test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Combat at Warp

deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
Okay, Enterprise shows us how small the warp field is. It's pretty small and it takes a lot of energy to double it.

The manuals say torpedoes can have a micro warp drive on them to allow for bursts at warp speed, meaning it's possible to use torpedoes in warp speed combats.

So, how does energy beams leave a warp bubble, maintain its speed (which is way faster than light) and enter another warp bubble to inflict damage? Objects without warp drive have been seen leaving the bubble and instantly dropping to sublight speeds. It is suggested that without protection it is fatal to leave the warp bubble... radiation, G forces, whatever. so shouldn't the beams, once it leaves the bubble, immediately transit to sublight? Forward firing ships would immediately be struck by their own beams.

Comments

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    The beams are travelling faster than light.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    no they're not. See, the ship inside a warp bubble is not moving faster than light. It's the bubble that's moving faster than light.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    The warp bubble may be the way to make a ship travel faster than light, but it could be possible to transmit beams of energy faster without a warp bubble.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    admiralnatadmiralnat Member Posts: 22,432 Arc User
    Star Trek Into Darkness suggests that firing weapons at warp isn't a problem...
    USS_Vengeance_fires_on_the_USS_Enterprise.jpg
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.
    It's what I do. It's what I just did. It's what I'm about to do again. It's being undisputed emperor of an empire that cannot be disproved as the most powerful intergalactic empire in the entire universe; I always win, and everything I've won will definitely be won again... by me. It's my signature move, and thus, it's my signature. Problem, Sonic? Yeah, I mean you, Sonic, because you're being beat up, despite your being super. You can't even hit Shadow back, can you? Nope, he's too strong for you. Of course, I'm not Shadow, I'm the Super Emerald fueled fox that's pulling the strings; trust me, the fight would only be a few frames long if I were in it personally. Oh, and here's something for all you guys thinking you can win Last Post Wins 3.0; trust me, I'll be around a long while after the sun has already consumed the Earth while I sit out with the forum servers on Titan. Yes, I mean Titan... that comparatively little moon orbiting Saturn. It's a nice little place in a version of our solar system where the sun is a lot bigger. I mean, Mars will last longer than your precious Earth, but by then, it'll be one hot planet... and I figure Saturn's moon will be about the right temperate for a super-powered warlord. Oh, and trust me, I packed a lot of rings, and I mean a lot. Trillions, in fact, so I'll never run out of rings to power my super form. Besides, if I start to run out, I can just chaos control more rings into my reach. It's quite easy, really. You should try it. Granted, you'll never have the 7 Super Emeralds that I have in my possession, nor the Master Emerald that I've got hidden away somewhere... absorbed into my body thanks to Sonic logic, but whatever. I win. Again. I'm not kidding, either. Just check Last Post Wins, and if the last post isn't mine, it soon will be. Very, very soon. You can count on it. Seriously. By the way, if you're wondering, there's a really great Super Tails sprite sheet out there... somewhere... by some guy named shadow_91. These sprites are really great. Like, really good. Quality. Just like what I like to see in a sprite sheet. Also, credit to Joe T.E., his Sonic Battle style Super Sonic sprites have a great palette for a Super Sonic being beat up by Super Shadow, who's palette is from a Super Shadow sheet of unknown origin, but it turns out they were "borrowed" from a better sheet made by a certain Domenico. Oh, and the gif is actually a custom made super version of a similar gif, of which there are only 3 or 4 copies to be found by Google, and even then, evidently of an unknown source. Yep, it's one of those things. Stuff people have made, spread around, only for it to vanish and you to be the only person who still has a copy, not even knowing where it came from... like, literally at all. Oh, and anyone notice that Shadow's little chaos snap blast thingies are red and blue now? Yeah, I changed it. Problem, fans of purple? Yeah, I know you got a problem with that one, but you can just deal with it. After all, according to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly... alright, alright, I'll spare you the entire Bee Movie script, just Google it if you want. By the way, ever wonder how your characters would've ended up if they evolved in another universe? Yeah, that. Think about it. Ok, so you probably didn't bother reading up to here, but whatever, here's a surprise for you guys over at ESD (RP) who were crazy enough to read this: Emperor Nat of the mcfreakin' Terran Empire is gonna be right all along! The universe is gonna go BOOM! *Thumbs up to the insanity*
    Oh, now don't tell me you want in on all this! Well, ok. Look this that Egg Pawn hanging outside your window, pointing his laser rifle at you, waiting for my next order. He's doing his part. He helps conquer the weak-minded. He roboticizes the weak-bodied. Heck, he even helps keep the useless people from causing any trouble, but you know what? Join. Find the closest Nataran Empire roboticization center near you and join the ranks, before the ranks find you. Oh, I know, you figure it must be so satisfying to know I basically rule the world now, and you know what? It is, but do you want to know the true definition of satisfaction? Well, let me tell you a little story. One day, you see a brand new event. They're giving out boxes that give old event stuff. Your dilithium is plentiful. You buy a whole lot of Phoenix packs on your main, and open them all. You get one epic token. Then, you decide, that since you have all the Breen ships and don't give a damn about the others, you exchange it for an ultra rare, and grab yourself a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and for the hell of it, a Voth Bulwark. You open both, leaving the Bulwark in your vast masses of starships as you jump into the bugship and deck it out, deck by deck, into the most awesome Jem'Hadar ship you can. You fly it. You enjoy it. Eventually, you get bored and leave, leaving the old Bulwark never flown... until later. Your main is long complete. Your new alt main, based off some character you pulled out of nothing just to explain away some starship being in service without the command of your dear admiral, is also complete. Mostly. Their reps and doffs are hard at work, getting you stuff. You realize the potential, and head back for your dear admiral, pull the most Voth themed build you can out of thin air, and suit up in your giant ship in the shape of you know what. You head out... and cause all sorts of havoc. Enemies scream out your name as their very life is drained away by your swarms of Aceton Assimilators. They complain to the devs of your OPness when you revive yourself from death every time you die. Do you show any form of mercy? No. After all, this isn't the United Federation of Planets, this is mother frakkin' Starfleet, where you explore strange new worlds and kick butt never kicked before. Oh, and you realize that I just wrote another speech rivaling your own signature. Cool. Oh, wait, that's just the original draft, it is part of my signature now. Oh, and yes, I am aware that I have become a Canadian Regent; one day, sooner than you'd expect, we'll suddenly decide to take over the world and declare an "alliance", and I shall become it's Regent. You know, like the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance in the mirror universe of our beloved Star Trek. Oh, who'll we be taking over with? I dunno, maybe [REDACTED], or maybe aliens from outer space. Guess you'll have to wait and find out, won't we? Until then, don't ask too many questions, or else my Breen allies on Titania might pick up on your -- [REDACTED BY BREEN CONFEDERACY FOR REASONS] Also, psst... keep an eye out for flying Tribbles! Also walls. Big, great walls, separating entire continents apart. Walls patrolled by Tribbles. Flying Tribbles. Flying Nukara Tribbles. Don't worry, it's not like they were on Venus with a herd of Tholians or anything, they just like the extreme heat and brutal weather like acid rain and hurricane force winds as the norm. Oh, and definitely keep your eye out on any two-tailed foxes, because if they ain't glowing, they're definitely an imposter. Possibly an Undine, we caught one of those once in my place once. Oh, and if you find a two-tailed fox that doesn't like the cold... most certainly ask him to say sorry. If he refuses, DESTROY HIM WITH A DOOMSDAY MACHINE, BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE THAT WOULD BE ENOUGH AGAINST SUCH AN OVERPOWERED IMPOSTER!

