test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Would you like to be able to build ships from scratch?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ayradyssayradyss Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    Meaning no disrespect, but I didn't actually vote as IMO, this really has no chance of ever coming to pass in any reality remotely like our own. There are so many reasons why, from CBS not wanting frankenships in a game branded with the Trek name to the simple fact that it would take an enormous amount of resources from the devs that I'm sure they are not about to commit. So . . . I just don't see the point in this whole exercise.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    Not so sure about it, but yes if it would be possible.
    Certain ship groups already have a mix'n'match appearance modification possibility. For example, for the Klingons, the Fleet Tor'khat can use the Vor'cha parts as well as the Vor'kang parts if the Vor'kang was purchased. You can chose to have the ship look like one of the three models or mix'n'match the parts among all three and create a hybrid appearance. This works great, but probably isn't all that feasible as many ship parts just wouldn't line up or fit properly. They seemed to have abandoned this mode, probably because it was too difficult to code and not worth the programming resources.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    It's cool in theory, but it's just now how things work. It could be done if everything were like the Connie, and had very simple, distinct parts. But that's not how things work. The Intrepid's saucer is integrated directly with the secondary hull. Pulling the saucer off (where do you cut?) and shoving a Sovvie Saucer on, would leave all sorts of gaps and overhangs and intersecting TRIBBLE. It would never look right unless you manually modeled it all to work together (which would be a tremendous undertaking for every combination of ship parts from every ship)

Pass.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    Get the license for the Starship Creator art assets from Simon and Shulster and use them as a base?

Seriously I loved those games, and you could even import your ships into Star Trek: the Fallen. It was great.
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    The current system wasn't designed with that in mind, and to be honest I think it would take away from the games immersion value.

If a new system were introduced in the future, say a new class of ships with interchangable parts designed with this in mind where parts are added over time, it might be possible. It would have design restrictions so that ESD orbit would not be filled with ships covered in 20 nacelles. The only way STO might look at it is with the possibility that some parts would only be available in the C-store, while others would be lockbox components etc. It has to be a viable business opportunity before it's something they would pursue.

Kit bashing ships has always been a part of Star Trek's development. Just look at the graveyard of ships in Best of Both Worlds part II, and you see it's potential.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Not at all. I'm fine with starship customization as it currently is.
    illcadia wrote: »
    Get the license for the Starship Creator art assets from Simon and Shulster and use them as a base?

Seriously I loved those games, and you could even import your ships into Star Trek: the Fallen. It was great.

they will not allow anything you have designed 100% yourself to be imported into the game due to difficulties with copyright and potential legal issues that might arise, the most they would allow is for the devs to design a selection of ship parts that can be put together sticklebrick style to create a starship, that is why you could spend hours trying to build a ship with these pre designed parts to try and make a ship that is unique to you and then find there are 50 or more players who have exactly the same unique ship as you do.

all rather a pointless waste of time in my opinion.

its pretty much the same with the foundry editor, although you have a somewhat free hand with the story thread, all of the ships, enemy, scenery and set pieces are what the devs have designed for you to use, so everything you see when you play a foundry mission was in the game to start with its just all arranged in such a way as to tell a story that has been made up by the player.

there are a lot more pieces available to use in the foundry editor then you would ever find in a ship builder if it was added to this game so you would find that your choices were somewhat limited to start with especially when you find a lot of the parts you want to use just don't fit together right and you have to start over.

the only way they would allow you to design and build ships "from scratch" is if you actually got a job at cryptic as a ship designer, even then you could find the ships you deign breach somebody else's copyright like paramount`s for example.
    Post edited by bobbydazlers on

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Totally!
    I would not mind being able to either build, or send in new designs for ships, or even just new designs for ship parts of some classes. Yet to me i would not mind being able to use parts of ships from the same class to create new looks. Yet even just the idea of Devs adding ship-part packs to the c-store would be nice, so that we can have more design choices in looks for the ship classes. This would also make it that the power-creep could be slowed by having fewer new ships brought in with ship traits, while also making more options even for kdf/rom since they add more options to thier existing ships for their looks.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    tacofangs wrote: »
    It's cool in theory, but it's just now how things work. It could be done if everything were like the Connie, and had very simple, distinct parts. But that's not how things work. The Intrepid's saucer is integrated directly with the secondary hull. Pulling the saucer off (where do you cut?) and shoving a Sovvie Saucer on, would leave all sorts of gaps and overhangs and intersecting TRIBBLE. It would never look right unless you manually modeled it all to work together (which would be a tremendous undertaking for every combination of ship parts from every ship)

Pass.

hey Taco, is there something on the horizon at least that would let us choose the shield, engine skin/effects from reputation gear on our ships without needing to equip said parts?
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Not at all. I'm fine with starship customization as it currently is.
    asuran14 wrote: »
    I would not mind being able to either build, or send in new designs for ships, or even just new designs for ship parts of some classes. Yet to me i would not mind being able to use parts of ships from the same class to create new looks. Yet even just the idea of Devs adding ship-part packs to the c-store would be nice, so that we can have more design choices in looks for the ship classes. This would also make it that the power-creep could be slowed by having fewer new ships brought in with ship traits, while also making more options even for kdf/rom since they add more options to thier existing ships for their looks.

players have sent in new designs for ships before through the forums and such and often they looked quite awesome designs but they have all been disregarded for the same copyright and potential legal issues that might arise from their use, the same as importing a 3d model from creator software as suggested in the post above by illcadia, it just not something that cryptic would allow.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.