test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Racers "stealing flags"

senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
There seems to be some kind of glitch or exploit that appears to be allowing players to "steal" flags in the Powerboard Race, by grabbing a second after already having taken one.

Saw a race winner grab both 1st place and 2nd place flag right in front of me, without absolutely any other racer being close to it.
Post edited by senatorvreenak on

Comments

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    You mean you can claim multiple places?
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Hmm, I've never seen this happen before myself, perhaps something that broke in the maintenance?
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    From what I've heard, you can not only claim multiple places, you can actually claim the same place more than once, too. Haven't seen it myself, though.

At this point, is there anything about the flag-pickup mechanic that isn't bad in every possible way?
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    warpangel wrote: »
    From what I've heard, you can not only claim multiple places, you can actually claim the same place more than once, too. Haven't seen it myself, though.

At this point, is there anything about the flag-pickup mechanic that isn't bad in every possible way?

But all of that must have been in place last year already, probably the year before as well. Considering nothing changed at all means Cryptic is convinced that grabbing the flag races is the best and optimal way of dealing with it.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    torgaddon101torgaddon101 Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    never seen this.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    not that I`m calling you a liar but I find this very hard to believe.

at the start of the race the join race prompt pops up on screen and by pressing "f" or clicking the prompt with your mouse you effectively start the mission for the race.
    at the end of the race when you get to the flag by pressing "f" or clicking the prompt with your mouse you effectively end the mission for the race.

I really don't see any way you could ever end the mission twice, in game terms it would be a major bug at the very least that would allow you to do this, I have never seen this in any other mission and never heard of any player that ever been able to end a single mission twice before now.

you should file a ticket for this immediately with the devs I am sure they will look in to this very quickly.
    warpangel wrote: »

as they use this method for the winter race as well as the summer race it could well be this is the only way to do this in a multiplayer race, I`m not saying this is the case for sure just that its possible.
    if this bug is found to be present and they cannot fix it any other way they may be left with only one option, that being to remove this race and possibly the winter race also completely from the game.

shame really as its really a fun event.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Cryptic needs to simply make races end with an actual finish line. Your reward is automatically given based on what order people cross the line. Problem solved. And by implementing that one mechanic, you will simultaneously fix both the summer AND winter event.

Cryptic, are you reading this? Make the races end via finish lines, like a race is supposed to be.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    olliereportolliereport Member Posts: 721
    edited June 2015
    yeah, there's something to this, and it may or may not have anything to do with maintenance

the problem is that there's 2 races. one to get to the end, and the other to grab a flag

A couple times I have had opportunity to grab both first and second, I haven't tried it, it was just too much of a **** move. But it's happened.
    >>>>>> Mind you, it would be easy to do this by accident, I could have perhaps even done this without knowing it. Why? Because it is as I said, it's 2 races and when you finish it's just button mashing.

As for claiming the same place twice, never seen it. But with lag anything is possible sometimes. So maybe. Even though Risa, seems to have a pretty high server priority, I haven't seen much lag. Sure, a skip here or there, but it's just not a lot of lag.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    lindaleff wrote: »
    Cryptic needs to simply make races end with an actual finish line. Your reward is automatically given based on what order people cross the line. Problem solved. And by implementing that one mechanic, you will simultaneously fix both the summer AND winter event.

Cryptic, are you reading this? Make the races end via finish lines, like a race is supposed to be.

as I said in my last comment, "as they use this method for the winter race as well as the summer race it could well be this is the only way to do this in a multiplayer race, I`m not saying this is the case for sure just that its possible."

I don't know how they can and cant code the end mission into the game and whether they can even make it so its a case of first across the line.

I am sure there have been a lot of players complain about this and I`m sure they would have altered it if they could but it may well be that its just not possible to do it any other way.

it may be that in 99% of races this would work fine but then you might get that very rare case where two or more players cross the line at the same time with the game crashing out the server and perhaps worse as a result.

this just leads me back to the other thing I said in my last comment, "if this bug is found to be present and they cannot fix it any other way they may be left with only one option, that being to remove this race and possibly the winter race also completely from the game."

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I would have probably set it up differently.

Instead of everyone racing to grab the flag, the goal would be to run a best time lap.
    The result would only be determined by the time the last participating player crosses the finish line and the system compares the results.
    That would take care of the problem of lag showing you ahead while the other player actually is.

To not draw it out to much players have to start the race within, let's say, 10 seconds of the starting signal to not get disqualified.

And then you could have a complete ranking at the end popping up on screen similar to pvp score boards.

That would open up a few more possibilities, too.

The game could keep track of the day's best time and give the best racer an additional reward and even have an all event best time reward when the event ends which could even be something big like a classic Risian ship.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I *smile* at you people and your race. :)

No, seriously, just because it says 'competitive', doesn't mean you have to be! Just be like me: get yourself a well color-coordinated bathing suit + board, look good on that thang, and just have fun. :P So what if you only get 15 Lohlunats instead of 25?! Come to the dance-off, and gain 100 of these LOLunats, just standing around!

Risa is really just about having fun. :) The only ever time I get upset a bit, is during the Winter event, when I can't complete that stupid ice race (and am thus missing out on a Breen ship); but the 'Flying High' mission is super-easy ("I am a leaf on the wind; watch how I soar!"). Wee!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »
    But all of that must have been in place last year already, probably the year before as well. Considering nothing changed at all means Cryptic is convinced that grabbing the flag races is the best and optimal way of dealing with it.

