Now of course, it's only 15% and it would actually be less in this case, but the more damage buffs you use the higher it is in comparison to the stacking of regular damage buffs. That's what makes it op, and to counter I recommend Iconian rep tier 3 trait that has Phase Screen. Also, the fact that this ability is op isn't any player's fault, but whoever designed it. People can only be blamed for using it without cause.

Other than that, sorry, we can't control that one fleet that you mentioned. We're working on it, but they refuse to solo queue. Absent them though, you shouldn't generalize. Not all of us are tac mains who only use these abilities and only queue with 2 or more people. Quite frankly, we're not all that bad.

• Options
    klingontacoklingontaco Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    Whoa flo. You still play sto? Do people still gpvp? Do you have to do lots and lots of farming? What GPVP fleets are active?
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I want the old forums. Serious answer you can convince old GPVPers to return. that has problems of its own though. You might not like the people that come back.

In all honesty a lot of smart people did a lot of different things to save pvp, but unfortunately it died.

Primary reason a lot of people left was grind... We want to pvp not pve. I used to spend 8 hours grinding to pvp for one hour.

Other problem is the bad fleet problem. A lot of people didn't want to play by any set of rules.

If the grind and the fleet problem can be solved. Old people will return good or bad I don't know. Also new people will come.

Although are the mechanics still broken? Because if they are as broken as when I left well, no matter what you do pvp will stay dead.
  • Options
    Hi how ya doin, I'm back.
    I take breaks from this game when a new expansion comes out. Usually the worst time to play because they add new abilities that are broken and if we talk about it cryptic goes "echo chamber". However, in the middle or the end of an expansion, they fix 1-2 of the 10 problems (the approximately 7.5% subnuke chance every 1 second and a little bit to the concussive tachyon emission) which makes things a little better. I would name 8 other problems (for ground alone) that I could list but somehow I think there is another forum thread that covers it (Tira's). Once the new expansion comes out I'll probably just play the beta of battlefront all day or something. Oh, and for EXP grinding, I found the best way to level up is to just come on for 5 minutes a day and select 20 doff missions. Episodes aren't worth the time. But seriously, the players can be a problem but I would only credit at most 15% of the problem to them.
  • Options
    I wouldn't even say players are 15% maybe 10%. Ground pvp was pretty good after the cryo fix even with those two fleets being there. I think you know the ones I mean. I would say probably the primary reason that pvp is dead is because it never made it on the list of things to work on. It was ignored. Then they added junk that looked like it was meant for pvp cause it was so ridiculous. I would give the others and what I think can be done about it but all I have to say a lot of people have already said. A lot.
  • Options
    samaya02samaya02 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Hmmm... it seems a certain "fleet", bad mechanics and the "reward system" are the downsides of ground pvp.
    Upsides - fun, challenging, no NPC's, new mechanics to grasp, meet more than 4 people at a time, something new for all the post Delta gear to do, it's the "other half" of a game we all play, use more of your gear more often instead of it sitting in the bank, feel free to add to the list... :smile:
  • Options
    falklander1989falklander1989 Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Hmm i thought ground pvp is completly dead,i guess i was mistaken.So what is that about certain bad fleet now,are germans back,or maybe fs or even fes come back from dead?Or Biggs finally put together his own evil premade lol.
  • Options
    biggs4everbiggs4ever Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    For the most part gpvp is dead. Since I have no reservations about naming and shaming since the consequences are pretty much meaningless I will give you the lay of the land. No only 3 not 5 of the fs are the ones using heavy cheese and causing problems for random pugs. Tami, cuddles, and Vanessa (sophia) are the ones mentioned above. They intentionally drop their 3 man premade from the q's if another premade q's up out of fear. As usual Tami and cuddles are too scared to fight me and back out of private matches I send them. Vanessa did accept one match over a month ago and this screenshot was the result. Now she backs out of every match I send her :)

http://s27.photobucket.com/user/BossmanBiggs/media/Ground Pvp/screenshot_2015-08-28-15-57-44_zpsevb5d2wm.jpg.html?o=4

Basically tacts are op again via a combo of virtually any strategic, intel, or graviton spike assault dps boosting modules. They have a level of dps nothing can tank let alone from one tact nevermind that most matches are tact heavy. Sci's are playable still but only teamed with the right tacts. Engy's well just don't bother LOL. Btw falk If I ever had a premade rolling through the q's it would only be to combat dipshit premades like this 3 man fs. I wouldn't go around having my guys cheesestomp random pugs like Tami does. I have a lot higher standard then him LMFAO. I rarely play anymore due to work. Unlike Tami who sits around and collects disability checks from his mother's house I have a full time/overtime job and an actual life. So hopefully on my one or two days off I can be around when someone decides they want to hard camp these 3 fs into submission. I am more than willing and game to do so.
  • Options
    falklander1989falklander1989 Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    Cant say im surprised about those 3.Anyway i tried several times to come back to this game but i quit after half hour of leveling every time,all those grinding and then nothing to do when you finish.I even got some comeback reward from cryptic,instant level from 50 to 60th but still cant make myself to play again. :/
  • Options
    From a gpvp standpoint right now there is no motivation to come back so you are right to stay away. A few of us were working hard to rebuild it and even managed to drag a few newbies in for awhile. The op in this thread was one we dragged in. But as usual craptic caught up with us again which is why those 3 fs take advantage knowing no 3 man premade is around to challenge them. ;) Grinding has gotten a bit easier if you just focus on one maybe 2 toons. In general for ground pvp all you would need to grind is 13 out 15 commando tree and 26 out of 30 intel tree. Command tree is nice for a sci however which is why I didn't grind intel on it.

This next one is gonna blow your mind. This current lockbox has p2w style doff assignments that can be bought and sold freely as well. At level 60 they give off 18k skill points non crit and 36k skill points crit and can never fail. They have a 4 hour duration and if you use all purple doffs odds are heavy you will crit on 4 out of the 10 that exist every 4 hours. Next week we will have a bonus skill point event from this galactic restoration event and there is another event scheduled for 3rd week of November on calendar. The doff assignments would also get boosted by that. If you do comeback I will make this simple. Make a ground tac cat and focus on it. Don't even think about space pvp lol. But again don't expect much gpvp at level 60 until enough of us comeback to kick Fs out again. I would just get this toon ready during these bonus times and maybe something good will happen in 2016. Follow the grinding path I laid out save some story missions to turn in during skill bonus events and if you have ec's invest in those doff assigments. If you need help I have a fully grinded tact and sci that doesn't need a thing and even my engy which I won't play has half an intel tree grinded already anyway. Basically I have a few hundred million and nothing to blow it on. If you are committed to rebuilding one toon I can help get you going again. You can even do enough space pve at level 60 as long as you have mk 14 weapons and tact consoles nothing too expensive actually.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Burn it all and begin again.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Burn it all and begin again.

Well since that will not happen you basically have to grind have all the cheese options handy play fair until someone pulls their cheese filled c-c- out. If people start premading then premade back. Sadly this is the only kind of gpvp that will ever exist again. But in all fairness if I can do it you can do it too. You just have to have the right allies to combat the F TRIBBLE factor.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    What can we do?

Invite people to come and try it out and see that it can be just as exciting as space PvP.

What can cryptic do?

Create a higher tier rewards system for PvP that is either a reputation system or a weekly rewards system (this can also apply to space PvP).

Unfortunately, the chance that Cryptic reads this post without calling it an "Echo Chamber" is next to nil.

I think the problem is not Cryptic not listening, or no one at cryptic being able to come up with PvP ideas. At least not at this point anymore.

The problem is Cryptic can only do so many things in any given time. And they will try to pick the one that will bring the most money - be it by attracing new players, retaining old ones, selling stuff directly, whatever. And Cryptic has left PvP undeveloped for years now, and the people actively playing PvP will have gone down accordingly. Sure, they could hope that everyone that has left comes back, and tons of new players will also join a great, new PvP experience. But... That's definitely not a safe bet. They can't really, in good conscience, do something like that, if there are much safer bets, since the money is not just there for their Chinese overlord to swim in, it's the livelihood of dozens of developers, designers and what not.

So what can we do? Probably nothing, at least nothing practical. I mean, if you could somehow show that PvP (Ground or space) expansion is a safe bet, fine, but I don't think anyone can do that.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    I see your point, however if you check the Z-store (C-store Z-store whatever), you will notice the overabundance of ground items. In case you didn't notice, that was sarcastic. This is not even specific to PvP players, but if they were to add specialized zen weapons with special PvP perks, I assure you, people would buy that stuff and try it out. Also with that "safe bet", they have no reason not to use these things. You wouldn't believe how many times I've gone into a PvE Q and 1 shotted the boss while other people are struggling to take out something like a heavy tactical drone or something. There is no reason for them not to give us a balanced game. Even for PvE hard-core treckies, I believe they would feel more rewarded with completing something that is more challenging (probably gain a large dose of dopamine) by either giving us balance or making it more challenging. The change in balance for PvP could be mildly more difficult (could be more to develop something with the right challenge level) but if they were to do that it could solve for both PvP and PvE. That is a safe bet in my mind.
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    What can we do?

What can cryptic do?

I dunno...certain powers like Graviton Spike are pretty much one shotters. People complain that PvP is dead, but my experience is either just gankers. Some people are cool, but others just dont care and spawncamp with a Graviton Spike combo.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    Graviton Spike may seem like the only way to go at this point, however, I have found a mildly more economic version. If you use some of the less-well-known intel models, such as the particle friction grenade and sonic suppression (paired with trajectory bending), you can bring somebody's resists down so low that you don't need grav spike anymore. Oh, and kinetic resists simply can counter it if you need to.
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    Graviton Spike may seem like the only way to go at this point, however, I have found a mildly more economic version. If you use some of the less-well-known intel models, such as the particle friction grenade and sonic suppression (paired with trajectory bending), you can bring somebody's resists down so low that you don't need grav spike anymore. Oh, and kinetic resists simply can counter it if you need to.

If youre talking about Grav Spike, honestly in the hand of a tac, its 90% of the time a one-shotter regardless of your resistances. I have survived it by dumb luck but my health has been so low after that its pretty much a non-starter. Cryptic math is more damaging to resistances than it is to buffs.

Just make some of these ridiculous powers do 1/2 damage against human players and it would help a lot.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options

If youre talking about Grav Spike, honestly in the hand of a tac, its 90% of the time a one-shotter regardless of your resistances. I have survived it by dumb luck but my health has been so low after that its pretty much a non-starter. Cryptic math is more damaging to resistances than it is to buffs.

Just make some of these ridiculous powers do 1/2 damage against human players and it would help a lot.

I hate to be the bringer of bad news but if you are getting one shot by grav spike 90 percent of the time you are doing something horribly wrong build and counter wise. pm me in game and I will guide you to the proper gear traits and even buff up and grav spike you for practice. You will learn how to survive it. mail me in game @biggs4ever
  • Options
    Just FYI, grav spike you can survive with resists, however, think about this. Take your resists, and remove 30% of it (I don't mean that if you have 60% you now have 30%, I mean if you have 300 you now have 210). Now, subtract 314 from your resists. That's how much this thing can do, putting you in negative damage resists. You can 1 shot anybody with most any weapon this way. Oh, also you get 105% shield pen with all weapons. So yeah. Grav spike can be... outdated.