test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I'm just saying, gotta get it off my chest....Lockbox abilitys

No matter what game your playing. P2P,F2P,P2W absolutly no matter what. Character abilitys should never have to be paid for in any shape or form. I couldn't imagine hitting level 60 on my hunter in wow and something popping up that says I need to pay to get chimera shot. Its unthinkable.

Only when a game is on its very last legs (not even then really) should it try desperately to scrap as much money as possible to try and stay alive. TBH I have that fear with this last money grab with character abilitys. I just find it hard to believe that greed and greed alone has prompted this. I know with F2P games in order to keep revenue coming in they always have to one-up thier last money grab in order to get people to spend money but this ability move was like a 10-up. Now that cryptic has put a price on character progression where does this lead us. I can't possible think of anything else in that game that can be monotized. So I guess the next move is to just raise the price on everything.

Before I get the inevitable doom response. I want ppl to know I have 5 characters and ALL of them have multiple copies of Kemocite 1,2 and 3, subspace vortex and Structural Integrity Collapse. You would think that Kemo is the most popular but I believe SIC maybe becasue slotting 3 Emergency power to "subsystem" is a waste. For ppl who still use a2b it is a must because of that 3rd enginnering slot that needs field. Well thats my 2 cents on the new abilitys. I am not against us having new abilitys, as a matter of fact. I hope cryptic gives us many many more. I am against the was that they are being distributed to us. For ppl who can't afford to open thier wallets its a direct way to lessen thier gaming experiance. I mean, whos gonna play a game where they can't get new abilitys for thier character or even worse. Have to grind out weeks worth of dilithium for a "CHANCE"!!! Thats right, a chance at getting a ability for thier character that they should get for free or as a mission reward. Now if cryptic would put those abilitys in mission rewards that would be great and a fitting way to upgrade your character.

Am I wrong about this. Should I not feel this way about the new abilitys. Do you think this is the straw that broke the camels back or do you just not give a TRIBBLE. For me IMO, I hate it. By them being in lock boxes the game goes a extra step at destroying the idea of a equal playing field for everyone. Truth is not everyone has the money to throw away on lockboxes. I hate it, I just hate it. Anyways have fun and hopefully I will see you ingame.

P.S. I probably, over the last few weeks anyways have opened at least 200 lockboxes. I've gotten 2 Kemocites 3, 1 Kemocite 2, 6 Kemocite 1s and I don't know how many vortexs 1,2,3 and SIC 1,2 and 3. Bunches of those. But get this. I have not got any xindi-insectoid Olaen ships, not 1. Is that bad luck or what. Thats ok though. I didn't really want the ship anyways. I wanted the Kemos.

Comments

• Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    You don't have to pay for anything in this game. Money is only a shortcut. Decide which is more important, money or time, You can't have everything handed to you or the game wouldn't function. I'm tired of answering these whiny entitled forum posts like this so I'm bowing out now before it becomes a flame fest.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    samt1996 wrote: »
    You don't have to pay for anything in this game. Money is only a shortcut. Decide which is more important, money or time, You can't have everything handed to you or the game wouldn't function. I'm tired of answering these whiny entitled forum posts like this so I'm bowing out now before it becomes a flame fest.

Exactly. You can grind EC and buy keys off the exchange. You can grind dil and convert to zen.

Besides, getting a trait or skill will make a small difference but that only mattets for PUG PVP or reaching #1 on some DPS leaderboard. In which case you'd better also be a Rom Tac captain with a cookie-cutter Scim build.
    Only when a game is on its very last legs (not even then really) should it try desperately to scrap as much money as possible to try and stay alive.

The game is fine, no DOOOOMMMMM !!!!! found.
    P.S. I probably, over the last few weeks anyways have opened at least 200 lockboxes. I've gotten 2 Kemocites 3, 1 Kemocite 2, 6 Kemocite 1s and I don't know how many vortexs 1,2,3 and SIC 1,2 and 3. Bunches of those. But get this. I have not got any xindi-insectoid Olaen ships, not 1. Is that bad luck or what. Thats ok though. I didn't really want the ship anyways. I wanted the Kemos.

The 1/250 odds I've seen for other lockbox ships means that before you start to open 200 boxes there is a 44% chance of getting 0 ships. (1 - .004) ^ 200.
  • Options
    sdkraustsdkraust Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited September 2015

Exactly. You can grind EC and buy keys off the exchange. You can grind dil and convert to zen.

Besides, getting a trait or skill will make a small difference but that only mattets for PUG PVP or reaching #1 on some DPS leaderboard. In which case you'd better also be a Rom Tac captain with a cookie-cutter Scim build.
    Only when a game is on its very last legs (not even then really) should it try desperately to scrap as much money as possible to try and stay alive.

The 1/250 odds I've seen for other lockbox ships means that before you start to open 200 boxes there is a 44% chance of getting 0 ships. (1 - .004) ^ 200.