tr;dr, I am winning last post wins 3.0. Thank you for your time.
    Oh, look, an explosion...
  • Options
    k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    So, how does energy beams leave a warp bubble, maintain its speed (which is way faster than light) and enter another warp bubble to inflict damage?
    A very easy-to-understand reason

they don't.
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    TNG we only ever saw torpedoes used in warp combat - TOS did use phasers, but combat at warp was for more commonplace, it's generally at sublight in the TNG era.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    rooster707rooster707 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    admiralnat wrote: »
    Star Trek Into Darkness suggests that firing weapons at warp isn't a problem...
    USS_Vengeance_fires_on_the_USS_Enterprise.jpg

Whether it makes sense or not, that was AWESOME.
    76561198032353876.png
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Okay, Enterprise shows us how small the warp field is. It's pretty small and it takes a lot of energy to double it.

The manuals say torpedoes can have a micro warp drive on them to allow for bursts at warp speed, meaning it's possible to use torpedoes in warp speed combats.

So, how does energy beams leave a warp bubble, maintain its speed (which is way faster than light) and enter another warp bubble to inflict damage? Objects without warp drive have been seen leaving the bubble and instantly dropping to sublight speeds. It is suggested that without protection it is fatal to leave the warp bubble... radiation, G forces, whatever. so shouldn't the beams, once it leaves the bubble, immediately transit to sublight? Forward firing ships would immediately be struck by their own beams.

