test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Space tourism - we may have a problem...

wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
edited July 2015 in Ten Forward
Commercial space projects - SpaceX, Virgin Galactic, everyone - seem to be constantly in the news lately. I recently came across this article, from the usually reliable SGR:
Flights from Sense

I'd recommend reading the article, but the gist is that, while Virgin Galactic's claim that their space flights don't give off that much CO2 seems to be true, there's a potentially much worse problem: "black carbon particles" (soot, essentially) getting into the stratosphere. All combustion engines give out black carbon and it's one of the factors included in climate models, because since it's black it absorbs sunlight, but normally it's removed by rain within weeks. But in the stratosphere, there's no rain and next to no exchange of air with other levels of the atmosphere - so if black carbon gets there, it's there for years, not weeks - which means it would just keep building up. According to the only modelling study that's been done so far, 1000 launches a year (the level the industry itself is eventually hoping for) would have as much effect on global warming as the ENTIRE aviation industry. As one of the professors who worked on the study puts it: “there’s one issue and it’s simple: you don’t want to put black carbon in the stratosphere. Period.”

Bit worrying. What's especially worrying is I haven't heard of anyone else particularly looking into this further, nor mentioning doing anything about it if it is true. What's everyone make of this?

That reminds me, does anyone know what's the latest about the "space elevator"? I haven't heard any news for a while. That would solve this particular special problem neatly, because you could just winch your spacecraft through the stratosphere and past the danger level. You'd still need a power source for the winch, but at least that would be on the ground - and anyway, that could potentially be run off (renewable) electricity, which a spacecraft engine currently can't. Also, what you'd be doing, if you think about it, is building a railway into space... and that is, slice it how you like, amazing, isn't it?

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    Latest on space elevators is that we don't have a strong-and-light enough material yet. (There's also the problem of a counterweight, because every time you talk about moving asteroids around near Earth, people start throwing around words like "dinosaur-killer", because of course ballistics isn't a science or anything, but the material for the tower is the real show-stopper.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Is "the entire aviation industry" actually a relevant figure for world-wide CO2 levels?

Or isn't a much bigger part of CO2 coming from coal and oil plants as well as a regular ground traffic?​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Latest on space elevators is that we don't have a strong-and-light enough material yet. (There's also the problem of a counterweight, because every time you talk about moving asteroids around near Earth, people start throwing around words like "dinosaur-killer", because of course ballistics isn't a science or anything, but the material for the tower is the real show-stopper.)

Is the current thought that carbon nanotubules won't do the trick once we learn how to make them in the necessary quantities? Or is that (not being able to make carbon nanotubules that well) the hangup?

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    Nanotubules are fine for their uses - but at better than 22,000 statute miles due up, "nano" isn't quite the right scale.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    The long-term solution for the black carbon issue would be to use a propellant (fuel) that generates less black carbon than the polyamide plastic that is currently being used for SpaceShip Two.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    people bich about this bich about that with all the biching and procrastinating humanity is doing i doubt we will EVER explore the galaxy let alone get to mars beyond rovers.

Oh no its to dangerous to go , well thats what they said in the age of sail when people like columbus went to find the orient and discoverd cuba.

at somepoint we need to stop biching and complaining procrastinating and just nut up and do it or just shut up and drop the whole space exploration idea.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    at somepoint we need to stop biching and complaining procrastinating and just nut up and do it or just shut up and drop the whole space exploration idea.

Preferably the former.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    MustrumRidcully: You're right, actually. According to Wikipedia, aviation is only something like 4% of the total effect on global warming (though it's increasing a lot). So I don't know how serious that actually is. I can only say that scientists and governments seem to take emissions from aircraft very seriously, so if that's a serious issue then so is this.

JoranTomalak and Dalolorn: The difference is, Columbus and his fellow explorers were only risking their own lives (and frequently losing them), and that was their look-out. Whereas this is risking the lives of people everywhere who have no say in the matter. Do we have a right to do that? Anyway, from all I've heard, most of this has nothing to do with "space exploration", it's just taking rich people on day trips up to 110km (definitely not unexplored territory, not even as high as the ISS or a communications satellite) and down again. I know the argument is that it's good practice for rocket-builders, but it seems a pretty drastic cost just for practice...

As a species, it won't kill us to wait to explore more of space until we can do it without jeopardising our own planet - whereas if we muck up our atmosphere any worse than we have to, that really will kill people. I'm sure if Aliens-of-the-Week were doing that in a Star Trek episode, the Enterprise crew would be tearing their hair out :D That's the thing about sci-fi, of course - you can look at a planet and say "oh yes, obviously they should be doing this or that", but in real life, nobody's planning the whole planet!