Considering all the flame I can read on the forums cryptic is right :D
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Probably sync issues would make this very difficult to do.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    There seems to be some kind of glitch or exploit that appears to be allowing players to "steal" flags in the Powerboard Race, by grabbing a second after already having taken one.

Saw a race winner grab both 1st place and 2nd place flag right in front of me, without absolutely any other racer being close to it.

I did it once by accident with the 2nd and 3rd place flags because It delayed, finally took and the next one appeared to and gave me that as well..... I think there is some back-end server lag going on causing it,because I've also noticed cases where I will be there at flag to claim and it will not give me the dialogue to even claim it.... one time I cam in 2nd, sat by teh flag with no dialogue, someone else knabbed it, I went to the 3rd place flag and no dialogue and someone else got that one, and then I had to stand by the finish flag for about 10 seconds before it even gave me a dialogue to finish the race with.
  • Options
    vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Grabbing 1st AND 2nd is possible. I had it happen to me as I was spamming the F button to grab first I also grabbed 2nd too as I ran back towards the dance off. There's a small window it seems where 2nd place spawns and glows and if you happen to have grabbed 1st and are close enough for 2nd you grab that too. This is a new bug as far as I know as winter event has them spaced out more and don't recall it being around last year. This isn't always deliberate and it's not guaranteed to pull off as 2nd can appear left or right of 1st place. Best thing really is to spread the flags out or better yet just remove the flags altogether and have it as cross the line which Cryptic can do as it happens constantly through the actual race. Just have the last one give a reward and the 2nd and 3rd rewards based on for example an optional which if not completed you get less reward.
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    the sync problem can be easily solved with a timer and the reward given automatically
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Surely in a game that actually has areas that rely heavily on syncing between players (i.e. the whole of PVP) changing the way the race ends should not be something too complex!

I mean the very basis of PVP game play is based on your character/ship registering that something has happened based on what another player has done. It works fine there (apart from lag on server) so why would it be to complicated for a simple race.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Is this bug similar to that bug in the Fast and the Flurrious where the first one to click the flag fails the race before it even begins?
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I haven't pulled this off, but I've come close. I can easily believe that someone else had it happen to them with a slightly better system.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2015

So much of their missions are based on scripts occurring when you get past a point. Amazing this has never been done so that it removes half the drama associated with the races.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    This could be fixed though it seems like a lag issue which has been a long term problem so probably not. Any serious revamp of the race mechanics won't happen this year for summer, maybe winter if they really wanted too.

Honestly it seems like the Summer event was just a minor afterthought this year. Many devs have mentioned that work begins on the Summer Event during the Winter Event (and vice versa), so it's arguable that Cryptic loosing employees recently can't be blamed. Of course, that depends on when actual work began on the event and not when planning happened.

Anyway, my point is the event this year is underwhelming and it seems like not a lot of time is going into it.
    y1arXbh.png

• Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yes, it's possible, and it actually usually happens on accident. You cross the line, you start mashing F to take the flag, and before you know it, you've picked up 2 flags. Not even intentional (usually).

A similar bug occasionally allows you to pick up two horga'hns from the same statue site in the horga'hn hunt.

It's a lag issue. You activate the item and collect the rewards before the mission actually registers as ended.
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    So much of their missions are based on scripts occurring when you get past a point. Amazing this has never been done so that it removes half the drama associated with the races.

I think the issue there is that there is a first place goal, a second place goal, a third place goal, and a 4th+ place goal. If the mission rewarded the same thing for everyone, it would be simple to have a 'finish line'... but there needs to be a way for the game to recognize how many people have crossed that line, and in what order. I just don't think that kind of tech is built into the scripting.

I don't try to complain much about the flag system. I know it's unpopular, but after... what, five years of it's implementation, I realize that it's simply part of the event, and if you can't game it, you're not doing it right. The lag concerns are certainly valid, but the flags just are what they are.
  • Options
    sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I don't know about this conspiracy, but I lost a third place because the game did not acknowledge me sitting right on top of the flag. Even when I moved to the final flag it took about 3-5 seconds for the game to show the claim dialog. U/I responsiveness is ruining gameplay.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Missions like Crystalline Cataclysm already are able to determine a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place automatically once an end point is passed by using a whole range of different parameters to assess player actions.
    If they can work out something where it works for missions (a wholly more complex environment) then the race situation should be considerably easier by comparison.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    apeinuiapeinui Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    Missions like Crystalline Cataclysm already are able to determine a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place automatically once an end point is passed by using a whole range of different parameters to assess player actions.
    If they can work out something where it works for missions (a wholly more complex environment) then the race situation should be considerably easier by comparison.

Exactly this. There's no good reason we can't have this.

Yes, I happened to steal flags on two occasions, not that I intended to or cared that I did.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I have seen it myself, where it gives you the option to grab another flag, once you have grabbed 1st or 2nd.

Heck, I have even built a sandcastle, off of the exact same sandcastle as someone else, simply because we both timed the bucket snag perfectly.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    And it just happened again, allowed me to take the 3rd place and also finish flag rewards mahing "F"
  • Options
    kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I got first and second once as well. Clicking 'F' a bunch at the end as there were 2 of us in a dead heat.