test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Which story arc did you find the most fun?

2»

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I stopped reading when you called "show don't tell" a RULE.... It's a suggestion at best, since it's impossible to show everything that you have as part of the backstory.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    I stopped reading when you called "show don't tell" a RULE.... It's a suggestion at best, since it's impossible to show everything that you have as part of the backstory.

When did I say rules were without exceptions? That one would have been very easy to show rather than tell, and it would have been a nice sop to the TNG fans who think STO has too much fighting and not enough diplomacy.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    Problem with that idea is that properly showing negotiations would be an hour long mission in itself.... and BORING.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Problem with that idea is that properly showing negotiations would be an hour long mission in itself.... and BORING.

Says who? I was thinking the player is present at first encounter with Voth forces, the alliance offers an accommodation (e.g. military help against the Borg*), which the Voth reject out of hand because exotherm supremacism and open fire. Half-hour mission with attempt at diplomacy ending in gunfire, neatly justifying the story arc and satisfying the "diplomacy first" people. And it shows rather than tells.

* Even if the Alliance doesn't know at this point that the Borg and Voth are already actively at war (I don't think they would know that, logically), the DQ is the Collective's home stomping grounds and they're bound to run into each other eventually, which is guaranteed to end bloodily because it's the Borg we're talking about.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,102 Arc User
    Need MOAR ARCS!!!

Hirogen - Let's hunt stuff!

Voth - MOAR VOTH STUFF!!!!

Undine - 5 episodes between "Surface Tenstion" and "Meld" Show the big tentacle monster eating a planet.

Kazon - "MOAR DELTA STUFF!"

Krenim - Give them their own arc before the war in which they're the bad guys only in it for themselves!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    Of those 3, the Iconian Arc.

The best IN THE GAME, however, is the Fek’Ihri arc.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • Options
    starswordc wrote: »
    Says who? I was thinking the player is present at first encounter with Voth forces, the alliance offers an accommodation (e.g. military help against the Borg*), which the Voth reject out of hand because exotherm supremacism and open fire. Half-hour mission with attempt at diplomacy ending in gunfire, neatly justifying the story arc and satisfying the "diplomacy first" people. And it shows rather than tells.

* Even if the Alliance doesn't know at this point that the Borg and Voth are already actively at war (I don't think they would know that, logically), the DQ is the Collective's home stomping grounds and they're bound to run into each other eventually, which is guaranteed to end bloodily because it's the Borg we're talking about.
    Yeah, that doesn't sound like a mission worth playing. Why not? Well, it's not much of a diplomatic mission if all you do is hail them once, then start shooting. Fact is I wouldn't visit them in person at all if I REALLY wanted a diplomatic solution. They're HOSTILE. Also talking to a random Voth captain is a waste of time since they don't have any sort of authority to negotiate. Thus you need to get the message to someone higher ranking.

Also, how would you write it into the story that the PLAYER is the first to encounter the Voth? As-is the story is that the alliance had been fighting the Voth since they set foot in the Solanae Sphere. You show up after they already established a beachhead. Sure you could have the player take part, but that'd be more a running firefight than anything even remotely diplomatic.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    Appreciate all the feedback so far, and lack of major spoilers. The poll is tightening!
    Poll is a bit flawed as it doesn't include ALL the story arcs.
    You are free to create your own poll, which would be geared toward an audience who have played none of the content.

This poll is for me to choose which of the 3 arcs listed to start next. Telling me how much you loved the Rom arc is irrelevant as I've already done the Rom arc. And I agree, it was refreshing to explore New Romulus, a much more open world than we've had in STO up to that point.

Then the title for the Poll should have been, "Which of the following three Arcs did you find the most fun?", not, "Which story arc did you find the most fun?" which would include all story arcs.
  • Options
    serhatgs1905serhatgs1905 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    iconian wins
    decent story telling nothing really forced uppon the player except for completing the missions.

Delta.... O M G!! forced patrols over and over and over and over again... just horrible.. took out a lot of joy and a lot of players in my fleet actually left the game with this mess.

Dyson was not that bad.. but come one... when a dev or what you call it sais he loves the thought of dino's with lasers on their head... I would have slapped him back in his chair for even thinking that let alone actually getting it in the game....

tactics? to pew pew or not to pew pew?!

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Dyson was not that bad.. but come one... when a dev or what you call it sais he loves the thought of dino's with lasers on their head... I would have slapped him back in his chair for even thinking that let alone actually getting it in the game....

