test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The next major arc - a 5 year mission

Wouldn't that be fun times? With all the gateways/dyson spheres it would be an easy move to have a "forward ops base" in an unexplored part of space. You could appeal to the spirit of exploration - have first contact missions, get stuck in wars between species, and even have old enemies around (Oh my, you have the borg as well? Yeah we aren't really scared of them anymore).
Just like Kirk and crew in the old series, they still "come home" now and again during the big mission to play wargames with supercomputers or whatever.

Comments

• lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,861 Arc User
    Considering it took what 4 years to just move from 2409 to 2410...I guess this should last the game another 20 years? Sorry couldn't resist :P

But on a more serious note they could do something like that about are the capable of it? Lots of places including the possibility of somewhere like the Andromeda galaxy...
  • dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    Why would I want this? My characters are already lvl 60 - I don't need any new lvl content, we got enough of that.
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    And if it follows the pattern of TOS, it will last 3 years before they shut it down? Just kidding; I actually like the idea, as it gets away from the desperate churn of the current development cycle, and allows for open-ended releases and out-of-the-box thinking for missions & gameplay.
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • SanoSano Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Sure you'll get your 5-year-mission...

They just make a short "start it all"-mission then there will be a 4year-364-day-doff mission and a small "the end"-animation that you cant skip when its done
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited July 2015
    Sano wrote: »
    Sure you'll get your 5-year-mission...

They just make a short "start it all"-mission then there will be a 4year-364-day-doff mission and a small "the end"-animation that you cant skip when its done
    you forgot to liberally sprinkle with "patrol" missions that are nothing more than 'kill 5 waves'
    More on topic tho, the general idea is quite sound but I'd rather see them turn around and spend next year working on existing areas... finish the city in New Romulus, give Qo'Nos an update, maybe revisit existing planets again... Hey is Nimbus still progressing or it it a criminal run hell hole again?
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Lets just have a big update on exploration and add a nice arc about exploration non combat focused missions and call it season 11.

Seriously. Star Trek is about exploration, explosions are a sidepoint.

I want a whole mission arc based on New Romulus style gameplay, where combat is secondary to the main objective, and might not occur at all. Give us lots of nifty dialouge, with options affected by multiple factors, like Faction, Faction Alliance (if romulan) Diplomacy tier (all 4 tiers implemented) CHOSEN player rank (with a rank system update, as I described players choosing their rank once earned,) maybe even some technical situations affected by career choice.

Bring back random explorations, but with an update improving variety and mechanics.

I think that would be a lot better recieved among us trek fans than delta rising or Iconian war if implemented correctly.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • straden0straden0 Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    As much as I want to agree with exploration, there's only so many things they can do with that and I think they actually did really try to.

Think about it: "Map the Oleg system and scan strange anomalies".

Lets say that 20 mins goes by, no strange anomalies, no "engage 5 waves", nothing. You fly through space to all the waypoints and clear the fog on your map. Mission complete.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I dont know of any MMO that singles out exploration as a major function. Sure there are games that give you xp for it, and seeing landscapes appeal to plenty.. But space, the Final Frontier, is vast and much of it is empty.

I'm rambling here, but like I said, they tried to do it, you discover a system, go to the planet, they want/need 10 provisions, you replicate and you're out in less than 10 mins, most dont even read the dialogue, they just go for the xp.

The way this game is designed, its for blowing stuff up, plain and simple. Raids? Yeah, I'd like a more immersive raid system set up with the story to keep you in along the way, they even tried that too with the Borg STFs.. Maybe its a limitation/game design issue, who knows..

Ah well, I do wish there was a way to make the Trek fans and MMO fans happy with this game.. I really do.
  • f9thretxcf9thretxc Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    I have to admit, I kind of like the idea. and to be honest, they could set it up with the ongoing story line. Us heading to the Andromeda galaxy with our alliance, (which could provide a great opportunity for alliance ships with multiple seatings, ie. Pilot and command, or Int and pilot. )

A small foot hold there, new alien races, they could open up more assets to the foundry peeps, for random encounters. The exploration of the unknown. Of course, it may just be a pipe dream I have, but if done correctly, it could bring back the feel of exploration and diplomacy. I could see a lot of potential in such a move.

The draw back is, there have been people waiting for the Cardassian stuff for a long time now, and it would be unfair to them. I know they are also redoing that arc, along with the Breen stuff. I believe in a pod cast they even mentioned a big Borg idea they had coming.

Still, a chance to be someplace with just us big three as a group, going into the unknown. I would love the opportunity.​​
    My mother always told me to walk away from a fight, The Marines taught me how.