test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What do you enjoy more? Space or ground? would you have started playing if only one was available?

baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
Leading from an ongoing argument about allocating more developement resources towards ground or space combat, I thought a poll would be interesting to see what and why players started to play STO. Was it ground combat? Would you have started playing if there was only space combat or the other way around?
Go pro or go home

What do you enjoy more? Space or ground? would you have started playing if only one was available? 65 votes

Space combat is the primary reason why I enjoy STO
73%
nightkens2racingssbn655cptjhunterkesselrunner#0768divvydavecoupaholictoivasixofusvivenneanthonymustrumridcully0crypticarmsmane30ernesteighrichtexxaaaxxdlmc85kodachikunoseaofsorrowstunebreakerdragnridr 48 votes
Ground combat is the primary reason why I enjoy STO
26%
admiralkirkduncanidaho11kitsunesnoutpeterconnorfirstgradiicorinwenpapasezancientfightersyrannitebioixisdkraustmosul33grazyc2#7847azurealli4ncestorulesbubblegirl2015tvirx 17 votes

Comments

• Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    I actually like them equally. :p
    But yes I would've started playing regardless of if there was only one or the other.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    well, I should have put a third option there for those who have no preference.

I can only speak for myself, but if STO was only "another" MMORPG without ships to fly and so on, I would have bought it probably anyway, but the main motivator for me are the ships and space combat. Without it I would have tossed it aside many years ago, since to me the ground combat has too many shortcomings to remain fresh and playable over a long period.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    I also enjoy both. I don't think a Star Trek MMO would've been viable if it only consisted of ground elements. :/
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    baudl wrote: »
    well, I should have put a third option there for those who have no preference.

I can only speak for myself, but if STO was only "another" MMORPG without ships to fly and so on, I would have bought it probably anyway, but the main motivator for me are the ships and space combat. Without it I would have tossed it aside many years ago, since to me the ground combat has too many shortcomings to remain fresh and playable over a long period.

Suppose I felt the same during my first year in game, but slowly ground grew on me, now I like it as much as the space combat.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    hypl wrote: »
    I also enjoy both. I don't think a Star Trek MMO would've been viable if it only consisted of ground elements. :/
    but would it have been viable with only space combat for you? If your answer to that question is yes, then you know which you prefer.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    I like challenging space maps, not dps races. I like casual story ground combat, not zerg fest.
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    I like both, and I've never found ground combat to be a zerg fest ever (unless In a VERY bad pug).

Ground is definitely the most fun though.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    I'm beginning to enjoy ground more than I used to, but I am still a spaceman.​​
  • Options
    kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    I like them both quite evenly. I would like to see more space battlezones, but I am not a fan of the Tholians in the badlands at all.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    I got into sto cause it was supposed to be Star Trek, and I don't have a problem with ground combat, but I do prefer the space pew pew. W/o space combat I probably would have lost interest in it quickly cause then it would end up playing a lot more like swtor but with TRIBBLE writing
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    Ground takes more effort, strategy and planning. Basically you have to think more. Space is mostly...pew..pew..pew. The I-win button after you get desirable consoles so easy to use...even an 8 year old can use it.​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Space is boring and full of inmmature DPS builds. Ground is more like a challenge...then again PvP wise that is now dead.​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • Options
    sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    I like both, but I play Space more than ground. I don't think this game would have lasted if it was only the one or the other. Having both sets it apart.
    And yes I would have started playing if it only had one or the other. But that's not what keeps me coming back. It's the story, and what I have invested into the game.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,528 Arc User
    As usual, poll is missing both / none of the above.

It wouldn't be Star Trek without both space combat and away team missions.
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    I enjoy space more, but I wouldn't play if it didn't have the ground aspect. I dabbled a bit in Vendetta Online, and it wasn't as fun for me...

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    About 50/50 for me. But I do wish ground was a little less Rambo, at least once in a while.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    I prefer space...

Played plenty of other MMOs and MP FPS games where it was almost nothing but "ground" type combat. And its hard to not compare STOs ground with other games. And when i do compare it STOs ground is just terrible. The mechanics, controls and smoothness of animations for actions are just clunky to me.
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    Not enough options, so I will pass on voting yet again. I like both equally and would not have stayed if it only had one.
  • Options
    karlbarbkarlbarb Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    I like them both equally, truth be told. I know a lot of people complain about the ground combat, but I think it's pretty smooth, and there is quite a bit of ground content in the game. The fact that both are options here, contrary to other MMOs, is what keeps me happy as sometimes I'm in the mood for one over the other.
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    Ground is a must. Space is nice to have.
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Honestly i like space alot find it really interesting, and i am sad though that they untied the ground an space stfs from each other like they were previously though. The space part of sto has had alot of developement put into it an more assets for it compared to ground, and would not mind seeing some more development an time put forth to expand an make it more interesting both on ground itself yet also with the doff system atleast on ground to make them more micro-managing if you wished to. As well as more kit and module advancements to add more depth an unqueness to how you can build.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    To me it wouldn't be Star Trek, since the whole thing is about space and getting to set foot on dirt too. To me this what sets this game apart from most. You get to do both.

I love them both. Space is fun, its somewhat limited on what you can do. Overall still fun. Ground I loved from the start as well. Though I see more glitches on ground. Overall I enjoy it.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    walligigwalligig Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    Hmmm this is a hard one. I don't know. I feel the Space combat is a lot more fun when you are in the process of leveling up. When I am going through the story missions still using phasers/disruptors/plasma well into the Cardassian story arch and usually still using torpedo's. Enemies aren't dying instantly so it feels more like trek combat.

On Ground combat I feel like your career matters a lot more. It is also simplistic and easy to understand witch makes it fun. Also unlike space it gets more fun with more abilities that you unlock.

So I guess I would say early game Space is more fun and Late game Ground is more fun.
    sstosig2.png
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,827 Arc User
    I enjoy space...would I play STO if there was no space combat...I don't know...maybe not...are dozens of ground based MMO's I could play...so maybe I wouldn't play STO unless it had something unique to offer.
  • Options
    sdkraustsdkraust Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    I've loved Ground combat consistently since I started playing STO back in Season 5. Space has gone downhill since I've been playing and there are so many small mechanics that compounded totally break the game.

I will not play space STFs anymore because it's one giant mouse wheel.
  • Options
    detheaterdetheater Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    I definitely prefer space, but I wouldn't play (or would have stopped playing quickly) without the ground aspect. I remember Earth and Beyond. It was great for a little while but it quickly lost it's luster for me without a ground game. That being said, the ground game in STO is terrible, I really don't like it at all.

This may be sacrilege to say this but I love Star Trek and Star Wars equally and I really enjoy both STO and SWTOR. I really wish that STO had a ground game like SWTOR (decent mechanics, great story) to go along with it's space game and vice versa, I really wish SWTOR would adopt a space game similar to STO. If either game did that it would probably be my game of choice (and receive all of my money) FOREVER!
  • Options
    zero2362zero2362 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    The only times I will willingly leave my ship is when I need to visit my fleet facilities or ESD. Other than that I dont care for ground activities.
    343rguu.jpg

• Options
    grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Actually enjoy both ground and space just glad STO isn't just another PVP Arcade based platform trying to act as an simulation game....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    What a lousy poll :p

That it had both enthralled me to play.
  • Options
    atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    If the ground combat had a cover system, especially for my AI team mates, I'd enjoy it a lot more. I don't like standing out in the open or trying to take cover behind a solid object, only for the enemy AI to be able to still hit me.
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.