<insert technobabble explanation here>
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,371 Arc User
    Phaser and disruptor beams travel at the speed of writing, so as to make space combat look exciting.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    that's what I thought, thanks Jonsills LOL
  • Options
    bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    You can achieve that by diverting more power to the phase decouplers and rearranging the deflector dish so you are in the same quantum resonance frequency.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I think it was for a long time heavily implied or even mentioned on the show that phasers at warp don't work.
    Star Trek as a whole isn't consistent here, however - TOS combat was apparently often done at warp, but then, the only special effect they could afford for most combats was the increased background noise from the warp drive and a lot of camera shaking, so they didn'T need to show it. TNG had combat at visual ranges with speeds more appropriate for naval ships (and perhaps planes) than space ships, but the background lore stated ranges of 300,000 km for phasers and high sublight speeds possible for maneuvering. So everything we hear, see and read must be taken with a grain of salt.

Still, if I had to pick something, whenever they start shooting phasers at warp without being in each other's warp bubble* - they found a way to allow a phaser shot to maintain a short-lived warp bubble so it could reach the other ship.

*) The Into Darkness Scene might actually be explained by that - the two ships are so close that their warp bubbles merge.​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Is it possible the warp bubble around the ship distends outward along the axis of the beam being fired until it contacts the warp bubble around the target?
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    Is it possible the warp bubble around the ship distends outward along the axis of the beam being fired until it contacts the warp bubble around the target?

Yes, I think this is the reason on-screen
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
  • Options
    well, if that's the reason, then fighting at warp speeds would take a lot of power... more power to fire the beams than at sublight
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    I was guessing in my previous post. It does explain some things, though.

If the warp bubbles are not in sync (At the same speed or tuned to the same frequencies) wouldn't this have an effect on damage output? As to the power output, the writers of all the series made it seem it takes nearly all the output of the warp core just to move the ship at warp. An antimatter warp core probably should put out an enormous amount of energy. In her novel Dark Mirror, Diane Duane has Geordi LaForge and Commander Hwii tell Captain Picard they have the warp core performing at 115% and then equate this figure to 1,500 terawatts. In the same novel, the inclusion device by which the Mirror Universe Ent-D pulled 'our' Ent-D across uses 800 terawatts again according to Geordi. I know, I know. 'Soft Canon' and all that.

So fighting at warp speeds would be an inefficient use of energy. Seems to me fighting at warp speeds would be all about knocking your enemy out of warp. Once they are sublight in normal space, you'd have more than enough energy to power the weapons and the shields and life support and emergency force fields and...

Dropping out of warp probably is one of those things where a Captain would want to gradually shed excess speed and energy. Or at least have a way to shunt it to where it did not break somethng. Having an enemy shoot the ship out of warp would probably lead to an uncontrolled exit which would damage the control systems and surfaces.

Fighting at warp would probably also entail having some very sophisticated Threat Vessel predictive subroutines in the fire control and defense computers. All in all, it seems to me this is probably a situation which is mostly avoided.

But I could be all wrong anyways. One of the nicer things about these sorts of specualtion threads is there is no one correct answer. Thanks, OP. My brain is engaged fully on this and I've now wasted the pefectly good beer buzz I was working on earlier, lol.

A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    well, if that's the reason, then fighting at warp speeds would take a lot of power... more power to fire the beams than at sublight

Precisely why it isn't very common.
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    I think that this might work in a similar way to subspace radio. In subspace radio, the radio signal is emitted within a subspace layer and it gradually "surfaces" (i.e. moves into subspace layers closer to "normal" space, thus slowing down) as its energy is expended traveling through subspace (like a moving electromagnetic charge loses energy moving through a field). This is why you can have near-real-time communications across several hundred light years (average millions of times lightspeed), yet it supposedly would take 70 years for a signal to travel from the Enterprise-D in the Triangulum Galaxy to reach the Federation in "Where No One Has Gone Before" (average 40k lightspeed).

Anyway, if a similar phenomenon applies to the shots from energy weapons, then the shot will travel a distance at warp speed within subspace, slowing down and losing energy as it travels until it reaches its maximum range. If you can tune it to emerge into normal space at the desired range, and if your sensors can give you accurate real-time data on the range to your target, then you can tune the shots to emerge into normal space at the point where they would impact within your target's shields.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,989 Arc User
    We did see Voyager using phasers at warp on several occasions
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius