test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Alternative to Cardassian Faction - Non-faction Cardassian/Dominion Toons

If STO doesn't want to invest into a whole new factions, how do you feel about making some race types non-faction available (available to UPF, KDF, RR). Basically a rogue group that can operate within the existing factions and players with lockbox ships for those factions can then use those ships with a proper version of a captain for the ship. Of course, this would be a zen purchase addition to the account that would give Cardassian, Jem'Hadar, and some of the lesser Gamma Quad races (but no Changlings, since they have no interest in being with solids). Additionally, the purchase give alien parts that allow players to fix existing pseudo-canon races to look like proper Cardies and Jems. ( maybe even add some parts for the Delta Quad races like the Hirogen). It would not be a full-blown faction, but you will get an add-on pack that gives more reality to some of the missing canon races only available through limited alien designs.

Is this an acceptable alternative, would you only press them more for Cardassian/Dominion faction, or... just doesn't matter anymore.

Comments

• Options
    delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    Wouldn't make much sense to me within the context of canon and the game's story content.
  • Options
    rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    deleroux wrote: »
    Wouldn't make much sense to me within the context of canon and the game's story content.
    Well, no worries then because STO isn't canon.

Having said that though, I'd rather have a full Dominion Faction than some sorta Cardashian flavored thing.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    Yep, they could always release cardassians like joined trills or remans. Buyable and cross-faction.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    There's already nearly 100% accurate looking Cardassians and Vorta via Alien characters. It's possible to make something that kinda looks like a Jem'hadar. Hirogens and even Kazon are fairly close looking too. If they aren't going to release a Cardassian mini-faction, they should at least have acquirable Cardassian uniforms in the lobi store or elsewhere.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    I always thought it'd be appropriate to be able to select Cardassians for the Federation, seeing as how the Union is essentially a protectorate state of the UFP these days.
    On the flip-side, I could also see Alpha Jem'hadar trying to sign up with the KDF, as they are much more warrior culture than the Federation is. The Klingons would probably enjoy having Jem'hadar troopers in their ranks, too.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Similar to the Talaxians? Just release the species for build in the tailor? Sounds fine to me, but I'd like some costumes to go with it... Heck, I'd go Cardassian! Would be fun!

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    Yes, at the very least, have Cardassians as a race playable by any faction. And with that their very own costume options like what the Orions or even the Nausicaans have.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    Yes, at the very least, have Cardassians as a race playable by any faction. And with that their very own costume options like what the Orions or even the Nausicaans have.

I think the big issue here is that people have made (and played) 100% accurate Cardassians for years.

IMHO, in spite of players' emotional reaction to this in some cases, I think it would make the most sense just to put the uniforms on the Lobi Store. Put the ships on the C-Store with KDF version getting some unique parts/alt hull and Fed version getting some unique parts/alt hull. Put the traits and weapons in rep and fleet projects.

Maybe throw in an optional mission where you can report to Garak and stand revealed as a surgically altered Obsidian Order operative. Most countries spy on their close friends. U.S./U.K./Canada infiltrate eachother all the time.

So you just get presented with a big choice: Are you secretly an OO operative who has been spying on a friendly faction all along? If yes then you get reformatted as a Cardassian. If no then you stay as you are.

Species reformatting is already the tech behind Romulan allegiance. In the game code, unaligned, Fed, and KDF Roms are three different species and they undergo a species conversion when they choose a side.

So that's what you do here.

You get captured chasing an intelligence operative working for Garak. He catches you and says, "Hold on, aren't you the operative I surgically altered and placed at Starfleet/Klingon Acadamy/That Romulan colony?" If you say "no", you continue the story as you are. If you say "yes", you get altered back.

And then the story diverges there AT ENDGAME with different content that depends on whether you're a secret operative or not.
  • Options
    apulseapulse Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    rezking wrote: »
    deleroux wrote: »
    Well, no worries then because STO isn't canon.

Having said that though, I'd rather have a full Dominion Faction than some sorta Cardashian flavored thing.

