test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Communication with the players

Why have the Devs of STO not released any statement about the server issue of the past two or three days.The Forums are littered with threads about bad servers or unable to connect.Most of the information that is floating in those threads has been coming form players doing their own investigations.The Neverwinter Forums have threads about the same issue but in those cases Neverwinter Devs have been posting information and keeping their players updated.This lack of information on the forums of STO was a problem before many months ago.For a while it seemed they had changed their ways and information on problems seemed to come quickly,but now there is a relapse and the players of STO are left in the dark again.In my opinion if players are informed of a problem as soon as it starts they will be more content to wait out the repairs with patience and understanding.Not informing the players only will make them more frustrated then they already are,and they will be more likely to abandon the game for another.

Comments

• salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    My guess is that the servers are on semi-autopilot over the weekends. Every weekend, one team rotates working. This weekend it happens to be Neverwinter. Hey, I have to stop bashing the Devs some time.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    short answer: have read those threads.

long answer: weekend plus problems chances are the devs were busy or at home.

downside to a passionate fanbase can get real toxic real quick. didn't take half a day for people to start losing it and a dev showing saying they don't know why it broke never goes over well.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    It's the weekend. They'll probably confirm it on Monday.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    I suspect that while many are having problems, many more aren't.
    I too, have on several occasions, been unable to get into the game (not so much this weekend), but when coming to the forums find that it seems to be more of a regional thing rather than an overall problem with the Servers.
    Most of the time for me, it's a connection from my IP server (T/W) to the Cogent servers in Boston.
    (which seems to be the final stop in the line, before connecting to the actual STO servers)
    My uneducated guess is that the Cogent servers get overwhelmed at times, so they (not Cryptic/PWE) throttle back the number of connections to the system on a somewhat rotating basis.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    Cogent isn't throttling back connections. This is an as-yet unidentified problem on Cogent's end.

http://katyonthehill.com/cogent-names-names-in-interconnection-tussles/

[qoute]Cogent recently signed interconnection agreements with AT&T, Verizon and Comcast, the three ISPs that accounted for the biggest part of its congested traffic in the run up to the open Internet rules that went into effect June 12.

Since then, Cogent said that Comcast has been opening up new interconnection points.

“What we saw was a rapid rate of port augmentation by Comcast throughout the second quarter and it was only at the end of the quarter that we saw ports running at full capacity,” Schaeffer said. “Now we met with Comcast, we provided our forecasts and there are additional ports being turned up in this quarter. At this point, there are sufficient ports that there is no congestion,” said Schaeffer.

AT&T and Verizon have also been cooperative and rapidly turning up their ports in the third quarter, but at present the ports still remain congested and there are more ports in queue to be turned up, Cogent said.

“We hope that by the end of the third quarter, we will be in the same position [with AT&T and Verizon] that we are currently with Comcast. More ports and no congestion and a road map for additional ports in subsequent quarters,” said Schaeffer.[/quote]

Apparently as of the beginning of this summer there's no congestion at all between Cogent and Comcast. Something may have broken between them the other day but it's not only Comcast users having problems.

All we know is it's been confirmed to be an issue with Cryptic's ISP, not what the issue is specifically.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    You could do as I do : read Neverwinter's Dev comments on THEIR forums.

Someone reminded me the other day: Neverwinter is "their baby". And definitely have more resources, including more paid employees TO be able to keep in touch with players on weekends.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • gholendhorgholendhor Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    Part of my point that I'm trying to get across is that we shouldn't have to rely on the Neverwinter forums for information.I don't play Neverwinter so don't want to sift through all their forums to find out what the problem is with STO.If the problem is with all Cryptic/Perfectworld games then there should be a Statement posted on all effected games forums.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    trendy and taco are the only ones to actually try to keep in regular communication with us... been that way for a long while. Will give Borticus his 2 points tho, he does pop in from time to time esp for major issues.
  • whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Even if they have a skeleton crew on the weekends:

1) The M.O.D. needs to contact leadership and tell them if they need more bodies to troubleshoot and possibly fix issues, and the leadership needs to give it to them, this is a product that is entirely service based, three days down is ridiculous and poor product management.

