test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If Star Trek did a new show, where and when should it be set with what theme?

13»

Comments

• wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    It might be interesting to confine our heroes to one planet for a series, or at least for a season. It could be either a colony or one alien planet such as Romulus/New Romulus; but at the same time, tell the writers it's all the usual kinds of stories that are wanted, not just "Romulan stories" - strange monsters, diplomatic crises, mystery plagues, time travel, unwise inventions, whatever; they just have to carry it all out on that one planet. That would force the writers to get past the "Planet of Hats" thing. It'd also perhaps make things seem a little more critical because the viewers could get more attached to that one planet. And there'd be more opportunity for some consequences to carry over from one episode to another, if the writers wished.

I suppose DS9 did that with Bajor to an extent, from what I've heard; but I've not seen DS9. How did it work out there? Of course, it wasn't ALL Bajor, they were playing off Bajor against Cardassia and the Dominion, so there'd be enough division of labour there that the Hats could be maintained.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,437 Arc User
    DS9 actually avoided Planet of Hats pretty well - most Bajorans are very religious, because of course it's hard not to be when you can get in a spaceship and go see where your gods live, but as you might have noticed here on Earth that doesn't mean they all believe in their faith in the same way. Cardassian society is all about order, but individual Cardassians pursue that goal in their own ways, leading up to a rebellion against the existing Cardassian goverment in the last few episodes (led by former officers of the military, no less!), because the rebels believed that the government's working with the Dominon was deleterious to good order. Even the Klingons got a good working-over, although the fact that Worf was following some sort of idealized version of "Klingon Honor" while actual Klingon society was more of a realpolitik affair was left pretty much as subtext.

(Sisko also had a marvelous speech in one episode, in which he got to hang the Hat on Humans. You can watch it here - no spoilers involved!)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    Yeah, it's Star Trek, having a home base is one thing, but never leaving? nope.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    jonsills wrote: »
    DS9 actually avoided Planet of Hats pretty well - most Bajorans are very religious, because of course it's hard not to be when you can get in a spaceship and go see where your gods live, but as you might have noticed here on Earth that doesn't mean they all believe in their faith in the same way. Cardassian society is all about order, but individual Cardassians pursue that goal in their own ways, leading up to a rebellion against the existing Cardassian goverment in the last few episodes (led by former officers of the military, no less!), because the rebels believed that the government's working with the Dominon was deleterious to good order. Even the Klingons got a good working-over, although the fact that Worf was following some sort of idealized version of "Klingon Honor" while actual Klingon society was more of a realpolitik affair was left pretty much as subtext.

(Sisko also had a marvelous speech in one episode, in which he got to hang the Hat on Humans. You can watch it here - no spoilers involved!)
    Don't forget, Worf was not raised by Klingons, but among Humans... His knowledge of Klingon culture came from research, not immersion. Look how out of place he was in TNG when they ran into the other Klingons... He was always just a beat behind them in everything they did... Worf was 'as Klingon' as Carlton Banks 'was black': in race only, not in spirit. It was a good character point and it was nicely handled, up until the point where they had Worf commanding Klingon ships during the war. Other Klingons would likely have seen him with contempt. His family's political standing came and went with the tide, rather than enduring adversity, so realistically, he would never have commanded their respect to serve beneath him, and would likely have been assassinated in a corridor, had Plot allowed it to happen ;)
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    I think that Worf was partially shielded by the fact that he was Martok's right-hand man. Many Klingons in the KDF would refrain from attacking Worf out of fear of/respect for Martok.
    Also, most of them had probably heard how he killed Duras in a duel of Honor.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    I think that Worf was partially shielded by the fact that he was Martok's right-hand man. Many Klingons in the KDF would refrain from attacking Worf out of fear of/respect for Martok.
    I think this was very much the case B)

Also, most of them had probably heard how he killed Duras in a duel of Honor.
    Oh for sure, Worf knew how to handle himself in a fight (look how he whooped Drex in Quark's) but in terms of Being A Klingon, he was just a wannabe student of the culture, as per my Carlton Banks example... He wasn't appropriating the culture, because it was his birthright, but he certainly didn't live it the way other Klingons did, and in episodes like that TNG example, or when he, Sisko and O'Brien went undercover as Klingons, it showed ;)
    Don't forget you're ALREADY on an alien world, though. And that it doesn't mean the scene will be at all the same every time - because planets are enormous. (You may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but... :) ) The idea was to show a little love for the fact that planets ARE enormous (while still allowing a few things to reappear in different episodes, like having aliens reappear rather than the entire species just being "Alien of the week" who you'll never see again.) One week legendary alien monster in the heart of the desert, next week dastardly deeds in the capital city, after that secret underground base... Loads of worlds to explore.
    Also, you could say the same about Doctor Who and they did it, successfully by all accounts though I haven't seen that series of it.

(Also, that came out as an excessively snarky way of putting it, like you're saying "Yeah, well obviously THAT's stupid". Don't know if you're aware of that.)
    wombat140 wrote: »
    Don't forget you're ALREADY on an alien world, though. And that it doesn't mean the scene will be at all the same every time - because planets are enormous. (You may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but... :) ) The idea was to show a little love for the fact that planets ARE enormous (while still allowing a few things to reappear in different episodes, like having aliens reappear rather than the entire species just being "Alien of the week" who you'll never see again.) One week legendary alien monster in the heart of the desert, next week dastardly deeds in the capital city, after that secret underground base... Loads of worlds to explore.
    Also, you could say the same about Doctor Who and they did it, successfully by all accounts though I haven't seen that series of it.

(Also, that came out as an excessively snarky way of putting it, like you're saying "Yeah, well obviously THAT's stupid". Don't know if you're aware of that.)
    Hmm, clearly I chose my words poorly.

My point was that traveling between stars is an integral part of Star Trek..... It's kinda the NAME of the TV show. :p It's one of the things people griped at DS9's early episodes for. Having a home planet that you often explore is a nice idea, but it'd kinda fall flat if they never go off-planet.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    True, something in what you say.
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    wombat140 wrote: »
    Don't forget you're ALREADY on an alien world, though. And that it doesn't mean the scene will be at all the same every time - because planets are enormous. (You may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but... :) ) The idea was to show a little love for the fact that planets ARE enormous (while still allowing a few things to reappear in different episodes, like having aliens reappear rather than the entire species just being "Alien of the week" who you'll never see again.)

Quite. Most heavily populated worlds ought to be on the same scale as the whole Earth with all of its history and cultures and landscapes (give or take a factor of 2-3).