test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

BOFF of Different Factions on Rom Ship

otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
When a FED or Klingon are crewmembers on a Rom ship they should be ables to wear ROM clothing, especially the Android or Photonic Engineer as they can be made to look Romulan or Reman. Also why doesn't the Romulan Republic have their own Android?
Fleet Admiral Stephen

Comments

• seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    'Cause the romulans are the third wheel and cryptic has no intrest in changing that.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    'Cause the romulans are the third wheel and cryptic has no intrest in changing that.
    brutal but true
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    Since when does assisting another faction mean you wear their uniforms? Riker didn't don a Klingon uniform when he was temporarily with them...Kurn didn't throw on a Starfleet uniform when he was on the Enterprise did he?
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Since when does assisting another faction mean you wear their uniforms? Riker didn't don a Klingon uniform when he was temporarily with them...Kurn didn't throw on a Starfleet uniform when he was on the Enterprise did he?
    that was star trek.... this is cryptic
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    I don't have any citizens of foreign powers on my ships. I have Klingons, Orions, Vulcans, Andorians, etc, but EVERY ONE OF THEM HAS SWORN ALLEGIANCE TO THE REPUBLIC or they wouldn't be on my ship! If they want to wear their old uniforms, eh. I make them take the KDF/Starfleet badges off and put on a "Temba, His Arms Wide" badge or TOS Dress Uniform medals (where possible, and where not, they still lose the Starfleet/KDF badges).
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Let me tell you a story. I'm from a Navy family. From 1989 to 1993 we lived in Sydney, Australia because my father landed a (totally awesome) assignment as an exchange officer with the Royal Australian Navy. However, just because he was working with the Aussies didn't make him any less a US Navy officer: he still wore a USN uniform on duty.

What has that to do with this thread? Cryptic's story justification for the diplomacy boffs, Romulan embassy boffs, and yes, Romulans getting access to boffs of their ally is that they're all exchange officers taking a tour with a foreign government. Just like Riker wore a Starfleet uniform with the KDF.

Believe it or not, Cryptic got that one RIGHT.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    Let me tell you a story. I'm from a Navy family. From 1989 to 1993 we lived in Sydney, Australia because my father landed a (totally awesome) assignment as an exchange officer with the Royal Australian Navy. However, just because he was working with the Aussies didn't make him any less a US Navy officer: he still wore a USN uniform on duty.

What has that to do with this thread? Cryptic's story justification for the diplomacy boffs, Romulan embassy boffs, and yes, Romulans getting access to boffs of their ally is that they're all exchange officers taking a tour with a foreign government. Just like Riker wore a Starfleet uniform with the KDF.

Believe it or not, Cryptic got that one RIGHT.

Yeah, and that's all fine, but my crew is RRF only, so any BOffs I have, regardless of where they came from, have taken service in the RRF, and thus become citizens of the Republic. na hru'Phi'Tlarum Mol'Rihanai would not be likely to allow foreign nationals to serve on her flagship after all, what with all the sensitive information coming in, going out, and stored on the ship's computers.
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    Thanks, Starsword for that cool story about your dad, it sounds like it was a great experience!

As you say, home faction uniforms for exchange officers make sense, and have precedent. So I don't mind the others quite so much. My original Romulan's KDF alliance "liaison" officer was an Orion Slave Girl, and she served as a secondary Engineer for my landing party until I got a second good Romulan ground Engineer BOFF. But what really irks me is the Photonic BOFF.

Seriously, we can sling Delta Recruits, information, and objects THROUGH TIME, but we can't update our hologram's graphics?!? We can build fleets of starships, beam people into energy and then correctly reassemble them elsewhere, make food and hi-tech items out of energy, travel to parallel universes, and send entire ships through time, but we can't draw a new JPEG, apparently.

Someone please install GIMP, Paint or Photoshop on my ship's computer.

Seriously, Cryptic. Please remove all customization restrictions on the holograms. They're just silly and indefensible.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    vorwoda wrote: »
    Thanks, Starsword for that cool story about your dad, it sounds like it was a great experience!

As you say, home faction uniforms for exchange officers make sense, and have precedent. So I don't mind the others quite so much. My original Romulan's KDF alliance "liaison" officer was an Orion Slave Girl, and she served as a secondary Engineer for my landing party until I got a second good Romulan ground Engineer BOFF. But what really irks me is the Photonic BOFF.

Seriously, we can sling Delta Recruits, information, and objects THROUGH TIME, but we can't update our hologram's graphics?!? We can build fleets of starships, beam people into energy and then correctly reassemble them elsewhere, make food and hi-tech items out of energy, travel to parallel universes, and send entire ships through time, but we can't draw a new JPEG, apparently.

Someone please install GIMP, Paint or Photoshop on my ship's computer.

Seriously, Cryptic. Please remove all customization restrictions on the holograms. They're just silly and indefensible.

RP notwithstanding, the hologram boff and the diplomacy/marauding boffs are where the exchange officer explanation falls down. You mentioned the photonic already, but the issue with the diplomacy/marauding boffs is they were available when the Klingons and Feds were still in a declared state of war with each other. I rather doubt there were any officer exchanges happening, ergo they should logically be defectors from the other side, ergo they shouldn't be wearing factional uniform.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
    RP notwithstanding, the hologram boff and the diplomacy/marauding boffs are where the exchange officer explanation falls down. You mentioned the photonic already, but the issue with the diplomacy/marauding boffs is they were available when the Klingons and Feds were still in a declared state of war with each other. I rather doubt there were any officer exchanges happening, ergo they should logically be defectors from the other side, ergo they shouldn't be wearing factional uniform.[/quote]

The Engineering Photonic BOFF and the Android BOFF can both be made to look Romulan or Reman so why not let them wear Rommie Cloths?

Fleet Admiral Stephen
  • guthrie65guthrie65 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    I'm working on (or will continue to, once my pc is resurrected or a new one takes its place) making the whole crew of one of my Roms entirely Romulan. No new oath of allegiance required (or desired).

This is an old school character and crew that, through a situation of stasis, came from the 23rd century to the current STO point in time (with an alternative of being from an alternate timeline entirely).

Secretly, he only aligns with the Republic/Federation to regain his bearings and to learn everything behind the drastic changes that resulted in the destruction of Romulus and the effective end of the Star Empire he pledged his life to in service. On the way, he and his crew are getting up to speed in equipment and advancements.

He still doesn't accept this as anything other than an alternate reality. Few know the details of who he originally was or where he came from.

Some character backgrounds take a bit more time and effort to be well reflected in game.
    Post edited by guthrie65 on
    Banner_zpshzeetjy7.png
  • otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
    The only costume that is remotely Romulan that I can use would be the winter jacket black or rustler.
    Fleet Admiral Stephen