test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

This sums up the finale for me.

ovrkylovrkyl Member Posts: 309 Arc User
Despite issues with the overall season and story arc, the plot of this episode, and whatever (I personally enjoyed it and am thankful the "War" is over), this sums up my feelings about "Midnight". Anyone else feel the same?MEME%20STO%20shut%20up%20Sela.png
While I sat through all cutscenes and dialog the first play through, on replays I skipped cutscenes (thank you for making them skippable this time!) and F-F-Fed my way through the dialog (I've read it already), but this was aggravating to me as all get-out. I know, voiceovers have to finish blah blah blah, but still...SHUT UP, SELA!!!

EDIT: P.S. This isn't meant as a slam on Denise Crosby. Just the script/character.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Comments

• azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    New STO meme!

But yeah, you run into that little speedbump when speed replaying on mulitple characters. :p
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    If you want to slam the script writer, try running through the episode agreeing with everything Sela says. Just as repetitive, but also incredibly dumb!
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I don't know why, but the scripts for the real Trek actors to read seem to be worse than for the regular STO actors. And the actors (no matter how much they say the love reprising the roles) seem uninspired and just reading for a paycheck. They seem to put emphasis on the wrong words or something that makes it seem jarring and halting and not speech as someone would naturally say it.

Not sure I can blame the actors... maybe there's some horrible voice director directing them to read it that way?

But yes, to the OP... Sela... shut up! Just put her in a pantsuit and you'd think it was Hillary Clinton talking.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • ovrkylovrkyl Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    ... They seem to put emphasis on the wrong words or something that makes it seem jarring and halting and not speech as someone would naturally say it. ...
    And, of course, as I'm reading that, in my head I'm hearing Shatner...say the lines...just...like this.
    If you want to slam the script writer, try running through the episode agreeing with everything Sela says. Just as repetitive, but also incredibly dumb!
    Oh, I made it a point to never agree with Sela about anything (if it was an option), even the color of the sky. Some of the dialog was ok, like being able to diss Sela in varying ways, so it wasn't necessarily the script writer(s) per se. Just the inability to cut off her looong draaawwwn ooouuut waaay of describing everything. "Genetic engineering that is both...efficient...and...terrible." STFU!!! So I guess a bit of direction could be to blame.

It just falls back to the aggravation of not being able to skip cutscenes. Now you can, but you can't skip the little "flash cards" on the side of the screen.

...and Sela's pessimism and nihilism over the whole situation, "our mission", etc., when it turns out
    SHE WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE WHOLE DAMNED THING!
    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    Yeah, waiting for Sela or Kagran to finish talking is a bit of a pain. But what really irritates me about this and many missions is that the story npcs run slower than your sprint, yet faster than your jog.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The whole finale wasn't bad in terms of the actual concept but the execution was somewhat unbelieveable/sloppy.
    We go back in time to determine wether the Iconains are evil. And we do so by "spying" (while blatantly running up to them) on two random peoples' dialogue in a public park area who, without any fear of reprecussions, discuss their evil plans loud and clear. In fact, we base all of our decisions on our five minutes of being in a single park on Iconia.

The "wait for the NPC to finish" as well as "run to every corner/platform on the map to complete your objective" is annoying, but it's padding. The game/metrics require you to stay in those missions as long as possible and those are rather non-invasive methods of guranteeing that effect, I won't hold that against Cryptic.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    tempus64 wrote: »
    Yeah, waiting for Sela or Kagran to finish talking is a bit of a pain. But what really irritates me about this and many missions is that the story npcs run slower than your sprint, yet faster than your jog.
    True. A weird oddity, especially since there aren't that many constant speed buffs.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    I don't know why, but the scripts for the real Trek actors to read seem to be worse than for the regular STO actors. And the actors (no matter how much they say the love reprising the roles) seem uninspired and just reading for a paycheck. They seem to put emphasis on the wrong words or something that makes it seem jarring and halting and not speech as someone would naturally say it.

Not sure I can blame the actors... maybe there's some horrible voice director directing them to read it that way?

But yes, to the OP... Sela... shut up! Just put her in a pantsuit and you'd think it was Hillary Clinton talking.

I'm glad someone else felt that way too, was starting to think it was just me.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• ladytiamat666ladytiamat666 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    I just hope that Sela is not going to interfere in my adventures again. My character is the damn hero of this story, and i'm tired to see Sela pop up every 3 episodes and interfere with everything, sabotaging my efforts to solve problems in the most direct way.
    signature%201.jpg_zpsklpuyd7v.png
  • reiklingraiderreiklingraider Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    The voice acting does seem a little bland but I liked being able to dis Sela. The story was fine making my character the savior of the day but I would have liked to have an option of shoving a couple crates of tribbles through the gateway to keep them company.