test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is fleet ground gear worth it?

I'm looking to set up a new ground build for my current main, and as I've recently joined a fleet, I've been eyeing some of the weapons and gear you can get, especially the elite ones. My problem is I tend to be bad at judging what modifiers are good and which ones aren't, so I don't really have a good feel for if I should get fleet stuff or if I should try to buy something off the exchange, or from one of the reputation stores, or if I should just hold out and see what kind of rewards I get from some of the later Delta quadrant missions I haven't gotten to yet. Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

Comments

• koraheaglecrykoraheaglecry Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    I use the Elite Phasers because I like the visual design of the weapons themselves. Very futuristic and not cartoonish like many others. I could probably do much better DPS with other weapons and better modifiers but I can cut through the mobs on the ground rather easily with the Elite Phasers well enough to not notice any real issues.

If youre not worried about min-maxing your ground game. You could probably do far worse then the Elite Phasers. Personally I use the Reputation Armor and Shields but thats because I like to take advantage of some of the mods that come with them over what I saw in the Fleet Stores.
  • grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    I use the elite fleet ground gear on my character and gave all my Mk XII rep gear to my ground Boffs. My ground gear is still Ultra Rare Mk XIV but serves me well (have no desire right now to get it to epic - but might try since I got my ship to all epic).

I'd say Fleet gear is still some of the best regardless of the rep and crafted stuff. Elite Shields both ground and space are still competitive if not some of the best. I'd say you won't be disappointed that's for sure.

Rep gear will last you to level 60 and beyond. Fleet gear will last you to level 60 and beyond. It really will.

I say if your not sure just go with fleet gear and use it and have fun, eventually as you learn more on mods you'll know exactly what you need. But fleet gear is kind of like fool proof for most situations.
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    It all depends on your play style, me personally I'd always swear by the Maco three piece set, partnered with a advanced fleet pulse wave CritD/KB3 modifiers where possible. Fleet gear was a excellent stop gap measure, but none the less great to use on a permanent basis. Me personally, aside from the odd bit of Rep/Store gear I've moved away from a lot of it, instead going back to look at items I originally considered worthless.

The key is to figure out how you want to play on ground, and then to understand your build. Then you can start to develop it from there. But Like Deokkent says about the Recoil Compensating Armor having a 80% increase in severity, sounds nice. But if you don't have the Critical hit chance needed to exploit that increase in severity then your never going to get the best from it. Same goes if your constantly dying on the ground, your not going to performing to your maximum capabilities, and won't be contributing your full potential to any team oriented runs you do and at worse they'll end up carrying you through missions, as I see all to often in pug runs.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    deokkent wrote: »
    Kits are awesome.
    Their modules are awesome too.
    Nanites shields are out of this world.
    Armor recoil critd, 80% crit severity: nuff said.

Nanite shield?

​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    questerius wrote: »
    Kits are awesome.
    Their modules are awesome too.
    Nanites shields are out of this world.
    Armor recoil critd, 80% crit severity: nuff said.

Nanite shield?
    Good eye, nanite armors :).

I have one of those and the adaptive shielding.

Strangely enough i tend to go with the rep and reward sets. Maco is nice, but so are omega and counter command.
    Solo'd the Big Dig with each and every one.

Favourite is the intel kit/elachi lobi pistol combo though. Hitting multiple foes for 1200 damage as an engineer is quite nice.

​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2015
    I only really use rep gear for me and my BOFFs (I give them my castoffs when I move on to a new rep) but the Fleet guns do look so pretty. No holo c.rap on the Fed guns and no bloody spikes on the KDF stuff. ​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    I have to admit that, after looking at the stats and effects, i decided not to use the ground gear from the iconian rep.
    I just couldn't be bothered with it and that was even without taking the awful graphics into account. ​​
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    Fleet advanced armor is very powerful. Even though the Elite armor with nanites looks nice, I get better results with Adapted Maco Shield&weapon (as secondary only) and advanced armor with CrtD (though CrtH isnt bad either). As primary weapon TR116b (vs. borg and elachi) or any fastfiring weapon (like dual pistols for style, or a normal rifle) against other enemies.​​
  • dakkalvar1dakkalvar1 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    Fleet armor is the only way I see to get armor with +80 Crtd. I don't see anything else you can't get better rep gear for.
  • saleh01onesaleh01one Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    As others have said, Elite Fleet Weapons are great because they look much better than their Advanced Fleet/Normal counterparts. You don't get the "best" mods, but on ground, there are tons of ways to boost your CritH and CritD with devices (Gambling Device), armors, kits, and traits.
    Markus Elijah Lee - USS Skylake, Fleet Arbiter Battlecruiser T6: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=ussskylake_8710

K'Nor - IKS Ch'Tang, Mat'Ha Raptor T6: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=ikschtang_8710
  • katyusha454katyusha454 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    saleh01one wrote: »
    As others have said, Elite Fleet Weapons are great because they look much better than their Advanced Fleet/Normal counterparts.

Yeah, to be honest one of the reasons I'm considering fleet gear is the weapons are so pretty. :P I basically saw them in the display case on the starbase and went OOOOH SHINY GUNS GIVE THEM TO ME. But I wanted to be sure I wasn't going to end up wasting all my fleet credits on stuff that was pretty but sub-par.

• dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    My ground gear is still Ultra Rare Mk XIV but serves me well

Jesus man! What type of gear addict are you that UR Mk14 gets words like 'still' and 'serves me well' are used? :/

Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    sqwished wrote: »
    The key is to figure out how you want to play on ground, and then to understand your build. Then you can start to develop it from there. But Like Deokkent says about the Recoil Compensating Armor having a 80% increase in severity, sounds nice. But if you don't have the Critical hit chance needed to exploit that increase in severity then your never going to get the best from it. Same goes if your constantly dying on the ground, your not going to performing to your maximum capabilities, and won't be contributing your full potential to any team oriented runs you do and at worse they'll end up carrying you through missions, as I see all to often in pug runs.

Like Sqwished says, really depends on your profession and build for how you approach ground in the first place. Not building right isn't an automatic death sentence as far as capability is concerned, after all teamwork and experience is always going to be the key.

Personally, I've only brought a handful of fleet weapons in my time and absolutely no armour or shields as far as the ground store goes, most of it is just pretty underwhelming. Some of them have interesting procs like the nanite and adapt ones that are quite powerful and keep you alive, though only to a small extent especially the adapt proc that only works as long as you can keep the shield up.

Just as an example, the adapt proc on the shield will only be useful for someone who can keep their personal shield up, so Engineers would probably get a lot more out of it than other classes. A tac can use a shield okay with the right equipment (two-piece maco and some shield charges) though its very limited. Therefore I would ask, if you're not an Engineer, how likely are you to get any meaningful use out of the adapt proc?
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • jerichoredoranjerichoredoran Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    For ground shields there are two best ones: Omega and Shattering Harmonics, both due to their 30% (40% at MK XIt) dodge. If you decide to not go with them the only good reasoning performance wise would be for set bonuses and The fleet shields have non, so...

The Advanced Recoil Compensating Armor is the to-go for high DPS builds. Due to its low protection its not the best starter though and it might backfire again when grouping with low performance groups. So get this one but keep a more defensive one in reserve in case the STF doesnt run that smooth.

There are some special kits in the fleet stores, e.g. a (spire) Science kit that can feature 5 research modules, something you wont find anywhere else. So depending on your module choice they are very valid too.

Haven't looked into fleet guns yet so nothing to say about that. Just the two recent Ico mission guns (Chroniton Split Beam and something Tetryon Full Auto) serve very well so I dont see much use for other guns again apart from set bonuses and the TR-116b. (maybe a pulsewave if you like that)

Edit: Dont get that wrong it's not about be or not to be. These fleet items will work fine too :)