test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is there anyone left from the old guard?

rck01rck01 Member Posts: 808 Arc User
Dropped by to check on the latest chatter. Doesn't seem like much has changed since I last poked my head into the forums. Don't recognize many of the usernames, either. <sigh>

Was thinking about logging back on just to see what's new but it seems like everyone has moved on. I miss the good 'olé days when a nice HOBO ganking awaited me after each new login. :(

RCK

Comments

• Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    Been PvPing since a month after the game was released. Still PvPing now, no idea why.

I generally go through two phases.
    I PvE until I'm bored of how mind-numbingly easy it is. Then I PvP until I am sick and tired of all the broken s**t.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    laferrari1laferrari1 Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    lol hi jacob, I'm the other late-Excelsior guy always on fed side, that should be quite an hint.

Anyway no, nothing has changed and frankly things got probably much worse since your last visit. On my part, I've airlocked STO out of my Steam library indefinitely. That's a whopping 11 GBs of data I can use for better stuff.
    I need to get to him. I can't just leave him out there alone. - Sometimes you've got to makes sacrifices, Lara. You can't save everyone. - I know about sacrifices. - No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make. Loss is a choice made for you. - I can't choose to let him die, Roth.
  • Options
    rck01rck01 Member Posts: 808 Arc User
    <sigh>...so, sounds like a case of SS,DD. I was hoping things had improved. But it seems like it's only gotten worse. I read one discussion about "immunity to all damage" as a new power or something. No more skill in this game, I guess. Just ridiculous.

Anyone know if HOBO is still operating? What about the other major PvP fleets? Is that whole elite pvp subculture dead now?

RCK

• Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    rck01 wrote: »
    <sigh>...so, sounds like a case of SS,DD. I was hoping things had improved. But it seems like it's only gotten worse. I read one discussion about "immunity to all damage" as a new power or something. No more skill in this game, I guess. Just ridiculous.

Anyone know if HOBO is still operating? What about the other major PvP fleets? Is that whole elite pvp subculture dead now?

RCK

The PvPers are still around. The motivation to PvP has dwindled. Frankly, I'll probably take a break until S11 is released starting tomorrow. Hoping the new season brings a science reputation or specialization that doesn't involve yet more part gens or heals.
  • Options
    nebulgamnezarnebulgamnezar Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    rck01 wrote: »
    <sigh>

RCK

My fleet is allways active in (pvp) its just i dont make premades anymore since all premades died after DR, since DR we lost 200 character/members and regained 100, also we did aquired a tier 5 FED fleet and we called it House of Beautiful Orions.
    [System] Link has been on active duty for 415 days, 23 hours, 9 minutes, 16 seconds.
    [System] Zelda has been on active duty for 126 days, 11 hours, 51 minutes, 48 seconds.

French Canadian
  • Options
    ednahax101#5140 ednahax101 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    I'm still here for the moment....like really short
  • Options
    nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    To be honest, i took a break for a vacation and now it's a month and half without STO. Thinking about to come back in a week or so to see the S11 and my csi friends', but i don't know if i will be stable online. Actually, i feel bored and frustrated by the amount of grinding nowadays in the game, i just can't handle and stand it, and from a total f2p p.o.v. it's hard to keeping up with who spend real money in...
  • Options
    soundwisdomsoundwisdom Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    After all the forum changes , its rare to see anyone from the beta/alpha days; not to mention most of these forums are pretty dead.
  • Options
    wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    I'm still here for the moment....like really short

ban inbound, eh? ;):D:)
  • Options
    blahhdreyblahhdrey Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    Dead, all dead.
    dEpN3nB.png?1
  • Options
    scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    Old guard? Is that something to eat?
  • Options
    praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    deokkent wrote: »
    I've turned into my worst nightmare. I recently leveled up a delta romulan, it's flying a scimitar, faws everywhere, plays it casually, and apparently someone uploaded my dps from a pug to dps ryan metals crew league and to dps original crew league. It appears that I beat 30K somehow (both a member of dps-silver and dps-30000). How the TRIBBLE did that happen? Beats me...

Deokkent, the now much dishonored minister of KDF propaganda.

lol it's sad when PvPers can accidentally break 30k when so much of the population struggles to make the basic (bare minimum?) 10k.
  • Options
    dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I used to pvp a lot in capture and hold years back, but since my return like 5 weeks ago I didn't manage to enter any queue (I can only guess that pvp is dead more or less)...

I need to catch up with a lot of the power creep so have to queue for PvE as well, but I have some fond memories about some relaxing CaH havoc and even some random Arena matches.
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    Are you level 60 @dalnar83 ?

If you're below level 60, that pvp is separate and doesn't fire.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I was patient enough in the weekend and after 15 minutes or so got into a match. To summarize my experience after 2 years... "wish I didn't".
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • Options
    iggyvosseniggyvossen Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    I am wondering what has happened to the members of Lag Industries. Anyone know?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    iggyvossen wrote: »

u're talking about someone in particular? as a member of lags pvp-department i can tell u that most of us seem to have vanished for quite some time now. sometimes there is someone on, but i think any planned activity in that direction is dead. our fleet is still there and still as active as it can be without most of the relevant heads. but i'm rarely on myself, so may we're the one flourishing pvp-fleet :D:(((....

last ones i saw were parker, omens, jif, ash, ric and gio i think. haven't been in touch with reg for ages :(.
    it's just what it is, and i guess most of us came to the point of acceptance that pew in here finally got damned and doomed into oblivion :(.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2015
    praxi5 wrote: »

lol it's sad when PvPers can accidentally break 30k when so much of the population struggles to make the basic (bare minimum?) 10k.

I made a DPS boat out of the T6 Breen ship just to speed through getting the starship trait. Frankly, I don't see why people find it complicated to make a FAW boat. Heck, tempted to make an antiproton beam boat and see how much DPS it can dish out. With the 3 piece -20% weapon cost bonus, plasmonic leech, EPtW, and using energy siphon, the weapons power almost never seems to drop from 125. Pew, pew, pew, boom.

I didn't even realize the T6 Breen packed so much of a punch until today. Tempted to switch from the Vesta to it for PvE.
  • Options
    iggyvosseniggyvossen Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    wast33 wrote: »
    iggyvossen wrote: »

u're talking about someone in particular? as a member of lags pvp-department i can tell u that most of us seem to have vanished for quite some time now. sometimes there is someone on, but i think any planned activity in that direction is dead. our fleet is still there and still as active as it can be without most of the relevant heads. but i'm rarely on myself, so may we're the one flourishing pvp-fleet :D:(((....

last ones i saw were parker, omens, jif, ash, ric and gio i think. haven't been in touch with reg for ages :(.
    it's just what it is, and i guess most of us came to the point of acceptance that pew in here finally got damned and doomed into oblivion :(.

Thanks. And yes, people like Reg, LadyCintia, Echo... I remember Ash.. Didn't know Jif was in Lag, I thought he was in another fleet.

Those were fun times. Sighs.. I remember the Dominion Wars. That was fun.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    jif was one of our top dps'ers (edit: damagedealers, spikers! not meant to write dps'ers! that far we are lmao :() and bared the flag in tourneys and many premade fights ;). i think cynthia is the most active of those nowadays.
    i'm not sure what particular those wars have been tbh lol, no idea if i was in there.
    Post edited by wast33 on
  • Options
    laferrari1laferrari1 Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    I'm one of the fleet leaders of Lag, and I can say that things aren't going well, like for most of the fleets that used to be very active in PvP. Before it died of course.
    I need to get to him. I can't just leave him out there alone. - Sometimes you've got to makes sacrifices, Lara. You can't save everyone. - I know about sacrifices. - No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make. Loss is a choice made for you. - I can't choose to let him die, Roth.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Depending on what you count as "Old Guard". I used to PvP, but I took a break from 2012 to 2014 or so, after so many disappointmens regarding PvP development. Lots of additions to the game as a whole that made PvP worse, none that made it better, and nothing on the horizon, not even new game modes. And the few glimmers of hope that existed were rapidly extinguished.

When I came back I didn't do it for PvP. I did it for the new PvE content, I wanted to see that Dyson Sphere and figure out what was up with the Romulans.

And I haven't really looked bat into PvP. It used to be nice, but I think in the current state it's not for me anymore. Cryptic would need a significant overhaul to make PvP worth boterhing with. ANd I am not talking about rewards here, I am talking about gameplay.

Basically, they need to bring the game back to something it was around Season 2 or so - no clicky consoles, no specializations, no reputations, no fleet gear, nothing better than Mark X or maybe Mark XII Very Rares. The barrier to entry must be low, so that people start on even ground. But that totally doesn't fit their PvE-oriented power creep business model.​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    tfomegatfomega Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    lol cryptic.. you might as well rename these forum as PvP Reunion, because you drove us all away and this forum exists for the occasional reunion for pvpers to check back and see if you got your heads out of the sand yet.

I AM NOT A FAN OF PWE!!!!
    MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2010
  • Options
    tfomega wrote: »
    lol cryptic.. you might as well rename these forum as PvP Reunion, because you drove us all away and this forum exists for the occasional reunion for pvpers to check back and see if you got your heads out of the sand yet.

LOL, make it so ! Maybe we could have annual gathering as well ?
  • Options
    daviddxxdaviddxx Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    lol nandos.. ähm nice Vid. ;)
    Regarts
    David
    fIDFtkM.gif
    Star Trek Online
    *** Aktiv since 03.06.10 ***