As Clari says, better rocket fuels - or more exotic kinds of propulsion, ion engines and so forth - would be the theoretical solution. The Apollo rockets burned kerosene, which still means CO2 but less black carbon - dunno how much. Wonder if anyone's done better yet?
    wombat140 wrote: »
    As Clari says, better rocket fuels - or more exotic kinds of propulsion, ion engines and so forth - would be the theoretical solution. The Apollo rockets burned kerosene, which still means CO2 but less black carbon - dunno how much. Wonder if anyone's done better yet?

Liquid hydrogen/oxygen fueled rockets are a mature technology (e.g. the second and third stages of the Saturn V rocket used it, as did the Space Shuttle), and that's about as non-polluting as you can get with rockets, the only exhaust being superheated water vapor and a few ions thereof. The main issues with using it is 1) that liquid hydrogen needs to be kept supercold (20 degrees above absolute zero), which means that the tanks must have a lot of bulky and heavy insulation and can only be fueled within a matter of hours before launch, and 2) that hydrogen, being the least dense element, takes up eight times as much tank space per mass as hydrocarbon fuel, so you need really BIG fuel tanks.
    I wonder if the progress that's been made, and is expected to be made in future, with other means of hydrogen storage for hydrogen-fuelled cars would be relevant to that at all? Soaking it up in graphene, etc. Maybe rockets would need more hydrogen more quickly than those things can provide, but I don't know!
  • k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    CO2? Rockets use fossil fuel? Ithought they use liquid hydrogen and something else to mix...
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
    edited July 2015
    See above. Anything that emits a good lot of gas as it burns can propel a rocket, in theory. The Apollo rockets used liquid hydrogen and oxygen for most of the journey, but kerosene for the first stage because burning liquid hydrogen is a precarious business - probably even more so then - and they didn't want to risk it until the rocket was clear of Earth in case there was an explosion. Soyuz and the other rockets still in use by government space agencies use kerosene only. The new commercial rockets of SpaceX etc. burn rubber or plastic as fuel - more convenient to handle, but, as mentioned above, absolutely filthy.

(I got most of this off Wikipedia, more information there https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_fuel , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket . Turns out to be an interesting topic. )
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Give us a few 100 years before worrying about human caused global warming, we'll get there eventually.
    I'm more worried about the carbon polluting the rest of the world after making its way down from the upper atmosphere (if it's not eaten by some sort of microbe first)

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
    edited August 2015
    Not sure what you're getting at about the "few hundred years". IIRC, the scientific consensus seems to be that at the current rate of emissions (to say nothing of what happens if space tourism ADDS to that) it's all going to hit the fan much sooner than that. But yeah - in particular, I hope nobody lives under these spacecraft's actual launch path if they become a regular thing, that's going to make a serious mess!

Interesting random fact that's turned up (same website): black carbon in the stratosphere is the same mechanism that would cause the notorious "nuclear winter" phenomenon. http://www.sgr.org.uk/resources/uk-nuclear-weapons-catastrophe-making#Nuclear_winter Not really clear how they make out that it would cause warming in one scenario (by trapping heat) and cooling in the other (by blocking it out). Am a member so will ask on the e-mail list.

Off-topic, I like your Sylviana character sheet (and the character). I'm trying to write a superhero adventure story and that's given me ideas - not copied, I don't mean, but from it being a good demonstration of how you put a character together and what ingredients you need to build a good one.
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Nanotubules are fine for their uses - but at better than 22,000 statute miles due up, "nano" isn't quite the right scale.

Basically on space elevators, it seems nanotubes have the tensile strength required for a cable long enough, but we can't grow them nearly long enough. Yet. Materials tech is crazy
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Though I agree in broad terms about long term change, I'm just going to refer to the bit I snipped.
    patrickngo wrote: »
    the problem with the 'Scientific consensus' is that they keep having to move the goalposts for when the 'crisis' hits, and they've at least once reversed temperature direction while pushing the exact SAME 'solution'.

That's the point. Science changes its position when new evidence becomes available. It's not a problem, it's its greatest strength.

The other thing you missed in you points against short term change is mitigation. Humans actively working to undo anthropogenic change. We may not be able to stop it, but we can delay certain effects for a few hundred years.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    Patrick, when you were in school, the scientific consensus was not that "pollution would push us into a new Ice Age". There was one nutjob who said that, and since his tales made for more dramatic headlines than the words of climate scientists, he got the cover of Time and some newspaper coverage. (Remember that this happened in the '70s - the same era that gave us Uri Gellar and Eric von Daniken. Scientific rigor wasn't exactly top priority in newsmaking.)

