test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

DOFF Roster UI got worse

Ok, so it's test server - so here is test result:
On DOFF Roster tab the Brig and Passangers tabs got merged..... why?
It was perfectly good separate....
Especially, as the text on tab got so long, that there is no space on numbers to show count of Colonists/Prisoners :s
And I can't adjust the UI to show whole text and numers....

Comments

• Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    I do not like prisoners and colonists being combined in the doff roster. Another problem is the filter above the list doesn't let you show only colonists or only prisoners. It only allows you to select traits and species.

Also what I'm seeing in the window is "Brig/Passengers (...". No idea what is suppose to be in parenthesis. I can drag the left or right side of the window to expand it but there is no way to expand the roster list and putting my mouse over it doesn't give a tooltip on what the whole text is suppose to say.
  • Options
    dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    This change does not make absolutely no sense and was a waste of resources.
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • Options
    isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    dalnar83 wrote: »
    Much like your grammar.

Maybe we outsourced our passenger accommodation to Ryanair?
  • Options
    maddscottmaddscott Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    dalnar83 wrote: »

Agree, with the context, but not the grammar.. :O)
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Eh, delete this, I didn't notice it was on the Tribble folder...I don't care about test servers.

Besides once it is there it never changes, anyways. I will deal with it on holodeck.
    Post edited by where2r1 on
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    There's text right at the bottom of the tab that shows how many colonists and prisoners you have. I see no reason not to merge the two?
  • Options
    There's text right at the bottom of the tab that shows how many colonists and prisoners you have. I see no reason not to merge the two?

Yes, because you need to see how many are available for assignments. ???

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    I don't really mind that they've lumped them in the same tab. The only issue I have is that the text now extends off the side of the tab so you can't see how many you have at a glance, you have to actually go to the tab and look at the numbers down the bottom.​​
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    The tabs were combined to save some vertical space so that adding Ship Roster and Ship Maintenance would be cleaner. This was solely a cosmetic change - both "bags" with 20 max capacity are still present and separate behind-the-scenes, so you haven't lost any space.

As for the number display, the (... thing -- I'd love to change that. Our only real option is to shorten the words being used, though. Maybe ... Non-Crew? No, that's terrible. I'm open to suggestions.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    Brig/Guests?
    Doesn't have the same ring as passengers, though they would technically be guests.
    ​​
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    mathcubemathcube Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    Civilians?
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    The tabs were combined to save some vertical space so that adding Ship Roster and Ship Maintenance would be cleaner. This was solely a cosmetic change - both "bags" with 20 max capacity are still present and separate behind-the-scenes, so you haven't lost any space.

As for the number display, the (... thing -- I'd love to change that. Our only real option is to shorten the words being used, though. Maybe ... Non-Crew? No, that's terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Seeing as I'm always using colonists and prisoners in assignments that permanently remove them from the roster, how about rename it to 'Expendables'? Or 'Red Shirts'?

What do you mean "save vertical space"? Just grab the bottom edge of the window and drag it down to increase the vertical size of the window. Plenty of room for the admirality ships and maintenance sections. :smile:

Edit: Could you at least add doff specialization to the filter above the list of prisoners and colonists? As I pointed out, they're combined into 1 list with no way to show only 1 type of doff.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    mathcube wrote: »
    Civilians?

I had thought that too, but then it could get confusing because there are Civilian DOFFs which have nothing to do with Prisoners or Passengers.
    ​​
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    mathcube wrote: »
    Civilians?

I had thought that too, but then it could get confusing because there are Civilian DOFFs which have nothing to do with Prisoners or Passengers.
    ​​

I agree that renaming it to civilians would be confusing, even though prisoners and colonists are in the civilian category.

Perhaps they could rename it to Passengers? Since in most cases they are only in your roster for a limited time due to sending them on assignments that permanently remove them from your roster. Edit: like passengers in your car. They are not involved in the operation of your vehicle, just like colonists and prisoners are not involved in the everyday operation of your ship. And often times passengers are being taken somewhere to get dropped off.

@borticuscryptic , any chance we could have the prisoner and colonist capacity increased? 20 each is rather slim, especially for KDF who wind up with lots of prisoners from various doff assignments. Sometimes I find myself having to either claim rewards for an assignment later since my brig is full and I'm waiting on prisoners on assignments to be removed, or dismiss prisoners that are useful to make room for the new ones. Edit: And there are around 14 star clusters between the Alpha and Beta quadrants that have various assignments that colonists are needed. 1 assignment chain per cluster, and various regular repeatable assignments that require colonists that are removed from your roster. It's a good way to get colonial XP to increase your commendation rank.

Edit: Oh, LoL. It's named 'Brig/Passengers'. Derp moment. So yeah, just drop 'Brig' from the name and the (... should go away allowing the number to show up, hopefully.
    Post edited by monkeybone13 on
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2015

Yeah, good job. /sarcasm

Now, if you would. Please put the Prisoner and Colonist tabs back where they were. And move the Maintenance Tab under the Admiralty System?
  • Options
    Hmmm...
    Brig = Prisoners
    Quarters = Passengers

But may still be too long....I think in the military we used the abbreviation : qtrs for quarters.

