test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So with New Dawn announced, a new character emerges...

I have decided to start playing Feds again, I haven't played any of mine in a very long time. But I am going to start a new Fed toon and do something I haven't done in a very...VERY long time. Instead of flying through the missions and focusing on leveling I am going to pay attention to the story lines, read all the stuff and really get back into the fun of leveling and not the expectation of getting to max level.

However I can't think of of very many good hooks or backgrounds for my new toon. The one I did think of that I kind of like the idea of trying is to grab the TOS uniform and interior packs and making a Constitution from the TOS era that was flung forward in time and through universes from an alternate timeline. The back story would be that in an alternate timeline the Bajoran Wormhole was discovered by the Cardassians several years before it was found in the prime universe. During their experiments with it they screwed up, somehow, and one of their small scouts was hurled back to the TOS era Gamma quadrant. The ship was found by the Dominion of that time and upon learning of the wormhole the Founders decided to use what they had learned of the future to stage an attack on the Alpha and Beta quadrants decades before it was supposed to happen.

With their massive resources, the UFP and Klingon Empire still stuck in their cold war and no resistance the Dominion swept through the quadrants. It was pure dumb luck that one of their command ships was disabled by an ion storm and discovered by the crew of the U.S.S. Accipiter (a genus of Hawk native to Earth) while trying to get civilians out of the war zone. When the Captain learned what had happened he ordered his ship to the wormhole, however they journey took years as they had to frequently hide, run and sometimes fight. By the time they arrived the Federation, Klingon and Romulan Empires and many others had already fallen. In their arrogance the Dominion had left only a hand full of ship to guard the wormhole. Using the knowledge they had gained over the years the crew of the Accipiter tried to seal the wormhole, but they failed and were flung forward in time and space, only to emerge from the wormhole in the STO timeline.

While they are glad the Federation survives in this timeline and while they have joined it they refuse any help in the form of a new ship, weapons, or supplies. So many years surviving alone have convinced the crew they can do anything. They continue to use the Accipiter despite it being horribly out of date, they have of course upgraded her systems as much as possible. They also continue to wear the uniforms of their time and use the personal weapons they brought with them.

So technically they are from an alternate, alternate timeline. As you may have guessed I will be using my T1 Connie for the entire game, but I will be giving it my best crafted gear. The crew will be designed around what you would have seen in TOS, mainly human with an alien or two and they will wear the TOS uniforms. Once I am done the Devidian storyline I will have them using nothing but TOS hand phasers and the rifle. So it will be rough once I get further into the game but I think that will be half the fun!

That's just the one main idea I have been able to come up with. I am willing to entertain a different background and play style if someone comes up with something else I like.

Comments

• kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited August 2015
    Well, its an interesting concept, and would be fun for a tabletop RPG. I don't put a whole lot beyond a sketch into most of my characters since RP in a video game never worked for me but here's a couple ex from my own Feds, most of which are dead now(deleted). Perhaps you'll find bits here n there to inspire ya.

Andorian Tac - Joined Starfleet against her family's tradition because of the Klingon-Federation war. She felt the Imperial Guard was little more than a hollow show piece, flying around remembering the 'good old days' when Andorians were a power. She wanted more, and kicking Klingons in the face sounded far more appealing than practicing Parade formations in vessels that never saw any real action.

1/2 Vulcan(Alien) Tac later redone as a Sci - Independent Captain, never bothered with Surak's teachings preferred the thrills one could get on their own. The UFP of course called him a pirate and wanted him imprisoned. Then things went upside down and the Iconians(originally it was the Klingon war which I expected Starfleet was loosing badly) showed up. Suddenly the Federation couldn't care less about him or his crew. More than that, though, everything was a target to them, this wasn't a game of cat n mouse with the law, and it wasn't a straight up fight like the Klingons brought. The stakes were survival or extinction. So he arranged to beam himself into Tom Paris's office despite the layers of security there and drop his resume.... now he's on the same side as everyone else... and it chafes...

Caitian Tac - This one was more trope-ish, young n dumb and wanted 'adventure' and 'excitement' but Uhura wasn't around to shove a phaser in his nose and temper that. (this alt was also the first to experience the revamped fed tutorial) Needless to say his first voyage coming out of the Academy gave him his fill of both. Instead of dropping it there tho, Elisa pointed out that something else came of that trip. Everyone was lost and he pulled em through, and even impressed a Vulcan doing it. That altered 'something' inside him and he decided to see what else there was.

Human Eng - For this one I took inspiration from Wrex and Mordin from Mass Effect. A grumpy, oft violent, jaded brawler with a talent for machines. He has do have his hands in it all because "Someone else will scr ew it up." He didn't care for the big chair too often but couldn't give it up and return to the engine room because, again, "Someone else will scr ew it up." Most of his free time, he spends in the Jefferies tubes fixing, modifying, or optimizing something. (I gave this guy drone modules and generators since he was all about making/fixing machines)
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    abaddon653 wrote: »
    I have decided to start playing Feds again, I haven't played any of mine in a very long time. But I am going to start a new Fed toon and do something I haven't done in a very...VERY long time. Instead of flying through the missions and focusing on leveling I am going to pay attention to the story lines, read all the stuff and really get back into the fun of leveling and not the expectation of getting to max level.

Though I complain about everything in STO... I do have to admit that most of the story based mission arcs aren't horrible. To me, the best thing Cryptic could do would be a ton of good story missions instead of 'GRIND THIS' events for a new ship that, for most, will sit at spacedock holding excess weapons/equipment so bank space isn't used.

• abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    Heh, thought of another potential hook for a new Fed. Anyone remember a little game called Away Team? Not one of the more heavily played games but I had it and enjoyed it well enough. So I had the thought of making a Section 31 based ship and crew, thanks in part to the Section 31 uniform gift...which I oddly enough got on my 31st birthday last week. The ship(s) I would use would be the Akira and it's variants, mainly because I love them, I know the Phantom would be more suitable, but I prefer the Akira line.

Anyway the "Away Team" hook comes in the form of all the freaking latinum purchased holo disguises I have laying around. So the theme for my crew would be "sneaky TRIBBLE" They do anything they can to keep their involvement with the UFP off the records and of course they would all wear the Section 31 uniforms.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Leveling through the game exclusively with the T1 Constitution has been done before. Not sure if anyone took up the cause since Delta Rising, though.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.