Please do not try and use math on these people. It doesn't work. They will yell at you for using math to explain a 44% chance, and this will blow into a 10 page topic about how someone knows probability more than you do. People are afraid of math.
  • Options
    kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    I see you have never played Guild Wars.

Not every game needs to mimic WoW.
  • Options
    @sdkraust

You asked the community publicly and we answered you. You just didn't like the answer and whined and called us names saying we were bad at math when in fact my four year old niece knows more Calculus than you.

You pushed your luck the first time but I won't hesitate to shoot you down now. If you already knew what YOU wanted the answer to your question to be then why did you post about it in the forums? If everyone disagrees with you then that probably means your wrong. Go cry elsewhere and stop derailing an innocent thread.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Now that the burden is lifted by getting it off your chest you should have the Mods close it. It is a win-win situation.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    sdkraust wrote: »

Please do not try and use math on these people. It doesn't work. They will yell at you for using math to explain a 44% chance, and this will blow into a 10 page topic about how someone knows probability more than you do. People are afraid of math.

Hey, your thread was literally just you lying to everyone.

The thread title was you lying.

Or not understanding how the mathematics of probability works, even a little bit at all.

You really mustn't ever post again criticizing the math knowledge of other people after that, you can't possibly keep any kind of dignity if you do.

You understand?

I understand, I am just joking now.
  • Options
    xaracrimsonxaracrimson Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    You can grind 8000 dilithium a day, sell that for 35-36 ZEN and each week you'll have 2 security keys, which you can easily sell for 7 million EC together. That is more than enough to buy those special abilities off the exchange without spending a single cent of your money.

People do not know how it goes in other games, because Star Trek Online is one of the most open F2P MMO's out there that offers non-subscribes all of its content. In example, SWTOR will eject all your purple and better equipment when you stop your subscription, forcing you to wear blue and green items while you choose F2P resulting in certain death. Only an unlock item lets you use purples again and those are for only one single character, costing about a months subscription worth of real money.

Star Trek Online offers just about anything to F2P players, if they simply grind some dilithium and sell lockbox keys or find their own lucrative way of making energy credits.
  • Options
    horizons2052horizons2052 Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    @sdkraust

You asked the community publicly and we answered you. You just didn't like the answer and whined and called us names saying we were bad at math when in fact my four year old niece knows more Calculus than you.

You pushed your luck the first time but I won't hesitate to shoot you down now. If you already knew what YOU wanted the answer to your question to be then why did you post about it in the forums? If everyone disagrees with you then that probably means your wrong. Go cry elsewhere and stop derailing an innocent thread.

Your four year old niece knows calculus? Yeah, you are full of @&%#.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    You can grind 8000 dilithium a day, sell that for 35-36 ZEN and each week you'll have 2 security keys, which you can easily sell for 7 million EC together. That is more than enough to buy those special abilities off the exchange without spending a single cent of your money.

People do not know how it goes in other games, because Star Trek Online is one of the most open F2P MMO's out there that offers non-subscribes all of its content. In example, SWTOR will eject all your purple and better equipment when you stop your subscription, forcing you to wear blue and green items while you choose F2P resulting in certain death. Only an unlock item lets you use purples again and those are for only one single character, costing about a months subscription worth of real money.

Star Trek Online offers just about anything to F2P players, if they simply grind some dilithium and sell lockbox keys or find their own lucrative way of making energy credits.

I do agree with you about the generous play to pay of STO - way way better than any other game I've played. Though they are tightening it up some.

I do want to point out it will take around 25 weeks ie 6 months to save up for the kemosabi that way.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    well this got dirty quickly
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • Options

Except when half of the people in this topic have LTS and call the kettle black to continue the status quo.
  • Options
    @horizons2052

It was a figure of speech but since you insist... I taught her what a limit is so therefore she knows more calculus than him.

P.S. Congratulations for figuring out how to make an alternate account.
  • Options
    @horizons2052

It was a figure of speech but since you insist... I taught her what a limit is so therefore she knows more calculus than him.

P.S. Congratulations for figuring out how to make an alternate account.

I have a BCS. Good job generalizing.
  • Options
    xparr15xparr15 Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    Though I don't believe the doom theory, I wholeheartedly agree that boff powers/kit modules should never have gone in lock boxes. Traits were pushing it but powers is just a step too far in my opinion.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    Years ago we used to joke that Cryptic would get greedy and start putting BOFF abilities in the Lockboxes. Ha!
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    I think the boff skills in the lockboxes are in bad form myself, but that's just how it is. Whining about it won't accomplish anything. You just gotta deal with it.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    devilzaphandevilzaphan Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    It was just a matter of time before they put an ability in one, hell they put weapons and space and ground traits in them, so why not certain abilities.
    Romulan sexy time
    romulancommander1.jpg

• Options
    paxdawnpaxdawn Member Posts: 767 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    hyefather wrote: »

Let me point one of your faileures OP. If you acquired the lockbox keys using F2P mechanics, 200 lockbox key is already roughly around 600M+ EC. If you used that 600M+ Ec just to buy the stuff you want rather buying lockbox keys, including the olaen which cost 80m+ currently at exchange plus lots extra Ec to buy kemo 1,2,3/

Dont know why you have to whine at the forums when the one who is at fault is you.