2) Three days without some sort of announcement on the forums? Really? What kind of training does the weekend crew get? http://www.hark.com/clips/vyflpzzqsb-train-this-guy

gholendhor wrote: »
    Part of my point that I'm trying to get across is that we shouldn't have to rely on the Neverwinter forums for information.I don't play Neverwinter so don't want to sift through all their forums to find out what the problem is with STO.If the problem is with all Cryptic/Perfectworld games then there should be a Statement posted on all effected games forums.

It would be a waste to have employees from different games to keep forums updated with the same information.

PWE is going to have to task the Cryptic Devs in Neverwinter to post updates to all games forums. It would become a chore, and doubt they would keep doing it.

OR PWE is going to have to allow the "weekend dude" at Cryptic access to the notifications at top of the forums to post the link to the thread they are updating the system status on. They seem very disjointed Cryptic and PWE...not working together and they may not allow cross over with tasks in this way.

OR the first player who finds the thread the Neverwinter Dev is keeping things updated on, could post the link here in the STO General Discussion, so other players could find and read it. You know, kinda like players helping players?

It would be much more productive use of everyone's time...than posting wishful thinking. Takes a lot less words, too.

++++++++++
    NEVERWINTER Dev updates:

http://forum.arcgames.com/neverwinter/discussion/1203025/

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    The talk of STO's weekend crew is reminding me way too much of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ApQrbhQp8

Regardless though, there's no excuse for no communication on the weekends. That's an MMO's busiest time and it should always be staffed.
    edited August 2015
    where2r1 wrote: »

Wait a frickin' minute....this isn't even from a DEV...it is a community moderator.
    He is PWE....just like Trendy. But he doesn't post community wide, like Trendy does?

So much for an "Arc Community".

And, again, nothing we can do about that.... other than pass useful information player to player.

• swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    trendy and taco are the only ones to actually try to keep in regular communication with us... been that way for a long while.

And Trendy's Gone! (on vacation.)
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    Why have the Devs of STO not released any statement about the server issue of the past two or three days.The Forums are littered with threads about bad servers or unable to connect.Most of the information that is floating in those threads has been coming form players doing their own investigations.The Neverwinter Forums have threads about the same issue but in those cases Neverwinter Devs have been posting information and keeping their players updated.This lack of information on the forums of STO was a problem before many months ago.For a while it seemed they had changed their ways and information on problems seemed to come quickly,but now there is a relapse and the players of STO are left in the dark again.In my opinion if players are informed of a problem as soon as it starts they will be more content to wait out the repairs with patience and understanding.Not informing the players only will make them more frustrated then they already are,and they will be more likely to abandon the game for another.

Never notice a server issue from my end over the weekend until I saw this post. However, I won't be an a## like others and said it never happened. The cogent issue is well documented and sorry for those who lagged or couldn't play.

http://katyonthehill.com/cogent-names-names-in-interconnection-tussles/​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User

What communication? There isnt any. At least for some important issues. The devs seem to prefer reddit forums anyway. Aparently becouse these forums are too much for them. Altho, no offence, thats just unprofesional. Again, no offence, but what are you - a 10 year old kid who is afraid to have his feelings hurt or a grown-up mature, professional game designer?

And leaving players in the dark is the usual practice on these forums. They have time and see some unimportant little "things", yet important issues and questions are left hanging to generate confuse and leave players in-doubt. Like players still dont know if the lobi store Temporal Warfare 3pc set skill called Temporal Inversion field not fully working on the latest promo ship Annorax is a bug or WAI? Its stated its a time ship... but is not?? Or that new fail condition from Bug Hunt Elite queue? It was stated, in the same patch that changed this, that elite queues were unchanged. And not even a single and simple answer yes/no if these are bugs or working as intended on the numerous bug reports and threads posted by the players...
    storules wrote: »

Never notice a server issue from my end over the weekend until I saw this post. However, I won't be an a## like others and said it never happened. The cogent issue is well documented and sorry for those who lagged or couldn't play.

http://katyonthehill.com/cogent-names-names-in-interconnection-tussles/​​

I've read that article a few times and it says the interconnection between Cogent and Comcast should be stronger than ever, even though most of the players affected seemed to have been Comcast customers.

Cogent screwed something up. They always do. It's been going on for years with this game and it's almost always a Cogent issue rather than a Cryptic issue.