test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Create a Character question

Why is it sometimes when I create a new character it will let me load an outfit I already have saved, but other times that option is grayed out?
sstosig2.png

Comments

• Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Species and/or faction restrictions. Try checking the 'outfit only' option when trying to load an outfit. Or 'uniform only' or 'costume only' or whatever it's called.
  • Options
    walligigwalligig Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    That's just it, "Load Outfit" was grayed out. I couldn't click it. Anyways after I made the OP I quit out of STO then reloaded the game. When I tried to create a new character again I was able to click "Load Outfit" this time. Strange, I am still curious to what causes this to happen.
    sstosig2.png
  • Options
    tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Was the randomly chosen species/gender the same as it was before?
    /channel_join grind
  • Options
    I don't know. I don't think so but I didn't really pay attention.
    sstosig2.png
  • Options
    tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    Species, faction, and gender act as filters. If all of your saved outfits have been filtered out, you'll have a grayed button.
    /channel_join grind
  • Options
    acheronbladeacheronblade Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    It's a bug when using the character creator as far as I know. I have had the same thing happen many times.

I create lets a say a ferengi. I Save the outfit. then go back, and fiddle around with a different race or some such. decide thats not what I want, so I go back to making that ferengi again, and all the sudden I can't load the costume I just made a few minutes ago. :p Does not matter if its the same species, gender, and career.

Seems to always fix it if I reload the game though.
    PRWDS5g.jpg
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    Seems to always fix it if I reload the game though.

Or just make the tailor your first stop after you play/skip the tutorial (absolutely no issues loading saved outfits/characters there)

I know that leaves you without the character you want for as long as that playing/skipping takes but at the very least you can make a "rough cut" in the character creator for that limited session then load up the "final draft" once finished.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    As I remember, in the character creator you cannot use preloaded characters. You can use those however when you are in the game at the tailor. Don't know if it is a bug, perhaps it is supposed to work this way. Like, someone who creates a new character wants something new, not something old, something he already has. Gamemakers always want to think for us, the players.

The reverse thing works though. Create a character, save it in the character creator and stop with the creator; skip the further proces of creation. Log in on an existing character, go to the tailor, look at the saved characters, here it is.

BTW, as is said, saved characters can only be used on characters of the same species. Outfits only works for all characters restricting to faction and gender of course.
  • Options
    It's a bug when using the character creator as far as I know. I have had the same thing happen many times.
    Ah ok, cool.
    fovrel wrote: »
    BTW, as is said, saved characters can only be used on characters of the same species. Outfits only works for all characters restricting to faction and gender of course.
    Actually, that is not always true with Aliens. I noticed that sometimes if you go to "Uniform Only" it will still copy the facial features about 50% of the time providing that the Alien template has the parameters of the species you are trying to copy.

A good Example is if you are on your Klingon and you want one of your humans from you fed character. You can choose an alien, go to uniform only, load the humans uniform and you will have your human, just in a KDF uniform. I doubt this is suppose to happen and it doesn't always work, but its a pretty neat trick.

sstosig2.png