STO has it's own canon.

I do not think that a fourth faction would work well with STO, there is a reason why Klingon and Federation get closer to each other. This game has trouble supporting three factions as it is.

21ajpqt.png
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    I have suggested something similar before, but of course, nothing ever came of it.

What I would like to see is themed bundle packs (in the C-Store) that enable us to play as a Cardassian/Vorta/Jem'Hadar etc, but within an existing faction. The bundle packs would include three to five unique missions (depending on the species you've chosen) explaining the reason for joining the Federation/Imperials/Republicans and would also include a starter ship (for use until level #10) and then some faction specific ships for use in later levels (#40+).

Cryptic would make a killing from sales, and this would be the perfect way to introduce as many species as they deemed necessary without the need for an entire new faction. To be honest, it's what they should have done with the Romulans too.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    flash525 wrote: »
    I have suggested something similar before, but of course, nothing ever came of it.

What I would like to see is themed bundle packs (in the C-Store) that enable us to play as a Cardassian/Vorta/Jem'Hadar etc, but within an existing faction. The bundle packs would include three to five unique missions (depending on the species you've chosen) explaining the reason for joining the Federation/Imperials/Republicans and would also include a starter ship (for use until level #10) and then some faction specific ships for use in later levels (#40+).

Cryptic would make a killing from sales, and this would be the perfect way to introduce as many species as they deemed necessary without the need for an entire new faction. To be honest, it's what they should have done with the Romulans too.

Cryptic never went with that suggestion because they're against having players have to pay to unlock anything that has a tiny bit of story content. If they're going to go about creating a new playable species just to have them with a beginning storyline separate from the three factions, they might as well just make a new faction. Just face the fact that something what you suggest will never happen flash.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User

no, no , no content in packs bad, even bad fetch quests shouldn't be sold. less sto turn into one of those "free to play" games that lock content behind pay walls. rest sounds fine.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Cryptic never went with that suggestion because they're against having players have to pay to unlock anything that has a tiny bit of story content. If they're going to go about creating a new playable species just to have them with a beginning storyline separate from the three factions, they might as well just make a new faction.
    nightken wrote: »
    no, no , no content in packs bad, even bad fetch quests shouldn't be sold. less sto turn into one of those "free to play" games that lock content behind pay walls. rest sounds fine.
    If they don't want people to pay for it that's fine. Make them play for it instead. Introduce the Cardassians or [insert other species here] much like they did for the Reman within the Republic.

Quite simply, have it so that people need to complete a specific rep set (Mirror Rep?) and then they unlock a Cardassian Bundle Pack; though give people the option to also purchase it directly if they don't want the Rep grind. It's a simple solution.
    Just face the fact that something what you suggest will never happen flash.
    Thanks for making it personal...

• Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Cryptic never went with that suggestion because they're against having players have to pay to unlock anything that has a tiny bit of story content. If they're going to go about creating a new playable species just to have them with a beginning storyline separate from the three factions, they might as well just make a new faction.
    nightken wrote: »
    If they don't want people to pay for it that's fine. Make them play for it instead. Introduce the Cardassians or [insert other species here] much like they did for the Reman within the Republic.

Quite simply, have it so that people need to complete a specific rep set (Mirror Rep?) and then they unlock a Cardassian Bundle Pack; though give people the option to also purchase it directly if they don't want the Rep grind. It's a simple solution.
    Just face the fact that something what you suggest will never happen flash.
    Thanks for making it personal...

I didn't mean to make it sound personal Flash. I just think that if a playable Cardassian factions is wanted then Cryptic will want to make a faction like the Romulans. They were so close to introducing a playable Borg (Cooperative) faction during the development of Delta Rising.

Even the whole locking it behind reputation doesn't make any sense to me. Remans were locked behind the New Romulus reputation, but that was one species, not a species, an alternate storyline and a starter ship. Having it optional to actually purchase without grinding still makes it story content that should not have to be paid for in order to play.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    I didn't mean to make it sound personal Flash.
    My mistake. :smile:
    I just think that if a playable Cardassian factions is wanted then Cryptic will want to make a faction like the Romulans.
    They probably would, but that is primarily where my concern lies. The Republic works, but it's far from finished, and Cryptic are powering on through the game without tidying the Green Team up. If the team (Cryptic) can't truly support three factions, what hope is there for a fourth?
    They were so close to introducing a playable Borg (Cooperative) faction during the development of Delta Rising.
    They were? I had heard rumours about that, but nothing concrete. What do you know? :open_mouth:
    Even the whole locking it behind reputation doesn't make any sense to me. Remans were locked behind the New Romulus reputation, but that was one species, not a species, an alternate storyline and a starter ship. Having it optional to actually purchase without grinding still makes it story content that should not have to be paid for in order to play.
    I see what you're getting at, I guess I just want to play as a Cardassian that isn't an Alien Generated one. Cardassians always interested me more than Romulans too. I just don't want them to be wasted like the Dominion have been; with the number of their ships available to us now, and that [tailor-locked] Jem Hadar boff, the likelihood of ever seeing a Dominion faction is slim at best.

• Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    I'm willing to bet money on there being a Cardassian faction release eventually. Hell, it's probably gonna drop next year in expansion #3.

See you TRIBBLE on Cardassia.
  • Options
    bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    orangeitis wrote: »
    I'm willing to bet money on there being a Cardassian faction release eventually. Hell, it's probably gonna drop next year in expansion #3.

See you TRIBBLE on Cardassia.

Commercially,it makes sense, we are getting "exploration" (or at least they are announcing it as exploration) in season 11, when polled, people asked for the gamma quadrant and cardassians after exploration.

Plus a whole new faction, that's a lot of easy money for cryptic, they'll sell a couple of 150 bucks packs like they did with new Romulus and a lot of new zen ships.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    sorceror01 wrote: »
    I always thought it'd be appropriate to be able to select Cardassians for the Federation, seeing as how the Union is essentially a protectorate state of the UFP these days.
    On the flip-side, I could also see Alpha Jem'hadar trying to sign up with the KDF, as they are much more warrior culture than the Federation is. The Klingons would probably enjoy having Jem'hadar troopers in their ranks, too.

This is how I envision it. Add to that the fact that the Cardassians have very good reason to hold the Klingons in contempt after the invasion of '72 (and the Klingons have amply demonstrated an inability to learn from their behavior and helped again to weaken the quadrant before a greater enemy), and I think it makes great sense to restrict playable Cardassians to the Federation. Let the Klingons have the Jem'Hadar.

Regardless of whether we get a buyable Cardassian, I would also like a uniform because I am not about to reroll my Cardassian-alien main that I've had since I started the game.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User

Just dropping by to agree with the OP.

I wouldn’t event want to have another faction and the player numbers of KDF and Romulans show that far less enjoy them as much as the federation side.

Cardassians, Dominon, even Borg? I doubt that those faction would be a great long term success and would even remotely justify the development costs.

Just make more species available and let them choose the factions.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    I wouldn't be surprised if they're adding Cardassians in the coming up season. They added a Cardassian commander in the Blood of Ancients mission and now out of the blue they revamped the Caradassian story arc. It seems like too much of a coincidence to me.
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • Options
    lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    dark4blood wrote: »
    sentinel64 wrote: »
    If STO doesn't want to invest into a whole new factions, how do you feel about making some race types non-faction available (available to UPF, KDF, RR). Basically a rogue group that can operate within the existing factions and players with lockbox ships for those factions can then use those ships with a proper version of a captain for the ship. Of course, this would be a zen purchase addition to the account that would give Cardassian, Jem'Hadar, and some of the lesser Gamma Quad races (but no Changlings, since they have no interest in being with solids). Additionally, the purchase give alien parts that allow players to fix existing pseudo-canon races to look like proper Cardies and Jems. ( maybe even add some parts for the Delta Quad races like the Hirogen). It would not be a full-blown faction, but you will get an add-on pack that gives more reality to some of the missing canon races only available through limited alien designs.