On the other tentacle, global climate shift is visible now. I grew up in a neighborhood in the Pacific Northwest that was called "Cedarview", pushing the large numbers of cedars growing wild there. There aren't any cedars growing there now - the climate's too dry for them. Even the firs are thinning out, being replaced by more drought-tolerate pines. And this is in an area that's long been famous for its rainfall!

A few years back, the Australian weather maps had to add a color to describe the heat in the Outback, because their old scale just didn't go far enough.

Last winter, for the second time ever, the starting point of the Iditarod dogsled race in Alaska had to be moved, because the official starting point didn't have any snow. The last time this happened? 2005. Currently there are over 300 separate wildfires burning in Alaska, because it's been so dry for the past few years.

Sinkholes in New York, droughts in the Northwest (just the West, for our Canadian friends), heavy rains and flooding in Texas and Arizona, the navies of several nations planning for an ice-free Arctic Ocean in a few years, the collapse of the Greenland glaciers, oceanic acidification - the data are all there, for anyone who wants to examine them. And no, these phenomena are not coupled with solar output, nor with sunspots, but they do correlate nicely with atmospheric CO2 levels, which have been dramatically raised over the past two hundred years by humans. Some of the curves are slowing, because we're actually trying as a species not to ruin our ecosystem just yet, but there's still a lot of work left to be done.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    artan42 wrote: »
    Though I agree in broad terms about long term change, I'm just going to refer to the bit I snipped.
    the problem with the 'Scientific consensus' is that they keep having to move the goalposts for when the 'crisis' hits, and they've at least once reversed temperature direction while pushing the exact SAME 'solution'.

That's the point. Science changes its position when new evidence becomes available. It's not a problem, it's its greatest strength.

The other thing you missed in you points against short term change is mitigation. Humans actively working to undo anthropogenic change. We may not be able to stop it, but we can delay certain effects for a few hundred years.

Oh, you misunderstand me. the EXACT SAME MITIGATIONS for completely different stated problems isn't science changing it's mind so much as using a different problem to push the same agenda, meanwhile also pushing an idea to the public that it won't change if they just do the right rituals, pay more taxes, etc.

The Climate is Going to change.

Yes it is, and? You suggesting we should't try stop it? The evidence strongly suggests we are responsible for the period of rapid change since the European Industrial Revolution. Are you somehow suggesting moving to new fuel sources or building more wind farms is somehow a bad idea? Or are you of an opinion that the science is a global conspiracy to get you to pay more taxes?
    Period. It's a dynamic system, the only climate that isn't going to change is...what, maybe the one on Luna? (no, wait, lunar orbit's getting wider yearly, so that one's going to change too.)

The Moon has no climate, changing their orbit will not give it a climate.

Jonsills-how long have we kept records on temps in Alaska? I'm betting less than 200 years. The Iditarod is certainly less than 200 years old.
    you know, REAL climate research instead of Envirobusiness hucksterism and political bullshitting to push an agenda that hasn't proven popular enough when dead birds, coal fires, mutated froggies, etc. failed to sell it.

I also made a distinction between the "Popular Science" BS that politicians use, and real review of the actual papers it's based on. READ them. The honest ones admit to a ratio of error far beyond the predicted impacts...oh, and if you want to retain heat in an atmosphere?

You want to give examples or just cry 'conspiracy' again?
    WATER VAPOR. H2O, retains significantly more than methane OR CO2.

Can we do anything about the water vapour? No. Can we do something about the carbon dioxide? Yes.
    Pushing alternative energies is good, pushing for efficiency is good. Making up scare stories is NOT good, basing policy on an error rate up to 100 times the chance of percentage of change is NOT GOOD policy.

What scare stories? That the Earth is warming overall or that sea levels are rising? Or that we're running out of resources? Scare stories they may be but true none the less.
    Reducing dependence on oil? is a good idea. Ditto for reducing dependence on fossil fuels-not because you're 'saving the earth' but because you're reducing your reliance on tinpot psychopath dictators that start wars and sponsor terrorism.

Or maybe because it's both. Unless you think there's a limitless supply of oil or that it's somehow not harmful getting it out?
    'greening' areas? because it's nicer to live there, because the water's cleaner, because you're a person and a jacket of smogged concrete sucks. You're not saving hte earth, you're not even having an impact when you put a green roof on your building or convert to solar-you're saving some money on utilities and maybe even making a bit back by selling your excess.

Yeah, the maths fails on that one. One less house on the National Grid is one less house they need to supply, multiply that by all the houses in an area, that could be shutting down a power station.
    The climate is changing, it's GOING to change, that's guaranteed just based off of math and observation. human beings don't have the first real clue where we fit into that, if we fit into it.

