test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Elite Dangerous - How does it compare to EVE and STO

captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
Was looking at Elite Dangerous. Does anyone play it and how would you say it compares to STO and EVE in terms of its difficulty, story (if it has any?) ease of play etc.

I generally love STO for its gentle pace, space combat and story and disliked EVE, even though I wanted to like it, for how much effort was required to then lose a ship and months of work in the blink of an eye.

Comments

• Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    There was a lot of noise about this some months ago, now I don't hear anyone talking about it. I have not played it but did watch the video. While the visuals look good, as a game it seemed to me it would get boring pretty quick.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Was looking at Elite Dangerous. Does anyone play it and how would you say it compares to STO and EVE in terms of its difficulty, story (if it has any?) ease of play etc.

I generally love STO for its gentle pace, space combat and story and disliked EVE, even though I wanted to like it, for how much effort was required to then lose a ship and months of work in the blink of an eye.

STO is a story-based RPG. Elite: Dangerous is a procedurally generated space fighter sandbox that as far as I know has almost no story at all. If you've played any of the X series, Freelancer, or Wing Commander: Privateer, it's a much closer comparison to those.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    flyingshoeboxflyingshoebox Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    I’ve not played it since about 2 months after it launched so things have changed a bit. My take on the game is it’s nothing like sto. It’s more a sandbox with a really rogue like feel to it and at least back then multiplayer just didn’t seem to work much if at all. Rarely did I see a random person in the time I played. The only real similarity is they both take place in space. I picked up the game with a buddy and found myself calling it space truck simulator not that we could ever find each other in game back then. We could never seem to enter the same instance. A space truck simulator where shooting a few space cops was much less likely to get you killed and having to rebuild a small fortune than a parking violation. In the end I gave up on it. I just found the gaming far too focused on the minutia rather than the overall experience.

Don’t know what you’re really looking for in a game but if you want a space game that you can play with buddies that isn’t going to punch you in the gut to hard if you double park your ship. You could try star bound or space engineers. Keep in mind neither of these two games are a much like sto either. They are fun with buddies and take place in space, and space engineers may feel a bit less static soon they are in the process adding the ability to let you land on planets.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    Rarely did I see a random person in the time I played. The only real similarity is they both take place in space. I picked up the game with a buddy and found myself calling it space truck simulator not that we could ever find each other in game back then.
    Well, they said they were striving for realism - and the reality is, any given two things in space are extremely unlikely to find one another, particularly on an interstellar scale. Space is big, you know. Really big. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space. Listen...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    The best description I've heard of ED is that it's a space truck simulator. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful game and HUGE, but it's also rather empty.

Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    It's a good game, provided you enjoy Sci-Fi Sandbox games. But it is in no way similar to STO. There's a lot of potential for fun though; however, it is best enjoyed with friends.
  • Options
    flyingshoeboxflyingshoebox Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Rarely did I see a random person in the time I played. The only real similarity is they both take place in space. I picked up the game with a buddy and found myself calling it space truck simulator not that we could ever find each other in game back then.
    Well, they said they were striving for realism - and the reality is, any given two things in space are extremely unlikely to find one another, particularly on an interstellar scale. Space is big, you know. Really big. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space. Listen...

That would have been nice but when you go the same station in the same system other people are at and tell them hay I’m sitting outside the station you try undocking now and come on out and never see them. Then you try it and nothing. Then try logging out and they log out and you keep trying this random process of docking and undocking logging out even trying that one game mode where it should only ever be just you and your friends and it never works you start to think it might not be space is big so much as your friends space and your space are not the same space. Then you go to a systems that should be chock full of people since it’s the place to be (some event is going on) and find almost nobody like one or two other people show up between docking and that cruise map thing after looking around for a few hours. You really start to think something up with the way the game handles peers or instancing. I’d like to think that’s fixed these days or maybe the game had a really tiny population around launch I did stop playing it about 2 months after launch.

What is kinda funny was that no matter where I went I could always find npc’s I know I never went out as far as the guys that really were exploring but at about week 3 I decided rebuild my ship around long range travel and just flew off in one general direction for about a week just to see what there was to see and I don’t think I went to one system that didn’t have npcs in them a minute or two after I got there.

Another space game that the op might try if you’re just looking for space game is kerbal space program it’s a single player game that might one day be mutliplayer (really stressing the one day) that like elite and the other two I mentioned has no really similarities to sto outside of being space game. It is really fun though and like sto there’s nothing else really out here like it.