Is this an acceptable alternative, would you only press them more for Cardassian/Dominion faction, or... just doesn't matter anymore.

^If the Cardassians get crapped on worse than the Romulans this forum is going to be a TRIBBLE storm. They still have to fix the Romulan issue, don't compound the problem by adding a gimped Cardassian non-faction.

Except with the Cardassians it would actually make sense. They ceased being a major power the moment the Dominion lost the war.
    Arguably they ceased being one the moment Dukat sold them to the Dominion. They are little more than a client state of the Federation now.

This is stuff already established in Trek canon. The Romulans on the other hand needed a series of convoluted events that went far beyond the destruction of Romulus to reduce a powerful interstellar empire to the lapdog of the Federation and Klingons.
  • Options
    lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    Maybe if they just improve the currently available tailor options for Alien captains? Better Cardassian and Jem'Hadar pieces (though I personally think the Vorta are fine).... a hairstyle or two that work better with the Cardassian skull... and while we're at it, the skull shape used for the Kobali BOFF as well, for those of us who wanted to make a Kobali.

And of course, suitable costumes as well. The Dukat-era Cardassian military armor for one.

It would be far better to have the actual races, though. And a few missions specifically for them.
    I mean really, a Vorta mission writes itself. Especially if it involved a voiced Weyoun.
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    I'm all for playable Jem'Hadar (as a c-store race). I'd make 1 my new main tac. Don't even care if i'd have to put him in a starfleet uniform.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    bernatk wrote: »
    Yep, they could always release cardassians like joined trills or remans. Buyable and cross-faction.

Cept Remans are only available to RR and Joined Trill are only available to Fed and KDF?

I personally see a Cardassian faction one day...we've seen no ships since they mistakenly released the Galor...but more and more I think about it...and the way my views of this game have changed in the last few months...maybe just making player races are better than just making new factions.

I used to love Romulans but it's hard to get over all of the faction imbalance and the only time RR or KDF gets something new is when Feds do...and they don't always even get something new just because Feds do.

Months ago I was opposed to the idea of Romulans and other races being added to Starfleet and other cross faction races...but what is the point anymore? Most people just play Fed Tacs...why not homogenize everything else?

Even if I had to pay zen and reroll...I'd probably go for a Starfleet Romulan and Cardassian...don't know if I have it in me to roll on a new faction knowing its future is already written in the sand...
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    westmetals wrote: »
    Maybe if they just improve the currently available tailor options for Alien captains? Better Cardassian and Jem'Hadar pieces (though I personally think the Vorta are fine).... a hairstyle or two that work better with the Cardassian skull... and while we're at it, the skull shape used for the Kobali BOFF as well, for those of us who wanted to make a Kobali. And heck, while we're at it, what about the Voth?

And of course, suitable costumes as well. The Dukat-era Cardassian military armor for one.

This would neatly sidestep the perceived problems of a new faction AND avoid offending people who already have been RP'ing Alien captains (and in fact improve their situations).

I would find this equitable because it would not force me to reroll Admiral Berat, my main of three years. To have the uniform and weapons to go with my ship would be very nice.

BTW, even in game, the old uniform DOES exist, but it's only used by low-ranking Cardassians. I would of course use that canon option on my main as opposed to the overblown, impractical True Way armor.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    gulberat wrote: »
    BTW, even in game, the old uniform DOES exist, but it's only used by low-ranking Cardassians. I would of course use that canon option on my main as opposed to the overblown, impractical True Way armor.

I had a look. It does, after a fashion. The ridges stuff is meant to consist the whole top except the inverted triangle bit, in the game it smooth, with the ridged material only existing in certain parts. There's also a misshapen diamond pattern and a missing division line on the triangle.

On the upside, the new update gives the their accurate trousers and boots.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!