Really? I do. You might not but I do.
    The best we can hope for, is to adapt to that change at a rate that lets us keep this civilization going long enough to actually get a solid, real-world-workings grasp on HOW it works, WHY it works, and WHAT position we have in that working.
    (and how to survive those changes.)

Well we try, but people cry conspiracy and try stop funding the people who are actually trying to find out.
    "Mankind is killing the world!!!" is a great way to feed arrogance and ego, to feel important, or to feel like you are part of something of importance. It's NOT a good idea if you're doing science.

Who claimed that? Hurting sure, not killing. I could't care less about ego as long as it gives people the kick up the TRIBBLE they need to try help.
    GOOD science doesn't change the inputs to match an intended output. So far, that is exactly what has been done to sell this thing about how mankind is killing the earth.

Nope. Because if you notated it's the expected output that has changed. Global cooling - global warming - climate change. You said it yourself earlier on.

Do do you have a suggestion about the rapid change data dating from the European Industrial Revolution suggesting anthropogenic climate change? It's not sunspots is it, that one makes me laugh.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    We're not killing "the world"--life in general has survived even having 98% of all species becoming extinct in one go (the Permian-Triassic extinction a bit over 200 million years ago). We are however killing off those species which live exclusively in places where we have chopped down, dug up, plowed up, or flooded the terrain for out own use, as well as near our toxic dumping sites (look up the recent heavy metal plume that has been making its way down the rivers from the Gold King mine).

Carbon issues aside, we do need to rein in dumping of toxic materials, if only because stuff that is carelessly dumped finds its way into the water we drink and the food we eat, and thus into our own bodies. I'm far more worried about sulfates and other toxins in coal and oil than I am about the carbon.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    wombat140 wrote: »
    JoranTomalak and Dalolorn: The difference is, Columbus and his fellow explorers were only risking their own lives (and frequently losing them), and that was their look-out. Whereas this is risking the lives of people everywhere who have no say in the matter. Do we have a right to do that? Anyway, from all I've heard, most of this has nothing to do with "space exploration", it's just taking rich people on day trips up to 110km (definitely not unexplored territory, not even as high as the ISS or a communications satellite) and down again. I know the argument is that it's good practice for rocket-builders, but it seems a pretty drastic cost just for practice...

I am not sure the millions of people who had no choice and died due to the risks Columbus took would agree with that. Columbus was hardly only risking his own life. His risks killed into the countless millions.
    edited August 2015
    Good points, both :D and neither of them very good adverts for the "let's just do this" principle...
    Catastrophic Anthorpogenic Global Warming? NOT REAL. It's possible-but so far, when you actually LOOK AT THE DATA and the experiments, the predictions are miniscule, the error ratio enormous, the panic unwarranted, and the 'solutions' are the same ones the Environmental movement was pushing when my mom was a hippie in the sixties and seventies.

well, carbon exchanges are new, but the mechanism they were supposed to generate was proposed back when they thought pollution was going to bring on a never-ending winter.
    Examples or forever hold your peace. And it makes perfect sense for the solutions to be the same - because the causes they're supposed to be addressing are the same, even if views have changed about what the outcome of those causes was supposed to be. (Which, as Jonsills pointed out, ain't really so.)

On the original topic...
    people getting wrapped around their axle over a solid-fuel rocket-plane htat maybe makes one trip in two years. Dogmas have the potential of killing real solutions to real problems...
    No, it's not about "one trip in two years" - if it was, it'd be less worrying. The article's talking about what happens if the space tourism companies manage to do what they themselves say they aim to do, and run 1,000 flights a year. And I can't honestly see what "real problem" that would be solving. The problem of rich kids not knowing what to spend all that money on?
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    Well, one could argue that 'dogma is dangerous' is itself dogmatic. :tongue:

Perhaps a compromise between your standpoints would be viable, though. Don't do anything to discourage this sort of thing, but rather encourage better methods of getting into orbit.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
    another way to put it is, if Mankind is such a burden on the environment, if technological civilization is such a grave danger, and you don't want to give up your internets, latte's, hipster coffee house lifestyle? the answer's both horrifying, and simple.

wipe out the third world and the 'developing' world and turn it into a nature park.

Fewer people=fewer carbon footprints, right? and you don't need all those coal plants and oil-burners and such if there aren't any people using htem, do you? say, cut the entire human race down to around 1/100th the numbers we have now, and...

it's ugly, but if you accept wholly the AGW hypothesis as promoted, it's the most efficient means of reducing human impact on the climate-remove the humans down to what certain environmental cults consider 'viable' numbers (about 500 million).

The scary thing is that this might come to pass in a slightly more limited manner. We could find ourselves a century from now having 12 billion people to feed but only capable of producing enough food to feed 10 billion. Somebody will have to starve, and it will probably be the world's most powerless people getting the short straw.