Besides, any player regardless F2P or paying zen acquire lockbox abilities. Complaining about not acquiring it means that players is utterly lazy because that player refuses to make extra effort to acquire EC for the items wanted.
  • Options
    shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    My God 35-36 zen for 8000 dil . I remember it at 50... I hope that's just temporary. :(
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • Options
    I remember when the exchange rate was 450-1 it's called free economics so stop whining.
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    paxdawn wrote: »

Let me point one of your faileures OP. If you acquired the lockbox keys using F2P mechanics, 200 lockbox key is already roughly around 600M+ EC. If you used that 600M+ Ec just to buy the stuff you want rather buying lockbox keys, including the olaen which cost 80m+ currently at exchange plus lots extra Ec to buy kemo 1,2,3/

Dont know why you have to whine at the forums when the one who is at fault is you.

Besides, any player regardless F2P or paying zen acquire lockbox abilities. Complaining about not acquiring it means that players is utterly lazy because that player refuses to make extra effort to acquire EC for the items wanted.

Just remember such so called 'failure' decisions and 'lazy' accusations against those who open boxes and pay for the game keeps the F2P model in check, the game alive, and a lot of very rare but less desirable or market saturated items available for the F2P grind aspects keeping the game fun for all.

The only scenario that results when those like the OP get fed up with the preset drop rates of rare items is no more people keeping the servers online, new stuff from rolling out, and exchange crashing so low that not even grinding is incentive to acquire anything when all is empty.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    I remember when the exchange rate was 450-1 it's called free economics so stop whining.

When was that? I remember it being very low at one point. I believe it was before LOR and that was one big grind to get as much zen as possible. Not whining about it, although it just means to me I am going to have to grind like mad to get some items off the c-store. My main concern was that I was going for the battle carrier set and since I been out of the game for a year (moving and comp issues) I figure I must have at least 8000 zen from my stipend.

Anyway on topic , yeah it is kind of a downer that the new skills are coming just from the lockbox. I guess it comes down to whether you are that anxious to get all the dps you can get. For me I just take it in stride, if I never get those new boff abilities then so be it. In fact as of now the only lock boxes I really am interested in is the Tal Shiar boxes for the command codes and the lobi. If a Plasmonic Leech happens to be in one of them (hahah!) then awesome otherwise it's not going to be the end all, be all of my playing experience.
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • Options
    paxdawnpaxdawn Member Posts: 767 Arc User
    Just remember such so called 'failure' decisions and 'lazy' accusations against those who open boxes and pay for the game keeps the F2P model in check, the game alive, and a lot of very rare but less desirable or market saturated items available for the F2P grind aspects keeping the game fun for all.

The OP made a wrong decision by buying keys rather than using the EC to buy what the OP wants. Not every F2P player with that kind of amount makes those wrong kind of decisions.
    The only scenario that results when those like the OP get fed up with the preset drop rates of rare items is no more people keeping the servers online, new stuff from rolling out, and exchange crashing so low that not even grinding is incentive to acquire anything when all is empty.

If only under the assumption that the OP is the only player to make F2P work. But it is not the case.

Your point is only true if every player is like the OP. However, I doubt every F2P player with 600M+ will make investment mistakes like the OP, nor make a fuss about his/her personal mistake. Nor will every F2P player with 600m+ EC post at STO forums to do a tantrum.

• Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    paxdawn wrote: »

I'm not winning at all, I'm praising the fact that we got new abilitys. It appears to me that everyone that replied to my post missed the point. Talk about taking something out of context, this post could be a text book definition of ppl taking one sentence out of the entire post and changing the point of the thread into something totally diffrent. Anyways, the point of this post is to address that the new abilitys deserve much praise but they should not be in lockboxes. Thats it, nothing more, nothing less.
  • Options
    I'm not winning at all, I'm praising the fact that we got new abilitys. It appears to me that everyone that replied to my post missed the point. Talk about taking something out of context, this post could be a text book definition of ppl taking one sentence out of the entire post and changing the point of the thread into something totally diffrent. Anyways, the point of this post is to address that the new abilitys deserve much praise but they should not be in lockboxes. Thats it, nothing more, nothing less.

While I wish that was the case that we could get the abilities as a mission reward or at the very least have it as a c-store item I fear that is not going to happen. I guess the suits see it as more financially sound to have us gamble and waste zen on a lock box that may or may not bring the desired results.

My question to you is though are the odds of getting this Kemo 1, 2, or 3 any better with the lock boxes? From what you wrote you had 200 lock boxes open and got a result of 9 varying levels of Kemocite abilities, is that the usual or even lucky in your case?