test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Would you enjoy some type of "monster play" system in STO?

13»

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Hmm... TLDRx2

Try that again with less hyperbole, and make succinct points rather than rambling for,,,, *counts* .... 8 pages.
    Good luck on that. ​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    This system is now live in Champs, so check it out if you are interested. But keep in mind, this would be quite different in STO, as STO has no open social zone where PvP can take place, comparable to Millennium city.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,864 Arc User
    So kinda like Evolve? I wouldn't mind seeing something like that in PvP...could be fun.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    Actually, on the topic of pvp, I remember DCUO has it's legends pvp mode where you play as iconic characters like Superman or Lex Luthor, I guess this'd be kinda similar and it was fun sometimes. I mean I sucked at it, but at least I was losing because I sucked and not my gear.
    Good idea. And yes, the mechanics that could be used for this already exist in the game - specific reference made to those portions of missions where you're given a ship and boff layout for the duration. Such a PvP mode would, I imagine, offer a small set of ships to start with, and as you progress you unlock access to other ships - yes, even things like the temporal and intel ships) and higher tiers (with the matchmaking being such that you won't see, for instance, T5s facing off against T1s).

This could also work for a series of PvE challenge modes - the simplest of these being time trials which challenge you to clear through groups of ships as fast as possible, with clear times going to ship-specific leaderboards.
    angrybobh wrote: »
    I was thinking about this a couple of weeks back. The thought of playing a borg tactical cube vs 5 players is appealing to me...
    This is just what a colleague and I found ourselves musing not too long ago. The setup: 6 players, with one chosen at random to operate the tactical cube/Tarantula/equivalent; when it's taken out, the round resets, with one of the other players being chosen (also at random) to operate it this go-round - note that each player may be chosen once and only once by this algorithm. The match ends when all 6 have had their turn, with the winner being whoever racked up the most kills as the 'goliath'.

It might also be interesting to adapt an interesting twist Age of Wushu/Age of Wulin has available for spicing up those STFs: the 'assassin' mechanic (official article; wiki). To use The Vault: Ensnared as an example: a group of 5 would queue up as normal... but, unbeknownst to them, some of the Orb Weavers and Recluses guarding the unnamed Tarantula (the named, optional, one flies solo) are actually being operated by other players!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    That or maybe having a player take over as the boss in a red alert. :D

Also the Champs version shows you the NAME of the player you are fighting.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    We already have Kardassians do we need more monsters?
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • ladytiamat666ladytiamat666 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Yes, i want a monster play system, let's call it the Cardassian (mini-) faction.
    signature%201.jpg_zpsklpuyd7v.png
    OOH! Mirror BZ! We get to play our evil doppleganger. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    reminder from the book of the past in STO.

We did monster play. for most of the first 2 years of the game, If you player KDF it was essentially monster play as you had exactly 3 possible options for levelling a KDF toon. First was PvP, and there were some pvE nebula zones.. later the exploration zones got added, but basicly for the first 2 years of STO Kdf faction play was monster play. There was much dis-satisfaction about it. KDF Players were not what you would call thrilled about it. We had zip else to do. When Blue on Blue PvP was plugged in, we ended up with even less to do because the fed would not show up for Red v Blue PvP. I recall a saturday where I sat in a PvP que for 4 hours and nothing happened.

Monster play had been tried and has failed miserably in STO... let please not put people though that again any time soon.
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
    PvP is not monster play. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing