test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

2nd slotable Omni - Directional Beam for Phaser, Disruptor, Plasma, Tetryon, Polaron Energy Types

bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
Hello Cryptic

Could you please allow us to slot two Omni - Directional Beams for the energy types that are not Antiproton.

Thanks
Bridger.png
Post edited by bridgern on

Comments

• Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    Yeah, would be really nice to let the other types catch up a bit to AP. Srsly it has so strong advantages over the others it's not even funny anymore.
    But since it's been requested since we got the 2x360 AP combo I won't hold my breath.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,320 Arc User
    Why? Are you married to omni directional beams?
    The frenzy about slotting multiple omni directional beam arrays is getting beyond ridiculous. It's a bloody ship and it can move.

If you want to turret your ship and equip it with all 360 degree weapons then use turrets.​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    questerius wrote: »
    The frenzy about slotting multiple omni directional beam arrays is getting beyond ridiculous. It's a bloody ship and it can move.

If you want to turret your ship and equip it with all 360 degree weapons then use turrets.​​

At the moment builds where you have four DBB in the front and three Omni-Directional's (including Kinetic Cutting Beam) do only work with Antiprotons at the moment and second cannon abilities do not trigger the Plasma Explosions from the Sci Consoles.

Bridger.png
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Allowing 2 omni beams would be nice indeed.

That or instead of the Ancient Omni Beam having to be Anti-Proton, let us choose 1 of the damage type we use so that all energy types have the same advantage.

Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    bridgern wrote: »

If you want to turret your ship and equip it with all 360 degree weapons then use turrets.

At the moment builds where you have four DBB in the front and three Omni-Directional's (including Kinetic Cutting Beam) do only work with Antiprotons at the moment and second cannon abilities do not trigger the Plasma Explosions from the Sci Consoles.

And are those DBB/omni builds the only allowed build? Or are they the only viable build?
    Do you long for the old DHC/turret days that badly that you want to emulate them with beams? O wait, beams don't have a drop off.

Seriously folks, use that grey matter between your ears and stop staring at a long gone full DBB/Omni build.

​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

And are those DBB/omni builds the only allowed build? Or are they the only viable build?

​​

No, who said they were?

Right now, users of one type of energy are allowed to use 2 of these beams while everyone else can only use one. The OP is asking that this be re-evaluated to put all energy types on equal footing. If people want to play DBB/Omni builds then they should be able to. I have one of my ships built this way, and I rather enjoy it. I don't however, want to have to be stuck with AP just because I like this one particular build. It's a very simple and reasonable request.

No need to get all hostile and angry over it, if you don't like the idea.. say why exactly. Just because 'you're sick of it' isn't really a viable reason. The OP isn't exactly asking for the moon here.

Take a breath.. relax. :)
  • Options

No, who said they were?

Right now, users of one type of energy are allowed to use 2 of these beams while everyone else can only use one. The OP is asking that this be re-evaluated to put all energy types on equal footing. If people want to play DBB/Omni builds then they should be able to. I have one of my ships built this way, and I rather enjoy it. I don't however, want to have to be stuck with AP just because I like this one particular build. It's a very simple and reasonable request.

No need to get all hostile and angry over it, if you don't like the idea.. say why exactly. Just because 'you're sick of it' isn't really a viable reason. The OP isn't exactly asking for the moon here.

Take a breath.. relax. :)

The double omni for AP is allowed simply because one is crafted and one is a reward for a FE.

If/when another omni beam is added as a FE reward I'm sure we'll get to see an option to equip two omni beams, but until that time all the nagging about using multiple omni beams (correction multiple crafted omni beams) is beyond ridiculous.

​​
  • Options
    We want some kind of equality among energy types. It's bs that only AP can slot 2 omnibeams
    Allowing 2 omni beams would be nice indeed.

That or instead of the Ancient Omni Beam having to be Anti-Proton, let us choose 1 of the damage type we use so that all energy types have the same advantage.

This would be great.
    They wouldn't even need to touch the set bonus, just the having different beam variants would be more than enough.
  • Options
    Alright, fair enough. I guess I'm just not seeing all these threads asking for this. Seemed like a reasonable request to me.
  • Options
    Instead of advocating the usage of multiple omnibeams and thereby effectively rendering every other weapon type in the game obsolete, should the focus not be on balancing the omni beams?

Best solution would be to allow only one of them on a ship at any time. Because of the FE omni beam and the crafting system this solution was pretty much dead on arrival.

Second best is to either increase the energy usage of an omni beam two or three fold and/or reduce it's effective range to something like 5 Km.

Bottom line is that the current balance between various weapon types would be even further demolished if the use of multiple copies of omni beams were allowed.​​
  • Options
    Omni-Directional Beams are not the problem, the problem is BFAW as it is not only broken and triggering the plasma expositions left right and center but it is also the only ability triggering plasma expositions.
    Bridger.png
  • Options
    chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    My fourth has the ancient and an antiproton. I don't think I need more than that.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Even if they don't fix it yet making the plasma explosions work with CRF or CSW would be a good start.
    Bridger.png
  • Options
    Even if they don't fix it yet making the plasma explosions work with CRF or CSW would be a good start.

Why not have some fun and have them ONLY work with cannon abilities.

​​
  • Options

Did they even acknowledge this problem yet?
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Why not have some fun and have them ONLY work with cannon abilities.​​

Because this would hurt people playing engineering and science way harder than it would hurt a tac.

Bridger.png
  • Options

Did they even acknowledge this problem yet?

I hope so.

Bridger.png
  • Options

Because this would hurt people playing engineering and science way harder than it would hurt a tac.

Well, it could bring back some golden oldies such as turret/single cannon builds on cruisers and science. I know i have an ambassador with SC/turret setup and it is absolutely SWEEEEEEET.​​
  • Options
    comdrivercomdriver Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    may be ancient omni beam is ancient enough to be ancient ADAPTIVE omni beam? it could change energy damage type by right click menu and USE on it. or use crafting system instead - ancient beam + special something +reasonable amount of dil = beam of your type.​​
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »

​​

This. Might encourage some to consider using cannons instead of relying on beams/BFAW as the be-all-end-all.

Than we would have the exact same situations as we have it now but instead of beams and BFAW it would be just with cannons and CRF and CSV, there need to be a solution for both.
    Bridger.png
  • Options
    kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    It is high time to show the other 5 that they require attention too. The fact that the "ancient loophole" as I like to call it allows you to slot a 2nd AP beam on the same ship doesn't make it right, it just makes it a "legitimate exploit".
  • Options
    lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    Simple...Add ANcient Omni beams for each type in the FE, then add versions for Lock Box/ Rep weapons in the subsequent areas.
    HzLLhLB.gif

• Options
    So Borticus dealt with the problems of plasma explosions, http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1198746/plasma-explosion-embassy-consoles-bfaw-crits/p1 now we only need the omni-beams ;)
    Bridger.png
  • Options
    now we only need the omni-beams ;)

Or not. Personally i prefer the latter.
    ​​
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Ok, yeah, maybe they should leave the omni-beam situation alone....srsly it will only get worse once they lay their hands on them.

As usual Cryptic's fix for plasma explosions was: removing the chance to crit altogether instead of regualting the crit damage and that only faw could crit at all. So much for a "fix"....

Really makes me afraid for when they finally take care of the ground/space trait situation.
  • Options
    To scare you even more Bort is going to present a new system in Vegas.
    Bridger.png
  • Options

Great... loadouts 2.0 now with traits...... :s
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User

Great... loadouts 2.0 now with traits...... :s

Call me a daydreamer but I think they will get that one right. :#

My biggest fear is that they will simplify our character sheets (lvl 0 - 50). Just imagine how many nerfs could go along with it especially addressing endgame consoles like the plasmonic leech or expensive traits like inspirational leader. :(
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    Stuff like the leech and some traits are probably safe though. They've been here for years untouched and by nerfing items like the leech they will cut their own profits since it really still is the most sought after console.
    Would be really interesting how many tal shiar boxes are still being opened during the box events, probably a lot I'd guess.
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    Instead of advocating the usage of multiple omnibeams and thereby effectively rendering every other weapon type in the game obsolete, should the focus not be on balancing the omni beams?

Best solution would be to allow only one of them on a ship at any time. Because of the FE omni beam and the crafting system this solution was pretty much dead on arrival.

Second best is to either increase the energy usage of an omni beam two or three fold and/or reduce it's effective range to something like 5 Km.

Bottom line is that the current balance between various weapon types would be even further demolished if the use of multiple copies of omni beams were allowed.​​

You are obviously aware of the fact that two AP omni beam arrays can be used on the same ship, having stated as much. Now, I like AP as much as the next player, but I generally prefer plasma (there are exceptions, such as on my R'Mor and my Talvath), as I tend to play Romulans more than any other species. When we can already use two AP omni arrays on the same ship, I'm not sure how allowing mere variety in the type of energy used would result in any more damage to balance.