test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Suggestion on what to do with bind-on-pickup items

calidhriscalidhris Member Posts: 35 Arc User
Everybody who has levelled through the various reputation systems on several characters will at this point be familiar with the large amount of unusable blue or purple items the reward boxes offer. Others are mission rewards or mission replay rewards which are only good for selling off to the vendor.

Occasionally there'll be something you can use temporarily until you'll be able to get the item you really want and slightly more often you'll get an elite mark which you can then turn into gear or dilithium.

Once a reputation system has been completed, there's the hourly projects left. They offer a better ratio for mark to dilithium conversion than the straight 500 mark / 2 elite mark (or multiples thereof) to dilithium, but they also require a small amount of energy credits and expertise.

I've found that the energy credit amount spent on these projects is generally less than the amount you get back when you sell the item in question to a 50% vendor. It seems to me that it's just a lot of pointless point-and-click in order to convert some marks to dilithium and to increase the amount of your energy credits marginally.

Now here is a suggestion on what to do with the items in question:

Give us a reputation project, doff assignment, fleet starbase contact or whatever else who takes rejected items and turns them into other useful materials.

Those could be crafting materials, commodities, fleet buffs [such as a fleet-only dilithium voucher perhaps? that'd be neat!] or fleet marks, that sort of thing.

Depending on the quality of the object turned in, the results on the breakdown could vary, with the very rare items offering greater rewards for turning them in.

The same could be done for other items which the player wishes to discard.

When I bring home a full inventory of stuff most of it is vendor trash, and usually I get enough credits for it to be able to buy one or two Salvaged Technology (an item that seems to have a relatively stable price around the 400k EC mark).

I realise that, overall, these items are the main source of energy credits in the game (most other things players do to earn ECs, such as selling keys or Salvaged Technology or what not, only redistributes the ECs but does not generate any). Still, the amount of useless stuff one gets from the drops, increasingly so since the R&D/Upgrade system went live, is mind-boggling.

In my opinion, implementing a system that lets you do something with these items besides turning them into energy credits would add some depth to the game, something that all players could participate in.

Implementing this for basically all items would also raise their EC value on the exchange again, something people who do not wish to participate in this system could also benefit from.

Comments

• captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    That would be a great system! I would also suggest PERHAPS changing the frequency of loot drops. It is becoming an slight aggravation, especially with the new missions. IE: Kill boss ship get engine battery. Really? An engine battery for a boss ship? The system you suggest would be awesome! Hopefully someone takes note an at least CONSIDERS this. Only problem I can see is the possibility of the value of ECs dropping if they are easier to get. Then again if players have MORE EC's they may be more likely to buy things off exchange, and/or upgrade tokens, etc.
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • calidhriscalidhris Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    ECs are easy to get as it is. It was easier before the developers reduced the item value of some previously expensive objects (especially engines, shields, deflectors, power cores) shortly after the droprate had increased significantly (see 'foundry farm'). The result was that prices on the exchange (for items worth having, anyway) increased significantly. This is due to a reduced supply of energy credits.

Buying or selling anything on the exchange doesn't generate or remove energy credits at all, it only redistributes them among the player base. With fewer items turned in for energy credits (or, as was done, reduced item value).

The way the player base loses energy credits is by buying items off vendors, especially fleet commodities, and by EC-rich players leaving the game. Those credits are technically still there but they're not being used.

The character-binding of items is actually a useful tool to control the amount of the energy credit currency. This also goes for bound items that are mission or reputation system rewards (though in their case, the additional [sarcasm]benefit[/sarcasm] is to prevent players from acquiring more than one copy of a particular item so as to prevent them from creating a build or a matching away team with them). However, in light of the repuation system and fleet gear being much better than anything you get as a mission reward, this aspect is a bit of a moot point.

For in-game economy reasons, however, my suggestion should not result in a larger yield of energy credits for the players who turn in these items. That would be counterproductive with regards to balancing. The benefits should be of a different nature.

Personally, I'd most like to see something that would help small fleets, especially. Dilithium cost in fleet projects is prohibitive for small fleets, yet there are plenty of people who prefer a small, close-knit community over a large group where most people don't know one another. Something to help smaller groups would thus be most appreciated.