Yes, because Star trek has never had ridiculous concepts like planets of gangsters or inflatable Enterprises has it?​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    I don't count the patrols in my assessment which is why I said Delta Quadrant. The acting and situations were superbly crafted. Maybe everything doesn't make the most sense in hindsight but it feels more legitimately like a Star Trek episode than virtually anything else in game.

Especially:

Mindscape, All That Glitters, Takedown, and Dust to Dust.

There are incidents, setbacks, characters with their own goals, briefing room discussions.

Far and away, the closest episodes in this game get to TV episodes.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    coupaholic wrote: »
    I liked the Delta arc most out of the choices presented.

I was lucky in that the first time I played through it I had Captain that took full advantage of a bonus XP weekend, so I was able to play through the entire thing at my own pace with no walls getting in the way.

I'll be honest and say I also like the patrols quite a lot. We actually got out to see the quadrant, to actually patrol as military ships should have and to see some alternate stories going on alongside the main plot. It is really the only way other races would get some air time.

Dyson and Iconian plots are lukewarm for me, I didn't enjoy them as much.​​

I think the core feedback I'd have is that patrols can be integrated but require a different story delivery mechanism. As it stands, they feel like underbaked episodes. Kobali Prime does a better job with a similar take.

I will avoid going into my whole system concept for how to do patrols but speaking as a guy VERY interested in story, I think if you want open repeatable filler content, you have to approach story in a different way. The Dyson Sphere probably does the best job at repeatable story content of any repeatable story hub in the game but I think something that is... halfway between Dyson and DOffing would work best as patrol style content.

I have a system in mind for this. I've been advised before by folks at Cryptic that if I post it, they own it. I wouldn't rule out selling my idea at some point, even if it's dialed back to an app game for iOS. A guy's got student loans to pay.
  • Options
    dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    I personally liked the Delta one more than the other two.
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Romulan Arc.

Of the 3 listed: voted Dyson, because it has mystery, new technology, exploration, and is what I'd like to see more of, not that the others were bad or anything.

ETA: just wanted to clarify I greatly enjoy the storylines and hope to see many more of them. Whatever the source of inspiration the producers draw from (science, paranormal, etc.) I hope they keep up their great job and release much more of it. Within a Star Trek universe the possibilities are endless.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    None of the above. The Romulan Republic leveling story beats all of them put together.
    Agreed, I also like the Borg/Undine missions
    y1arXbh.png

• Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    Another 100th poll with "OTHER" or "NONE". There should be a tutorial in how to write polls mouse-5.gif​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    storules wrote: »
    Another 100th poll with "OTHER" or "NONE". There should be a tutorial in how to write polls mouse-5.gif
    I am not sure, if you are asked which of the 3 arcs you found the most fun, then the answer is definitely not OTHER or NONE, because you can only select between the 3. Even if the most fun of them was as fun as getting skinned alive, the others would still be worse than that, and so you would have a pick for "most fun".

I guess they need a tutorial on how to reply to polls.

The only option that might be missing would be "I found them all equally fun".​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Agreed with ^. I would have said none of those.

To me, personally the New Romulus story seemed more coherent and interesting.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    Another 100th poll with "OTHER" or "NONE". There should be a tutorial in how to write polls
    I am not sure, if you are asked which of the 3 arcs you found the most fun, then the answer is definitely not OTHER or NONE, because you can only select between the 3. Even if the most fun of them was as fun as getting skinned alive, the others would still be worse than that, and so you would have a pick for "most fun".

The only option that might be missing would be "I found them all equally fun".​​
    Hey, somebody gets it! :)

There is no need for an "OTHER" option, as I want to choose between those 3 stories.

There is also no need for a "NONE" option. Your NONE option is: don't participate in the poll. Even if you hated all 3, for whatever reason, did you hate all 3 equally? If not, then one was better than the rest and this poll applies.

Results have been interesting to watch develop. Iconians took the early lead, but now Dyson has inched ahead. As of now 72 forum dwellers have voted; I'll consider the results "final" when we get to 100. Thanks all!.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    Another 100th poll with "OTHER" or "NONE". There should be a tutorial in how to write polls mouse-5.gif

The only option that might be missing would be "I found them all equally fun".

Not really...they need a tutorial in "how NOT to troll" or how to reply to to replies about polls monkey-2.gif

wpid-photo.png​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif