test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

115.444 Shield Hit Points are too much.

I decided to bite the bullet and see by myself the effect of the new science consoles provided by T2 Development Lab.
Slotted 4 of the [+PrtG] and [ShHP] (note, the variant that gives LESS shield capacity boost, not even the other one) + an R&D Exciter and upgraded them to MK XIV.
Turns out I ended up having 28.861 Shield Hit Points PER facing, for a grand total of 115.444 Hit Points on a ship meant to deal damage exclusively with Particle Generators. Also, the mentioned consoles provide a boost that is less or equal to +30% all damage on use of exotic abilities, like if the huge shield boost was not enough.

So now I have a ship that has >60% more shields than my used-to-be healer, has just 15% less resists (passives...), BUT hits like a truck.

It's... well I already know how this is going to end and frankly I lost hope. I thought it was a good one to share, because this is Devs fault. We already have an excessive number of immunities and resist passives that have summed up beyond control, now on top of that everyone can get to have enough shields to just park their ship, don't care about healing it and leave weapons in autofire. When is an NPC ever going to get through a base 115.444 Shield HP? Players won't... because nobody plays PvP.

Anyway, here are the pics. See it by yourself.

eZ6pVo6.jpg
l0RIosM.jpg

Touché.
I need to get to him. I can't just leave him out there alone. - Sometimes you've got to makes sacrifices, Lara. You can't save everyone. - I know about sacrifices. - No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make. Loss is a choice made for you. - I can't choose to let him die, Roth.

Comments

• Options
    thenoname711thenoname711 Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    And this not even the end, your shields are just mk XII...
    Gameserver not found.
  • Options
    laferrari1laferrari1 Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    And this not even the end, your shields are just mk XII...

Yeah... I know.
    I need to get to him. I can't just leave him out there alone. - Sometimes you've got to makes sacrifices, Lara. You can't save everyone. - I know about sacrifices. - No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make. Loss is a choice made for you. - I can't choose to let him die, Roth.
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    Really? I did 20k (Per facing) on a fleet Nova before Delta Rising, I died to bleedthrough in the test pvp with almost full shields. I dread to think what I could do now with all these new powerful +SHP consoles.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    chaseling94chaseling94 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    Bare in mind the sci vessels have better shield hp pools than cruisers in general. My recluse had 16k shields and 105k hull and iconians struggled to get through thT.
  • Options
    adamkafei wrote: »
    Really? I did 20k (Per facing) on a fleet Nova before Delta Rising, I died to bleedthrough in the test pvp with almost full shields. I dread to think what I could do now with all these new powerful +SHP consoles.

If you were to pick up the variant that gives more Shield HP and less PrtG, you'd gain a 7% ish bonus per console. So yeah, I could have added another <30% if I wanted to the shield capacity.
  • Options
    eighrichteeighrichte Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    I broke 31K/facing on my Annorax with, IIRC, with a UR Mk XIV rep shield. I don't recall at the moment which, but I can check when I get home. And that was without any of these new sci consoles. At the moment I'm running closer to 18K, because the Breen shield just looks too damn good not to use on that ship.

Just wait for the new R&D shield with cap X 4.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I forgot to add: I have the Reman set, the covariant capacitance cell proc can raise the cap of another 25% (five stacks, 5% each when struck by energy damage).
    So that makes another... 60% I could have added to those 115.444 Shields.
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Thats great till you meet one Borg sphere.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    You only need two armour consoles on your Oddy.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    You only need two armour consoles on your Oddy.​​
    that odyssey looks like a healer build for PvP so 3 would be good since, unlike NPCs, players can debuf.
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    My eng in a command cruiser I got my shields up over 13k/per facing with just 2 crafted field gens and an aegis shield. I should try 1 of these and see what happens.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    I may be wrong, but I don't think it's uncommon to have a ship with these types of stats.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    paxdawnpaxdawn Member Posts: 767 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    laferrari1 wrote: »
    When is an NPC ever going to get through a base 115.444 Shield HP?

Bring your heavy shield build to Elite Borg, aggro all the borg fleet and find out how many seconds before you die.
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    Great! All you need now is 1 mil HP and you can stand in for an NPC on advanced!
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    Hmm...

No wonder I hate ending up with less than 10k shield facings.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I dont see a problem, pretty much the same number of shields could be achieved for years (at least since T5F-Ships were avaiable), so its not like this is new. And you have to invest something to get that much, so again, no problem here.

But as someone else mentioned, you are comparing a cruiser (high hull, medium shields) with a Sciship (high shields, low hull). The multiplayer certainly plays a role here.​​
  • Options
    paxdawn wrote: »
    When is an NPC ever going to get through a base 115.444 Shield HP?

Bring your heavy shield build to Elite Borg, aggro all the borg fleet and find out how many seconds before you die.

Been there, done that. It wasn't hard to do with Hazard Emitters (and relative immunity trait, on top of many others) and excessive particle generator damage.

Funny enough, I never thought I could get away with +400 particle generators AND crack the 100k shields without being a healer. With the current meta you can do it and have no drawbacks. Plus, as I said, if I were to take into account the 5 stacks of the Reman set 2 passive and if I had picked up the consoles that gave more Shield HP and less PrtG, I would have easily added another 60% shields HP in the mix. How? +7%-ish per console, multiplied by 4 is 28%, full stack of capacitance cell adds 25%, count in something more for the shield that's MK XII and there you go.

Excessive to say the least.
  • Options
    woodwhity wrote: »
    I dont see a problem, pretty much the same number of shields could be achieved for years (at least since T5F-Ships were avaiable), so its not like this is new. And you have to invest something to get that much, so again, no problem here.

But as someone else mentioned, you are comparing a cruiser (high hull, medium shields) with a Sciship (high shields, low hull). The multiplayer certainly plays a role here.​​

The shield modifier alone doesn't justify the Odyssey having 37% of the shields of the Intrepid. You could achieve that amount before the research lab, granted. Field Generators.

But you were not going to get particle generators/flow or whatever in addition to them, plus a proc to deal even more damage or stronger heals. What I'm trying to say is that the game got even more broken with these. I can't find other words to say it; broken is the only one I can find.
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2015
    Hey, I don't mean to come in here and criticize your findings, but could you post a couple of screens of the oddy and pathfinder using identical equipment? I've noticed in your current shots the shields and sci consoles are very different and could throw off your results.

(It would also provide a more unbiased set of results for your argument)

Edit: also, if you use the Nukara Reputation Auxiliary Power Configuration - Defense trait that could also throw things off if the screens were taken in system space. (as the pathfinder would get better bonuses from it with the greater aux power)
  • Options
    orion0029 wrote: »
    Hey, I don't mean to come in here and criticize your findings, but could you post a couple of screens of the oddy and pathfinder using identical equipment? I've noticed in your current shots the shields and sci consoles are very different and could throw off your results.

Edit: also, if you use the Nukara Reputation Auxiliary Power Configuration - Defense trait that could also throw things off if the screens were taken in system space. (as the pathfinder would get better bonuses from it with the greater aux power)

Of course the consoles are different, why would I want to use something different than shield healing ones in the first place? The thing is that I got no tradeoffs (funny huh, complaining for not being gimped, but I prefer balance instead of powercreep) for maxing out particle generators: actually, I got an overwhelming amount of shields AND an added bonus to damage.
    For the rest both ship use the Nukara defensive trait (as a healer, the Odyssey runs on maximum auxiliary and shield power so no difference to be found there).

As for providing screens well no. I'm not logging in again anytime soon. I had more than enough letdowns from this game.
  • Options
    paxdawnpaxdawn Member Posts: 767 Arc User
    Of course the consoles are different, why would I want to use something different than shield healing ones in the first place? The thing is that I got no tradeoffs (funny huh, complaining for not being gimped, but I prefer balance instead of powercreep) for maxing out particle generators: actually, I got an overwhelming amount of shields AND an added bonus to damage.
    For the rest both ship use the Nukara defensive trait (as a healer, the Odyssey runs on maximum auxiliary and shield power so no difference to be found there).

As for providing screens well no. I'm not logging in again anytime soon. I had more than enough letdowns from this game.

Which I still fail to find the issue of the problem.

Of the two you posted, One has higher hull and lower shield, the other has lower hull and higher shield. Of which they have strengths and weaknesses.

having those amount of Shields means nothing at elite Borg STF. Its like a knife on hot butter.

I see nothing broken here.
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    Even with high shield hp, you still cannot sit a park a ship in front of an enemy--especially a PvPer. There are so many ways to bypass the shields and attack the hull directly. Plus, if you're playing against DPSers, that amount would not be enough against those doing 30+ DPS. As far as shields go, the boost is fine.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    orion0029 wrote: »

You're comparing apples to oranges. Comparing what is almost certainly a regenerative shield on the Oddy to what could be a covarient on the other ship is beyond absurd. Ignoring the potential for what shield boosting consoles can do for the Oddy is also silly. Furthermore, you've completely ignored the fact the Oddy is STILL the ship with more effective HP counting shields, armor and HP, yet not counting healing which the Oddy is also going to come out ahead in with the right BOFF loadout.

The only thing I'd agree with you on is that fleet consoles are OP. All of them. If they were one per ship effective, it would reign in a lot of the power creep issues. Just imagine the outcry if people were only allowed one locator console.
  • Options
    You're comparing apples to oranges. Comparing what is almost certainly a regenerative shield on the Oddy to what could be a covarient on the other ship is beyond absurd. Ignoring the potential for what shield boosting consoles can do for the Oddy is also silly. Furthermore, you've completely ignored the fact the Oddy is STILL the ship with more effective HP counting shields, armor and HP, yet not counting healing which the Oddy is also going to come out ahead in with the right BOFF loadout.

The only thing I'd agree with you on is that fleet consoles are OP. All of them. If they were one per ship effective, it would reign in a lot of the power creep issues. Just imagine the outcry if people were only allowed one locator console.

That's exactly what I'm trying to say. GG on that. The thing is that due to those consoles the Intrepid skyrocketed Shields wise. I know perfectly that the Odyssey should have less shields, but prior to the release of those consoles the difference was ok, in the order of a few thousands and none of them was equipped with stacks of Field Generators-like buffs.

Now by adding the research lab particle generator consoles I am able to maintain 414 skill value, but for free I get to have 72.748 (+70K!) more shields. Not the few thousands I'd come to expect.
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    Alright, now that I read the arguments here more closely, I see this isn't a comparison between the Pathfinder and Oddy. (which is good as comparing two ships with different equipment sets won't yield any valid results, stats wise)

As for Fleet consoles/shield boosters, and such, yeah a 1/ship limit would have been the way to go. (Starting way back with the dil mine/embassy consoles in my opinion), allowing multiple per ship is just asking for out-of-hand powerful beasties of ships.

Even using just the Field Exciter with "Butterfly's" console (forgive me, I can't remember the name at the moment), I'm peaking 22k/shield face on my Vesta, with my Adapted M.A.C.O. MK XIII purple shield. Which I think rather odd, but not terribly objectionable since the Vesta's hull is made of cardboard anyway... lol (Or at least it used to be before the T5-U thing, now it's more like aluminium. :p )
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Isn't OPness the point of fleet consoles? Why would people go to the effort of getting them if they weren't better than what you have already?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Isn't OPness the point of fleet consoles? Why would people go to the effort of getting them if they weren't better than what you have already?

A thing is being slightly better, another thing is being ridiculously overpowered to help advance in the pursue of having a Q ship.
    This game needs one heck of a rebalance.
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    stop trying to undermine sci stuff all the time.
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    Those numbers don't look high enough to say "broken" to me. Given the amount of shield-pen and drain shenanigans these days, it's good to see such a boost.​​
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    scarling wrote: »
    stop trying to undermine sci stuff all the time.

Sorry, but I prefer a balanced gameplay, not a win-win meta and no drawbacks.
    tk79 wrote: »
    Those numbers don't look high enough to say "broken" to me. Given the amount of shield-pen and drain shenanigans these days, it's good to see such a boost.​​

maybe those "shenanigans" needs to be fixed directly, not by adding something OP in the hope of countering something OP. It's a vicious cycle that just won't end.