So: "Brig/Qtrs"

• Options
    isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    Now, if you would. Please put the Prisoner and Colonist tabs back where they were. And move the Maintenance Tab under the Admiralty System?

I do agree maintenance is best under the admiralty tab. Every time I look for it I expect it to be there. Seems weird to go from chef to cruiser.

But on names for a combined folder, how about patsies?
  • Options
    What do you mean "save vertical space"? Just grab the bottom edge of the window and drag it down to increase the vertical size of the window. Plenty of room for the admirality ships and maintenance sections. :smile:

Not sure if the "smile" means you know it's not an option? We still have minimum requirements to uphold, including a certain minimum screen resolution. There's only so much space you can play with.

Jeremy Randall
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Maybe a single button with two rows of text on it?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    generator88generator88 Member Posts: 698 Arc User
    Heck, get rid of the Cargo Bay button instead. Kahless knows there's better ways of getting to your inventory.

If screen resolution is really an issue, just tell the folks who're playing at their aunt's house on her old PC that 640*480 won't cut it anymore. ;)

Generator
    =================

I'm sure your DPS is great, but as Kahless said, "a petaQ with high system mastery is still a petaQ." (Well, he should have said it...!)
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    Well there you go, get rid of the Cargo Bay Tab. I for one never used it. And Gamma Provisions aren't as useful as they once were.

As for the resolution, I play at 1600x1200 and it still was cut off :tongue:
  • Options
    allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Well there you go, get rid of the Cargo Bay Tab. I for one never used it. And Gamma Provisions aren't as useful as they once were.

Makes total sense, don't know why it was ever put there in the first place.

Edit: Other UI changes I don't like is the change in the brightness of the doff/admiralty tabs/button. It's now a dull green that you can hardly notice unless you're staring right at it. The bright green you have on Holodeck right now is just fine. Please change it back.
  • Options

To help you keep track of items in your inventory and bank when you're not on a starbase. It shows items such as contraband and commodities which is handy if you store a lot in your bank for things like fleet projects. I happen to use it a fair amount, so would be a little upset if it got removed. Plus, I've got a feeling the 'Cargo Bay' was the answer to letting us use certain items which were stored in the bank rather than the inventory as the tab was added at the same time we got that ability. That may just be coincidence though.

As for the green tabs, those don't exist on Holodeck right now so you can't compare them. On Holodeck, the icon under the map glows green to let you know you've got assignments to collect. On Tribble that icon glows the same, then when you open the window the tabs which have things ready to collect also glow a faint green. It's new, and I quite like it as it lets you know at a glance whether it's DOFF or Admiralty missions needing collected.
    ​​
  • Options
    edited October 2015

To help you keep track of items in your inventory and bank when you're not on a starbase. It shows items such as contraband and commodities which is handy if you store a lot in your bank for things like fleet projects. I happen to use it a fair amount, so would be a little upset if it got removed. Plus, I've got a feeling the 'Cargo Bay' was the answer to letting us use certain items which were stored in the bank rather than the inventory as the tab was added at the same time we got that ability. That may just be coincidence though.

As for the green tabs, those don't exist on Holodeck right now so you can't compare them. On Holodeck, the icon under the map glows green to let you know you've got assignments to collect. On Tribble that icon glows the same, then when you open the window the tabs which have things ready to collect also glow a faint green. It's new, and I quite like it as it lets you know at a glance whether it's DOFF or Admiralty missions needing collected.
    ​​

The cargo bay tab in the doff window only shows items in your character bank. Items in your account bank don't show up. Perhaps they can change it some day to check what's in your account bank.

I too like the top tabs glowing to indicate you have stuff completed and rewards to get.
  • Options
    The cargo bay tab in the doff window only shows items in your character bank. Items in your account bank don't show up. Perhaps they can change it some day to check what's in your account bank.

Yeah it would be handy if it also included the account bank.
    ​​
  • Options
    arrmateysarrmateys Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    i'm thinking separating the brig/colonist roster would be better than bunching them up into a single category of civilians, so they're separated into more categories.

so something like:

V prisoners
    prisoner
    prisoner
    prisoner

V colonists
    name1
    name2
    name3

and so on, to make them better organized.​​
    Now clowns, that's another story. They scare the cr​ap out of me.
    We fight them too. Entire armies spilling out of Volkswagens.
    We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending them in.
  • Options
    Well, I think I can call this thread to a close with the following news: We separated them out again in the UI.

Thank you for all of your feedback, as we hadn't initially considered this to be a matter even worth discussing. Clearly this assumption was incorrect, and we're reverting the change.
    Jeremy Randall
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    Well, I think I can call this thread to a close with the following news: We separated them out again in the UI.

Thank you for all of your feedback, as we hadn't initially considered this to be a matter even worth discussing. Clearly this assumption was incorrect, and we're reverting the change.

Thank you Bort. You underestimated how nit picky we can be sometimes. :smirk:
  • Options

Haha, a matter not worth discussing, you have read the forums right? :trollface:

I'm glad you've decided to revert them though, thank you.
    ​​
  • Options
    generator88generator88 Member Posts: 698 Arc User
    I missed this earlier this week. Thanks for listening, Borticus! It's appreciated.
    =================

I'm sure your DPS is great, but as Kahless said, "a petaQ with high system mastery is still a petaQ." (Well, he should have said it...!)